“Faultless”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: The first UK restaurant to be awarded one, two, and then three Michelin stars, Le Gavroche remains a class apart. Since opening in 1967, this Mayfair bastion of French cuisine has been very much a family affair, and chef-patron Michel Roux Jr continues the tradition today. The elegance of the menu and the ambience is impeccably tailored, while the discreet service has won its own plaudits.
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I have been looking forward to dining here for some time - and rightly so.
My expectations were high,and met on every level.
The dining room is relaxed - staff exceptional and the food some of the best I have tasted.
Lots of nice touches along the way too - a wine list that would take a night to read - (but you don't have to push the boat out with some very reasonably priced good wines),and a great menu with something for everyone.
The crab gratin I had to start was incredible - and I swapped for Mrs T's scallops half way through - superb.
We shared the mains too - this place is relaxed enough to do this - in fact it is encouraged to get to try as many things as you can by virtue of the tasting menu available and the sweet taster course with lots of spoons.
The pork main for two to share was sensational,I don't remember the last time I tried pork that good,the pheasant for two also fantastic flavour.
They are not so pretentious as to leave salt and pepper off the table - however we never touched it - every last thing on the plate is seasoned to perfection.
Michel Roux Jnr himself visited the table and is a charming,intense and passionate chap - but not too important to pop and say hello - nice touch.
If I was to find one thing - and it would be nit picking -it took the waiting staff a while to carve the pheasant when the other mains were already served,so we sat looking at our meals for a few minutes before starting,however they had not gone cold so no harm done.
I loved this place and will recommend highly if you enjoy good food and service - don't expect Heston style theatrics - but good tasty well prepared and presented food served by a team of true pro's.
A special and memorable night.

2  Thank Tornado43
Write a ReviewReviews (3,172)

Reviewed December 27, 2013

We have only been once that was 17 years ago sponsors Financial times the food was fantastic and the wines to accompany each course were exceptional this was a 60th Birthday Present from my daughter a meal I will never forget and a young Michael Jnr signed my wife's Menu

Reviewed December 27, 2013

We visited Le Gavroche on the evening of the 30th November. This was our third visit and on this occasion we were two of the guests celebrating the 40th Wedding Anniversary of old friends. They had taken over the whole restaurant for the evening and it was quite an evening. Canapes were served upstairs before descending to the restaurant for the meal. Michel Roux spoke and told everyone in some detail what we were to expect. The food was superb and beautifully presented and served by attentive but unobtrusive staff. Our hosts were delighted with the success of their evening as were all the guests. As for the cost ? Well perfection comes at a price. If you are thinking of buying a Rolls Royce and are worried about the fuel consumption then you can't afford it. The same goes for Le Gavroche.

1  Thank BossKent
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

What a wonderful night out..
As a toastmaster and master of ceremonies for weddings and events, I get to meet many types of people, and I was recommended your restaurant... I was not disappointed one bit.. Will return soon...

Reviewed December 23, 2013

La Gavroche provides the quintessential French Cuisine fine dining experience. It was on our bucket list of things to do before moving away from London, and we thoroughly enjoyed the experience. You cannot find fault with the service or presentation, and the food is divine.

My only reflection on the experience: since it is steeped in traditional French dishes (acknowledging some have a modern twist), it seems to hold itself back from doing wild and amazing things with newer cooking techniques and flavour combinations.

Even so, it is one of the best places to eat, certainly in London, if not anywhere!