“Outstanding food and service but....”
Review of Le Gavroche

Le Gavroche
Ranked #43 of 22,834 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: The first UK restaurant to be awarded one, two, and then three Michelin stars, Le Gavroche remains a class apart. Since opening in 1967, this Mayfair bastion of French cuisine has been very much a family affair, and chef-patron Michel Roux Jr continues the tradition today. The elegance of the menu and the ambience is impeccably tailored, while the discreet service has won its own plaudits.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Outstanding food and service but....”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

3rd time here and still very very good. Because we love the place so much I don't want to criticize, however.... We all 4 had the taster menu at £120 per head without wine. The portion sizes were on the small size to be honest, some just 2 mouthfuls. All wonderfully presented and high std of food but simply not enough. The waiting staff were chatty (which I like) and approachable. One of my pet hates is getting stitched up on the wine prices but here there was all range of prices and when I selected a white at around £65 and then asked about a red he directed me to a bottle of a similar price. Michel Roux did pop in and he was as charming as ever. My pals own a fine dining restaurant in Southsea Hants called Restaurant 27 (go there!) and he chatted to my friend the chef patron which was charming. The bill ended up at just shy of £900 for the 4 taster menu and 3 bottles of wine. I didn't notice the inclusive tip of £90 as I always take the tip of bills and leave cash at the table based on the overall experience.. Anyway it was all good but just not as good as I remember last time.. (maybe thats just me!) I'd rate this at 8/10 this time around but would I go back, yes but there are other places I want to try..

3 Thank HampshireNat

• Thai first
Hull
“Stunning!”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

It was my second time at Le Gavroche, this time with my extended family to celebrate my 21st Birthday. Truthfully, I can fault it at all. It was a exceptional meal that I will not forget!

1 Thank Joerennard
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

I surprised my mother to a meal at le gavroche for her 60th birthday due to her love of Michel Roux Jr on masterchef! She was absolutely chuffed and the second i saw the dining room i knew we were in for a treat! Everything from the exquisitely laid tables with the beautiful cutlery and plates to the elaborate flower displays around the room. Very old school and traditional but so very classy and elegant. We are by no means rich people and i saved for this for some time but we were made to feel welcome and as valued a guest as any other. We both opted for the set menu of 9 courses and my mother also had the accompanying wine selections for each course. I won't spoil it by telling you what the courses were but they were all divine!!! We met many members of staff and every single one of them was very knowledgeable. As others have said,Michel Roux Jr himself made an appearance at the end of service and took time with each party, he was the perfect gentleman, even ignoring the fact that my mother was a little squiffy after all the delicious wines (well it was her 60th!!!). I would recommend this even to people who arent foodies as its an experience not to be forgotton!! But obviously foodies will looooove it!!! I would love to go back!

3 Thank EiranT
Sussex
“Excellent traditional French cuisine”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Le Gavroche is a splendid restaurant which serves excellent food.

The room has the feeling of la belle epoque. It is quite crowded and dark, but it is stylish. Perhaps it appears crowded because there are a tremendous number of waiting staff, so the ratio of staff to diners high. This adds to the feeling that this is a busy room.

All the dishes are correctly prepared and served in the traditional manner. There is an exceptional wine list. A set lunch is available which offers tremendous value. If on business or visiting London, this is a great place to have lunch. Dinner is a treat.

London, United Kingdom
“Best lunch in London”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Came for lunch as a belated 80 th birthday treat for my uncle ( who is a regular here!). Last dined here almost 10 years ago and am glad to say standards have not slipped at all.
The prix fixe lunch menu has got to be the best value for food of this calibre in any of the worldwide destinations I've visited.
The service is unobtrusive and attentive and the food is excellent. There is an a la carte option but the options on the prix fixe were varied enough to render that much more expensive option unnecessary. The inclusive wines were also good.
The icing on the cake? Meeting Michel Roux Jr!

• Visited September 2013