“excellent in every way”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: The first UK restaurant to be awarded one, two, and then three Michelin stars, Le Gavroche remains a class apart. Since opening in 1967, this Mayfair bastion of French cuisine has been very much a family affair, and chef-patron Michel Roux Jr continues the tradition today. The elegance of the menu and the ambience is impeccably tailored, while the discreet service has won its own plaudits.
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Eight course tasting menu was outstanding, cheese soufflé, crab hollandaise and cheese trolley were the standouts - very good house champagne, stunning leflaive 2009 montrachet - service impeccable and discreet. faultless!!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,153)

Reviewed April 2, 2014

This was honestly a wonderful dining experience. From the moment we stepped in the door, we were extremely well looked after. Anything we might have needed was offered and the attention to detail from the waiting staff was truly incredible. We came for a joint birthday meal and no-one was disappointed!
The food was absolutely superb, there was nothing I could have faulted, absolutely nothing! The portions were very good too which I was pleasantly surprised by, I was filling up a few mouthfuls into my main!
Michelle himself came out into the restaurant to personally check that all his guests were happy, which I thought was great. I asked to buy a cookbook and Michelle brought it out to our table and signed it for me, which was another great, personal touch.
I don't think anyone on our table had ever been so sad to leave a restaurant at the end of our meal!
The meal itself is pricey but totally worth it, for what you get. The staff really have it together here, making it wonderfully personal.
This was a truly exceptional treat, so thank you to everyone at Le Gavroche for a fantastic experience!

Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

Dined here recently as a gift for my 30th birthday. I was lucky enough to have a voucher for the tasting menu with wine pairing.

10 courses of incredible food, 8 glasses of superbly chosen wines, unrivalled service levels and a beautiful environment made this, without doubt, the best meal of my life.

Highlights for me were the crab gratin with chilli and the stone bass with ras el hanout and pastilla, simply divine.

It will take a LOT to top my experience at Le Gavroche.

1  Thank Holmesyboy_uk
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We have not been to Le Gavroche for at least 5 years and were still just as impressed.

Our reservation was for lunch for two at £54 per person, although we had a few extra drinks which did push the price up but we still felt that we had excellent value. A meal there is to be treasured, not only for the food but also for those hidden extras such as the excellent waiting staff who seamlessly go about their business of cosseting the diners.

The dining room has the delightful air of a private club and as you would expect from such a stellar restaurant, tables are the right distance apart and the sound of diners is not too loud.

The quality of the food was outstanding and the amuses bouche and petit fours were equally imaginative. I chose brandade of cod to start and my husband chose sea bass with a delicate beetroot salad. We both opted for pressed lamb with sweetbreads and kidneys and were not disappointed. The cheese trolley was something to behold and following that we shared a divine panna cotta.

We don't eat out regularly any more as we can so often be disappointed. To come to Le Gavroche is a treat and we shall look forward to coming back again in the future.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

This was a special treat, a combination of a birthday celebration and Christmas gift. The only booking we could get was 9:30pm sitting which was later that I would normally choose to eat, but given the popularity of the place, we had very little choice in the matter despite booking the requisite 60 days in advance.
We were greeted on arrival and took a seat in the upstairs bar area where we enjoyed a glass of Champagne and ordered our food. We both opted for the Menu Exceptional (taster menu).

Shortly after, we were shown to our table. The whole surroundings are very classically decorated but clearly are super clean and well maintained.

The food was rich and indulgent with every course and despite only being small portions, I never thought they should be bigger or any more than what they were. Each course was paired with a wine that complimented the dish well, although some wines were more to my particular taste than others. By the end of the meal, we were both extremely full, and it's quite amazing how such small portions fill you up.

The service was exemplary and everyone seemed to know exactly what their particular role was in a well rehearsed choreography.

I would highly recommend a visit to this restaurant, even if this is a once in a lifetime experience.