“Exceptional. Worth the wait for a table.”
Review of Le Gavroche

Le Gavroche
Ranked #54 of 23,211 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: The first UK restaurant to be awarded one, two, and then three Michelin stars, Le Gavroche remains a class apart. Since opening in 1967, this Mayfair bastion of French cuisine has been very much a family affair, and chef-patron Michel Roux Jr continues the tradition today. The elegance of the menu and the ambience is impeccably tailored, while the discreet service has won its own plaudits.
Reviewed August 24, 2013

It was, without doubt, one of the best restaurant experiences I have ever had. If you want to know any more than that - read on!

Wanting to treat my girlfriend to something special on her birthday, and as big fans of Michel Roux Jr's approach to cooking, I decided to reserve a table for a Friday lunch at Le Gavroche several months in advance. As of early 2013 the restaurant implemented a policy of only taking reservations three months to the day in advance and as I had a whole weekend in London geared around this lunch I tried several different ways to secure a table five or so months ahead - none worked. Credit card concierge (which once got us into Noma at two week's notice), our hotel concierge, begging - nothing worked. The restaurant wouldn't budge - and, to be honest, this really began to annoy me as I all wanted to do was spend money there and know my weekend plans were sorted. So, at 8.50am GMT three months to the day of the booking I found myself making excuses to leave a work meeting abroad to spend around 15 or so minutes on hold to the now familiar booking phone line music and finally got through and got a table. Hurrah! A sense of achievement but surely it shouldn't have to be this difficult?!? To be fair, I level this criticism at them and to the other high-end restaurants who have the same policy. I imagine it's so waiting lists don't get too out of hand and people get deterred - a nice problem for a restaurant to have though.

Anyway, that was the one and only criticism I have of Le Gavroche. The rest was absolute perfection.

The atmosphere in the restaurant downstairs was really nice - it had a great buzz, one of being in an instiution, and despite every male diner wearing a jacket and tie (despite the latter not being officially required) it didn't feel stuffy at all thanks to the impeccable and friendly service.

We opted for the Business Lunch menu at £52 per head and were not only blown away by the sheer quality of the food, the presentation, the breads, the tableware etc but the price - £52 for a proper two-star experience including a very nice quality half-bottle of wine each, water, amuse bouche, coffee, we thought, was fantastic value for what we got. You can of course spend a lot, lot more on the tasting menus and the wine list.

I'd asked in advance for a tour of the kitchen, and after service and a small wait, this happened and it was fascinating to see just how compact the kitchen is! Michel Roux Jr wasn't there on that day - he is regularly though - but the reservations lady had, very kindly, arranged for Michel to sign a book with a personal message in advance of the day for me - thank you very much Heather.

Le Gavroche is a very special place and, unlike some other world-class restaurants where I feel like I have ticked a box by going to them, I will fondly look forward to returning there in the years to come.

1  Thank londonbristolboy
There are newer reviews for Le Gavroche

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We have wanted to go to Le Gavroche for a REALLY long time, but at £400 for the evening (for two... and we didn't push the boat out too far on the wine) it took a while for us to justify the cost in our minds.

We decided to go to celebrate our one month wedding anniversary (read: to make ourselves feel better having returned from honeymoon). It was well worth it - we had the menu exceptionnel and every course was incredible. The food was very rich but worth every single calorie... My personal favourite was the cheese souffle - who knew that's what a souffle was supposed to taste like??

The service was impeccable and Michel Roux Jr came out of the kitchen twice to see if we were enjoying our food (we BOTH have a small crush on him from Masterchef so this was a bit of a highlight...).

The decor is a little old fashioned but we like it that way and we sat in a little booth for two which was very romantic.

Amazing - can't wait to go again!

Reviewed August 24, 2013

I had a Relais & Chateau voucher and Le Gavroche was one of the resturant I could use it in. I'm glad I did not have to pay for that. This place is a shame for a 2 star restaurant, which is not even worth a gastro pub or "brasserie" :
- a very old fashionned dining room, with no window, gloomy, and a ridiculous furniture ( frames, menus, cutlery..)
- a common French food with all the basic meals you can find in a random French restaurant. Nothing innovative, nothing appealing, and a very fat and heavy menu for summer (nothing appropriate, the menu is not amended regarding the period).
- classic & random meals can be acceptable if delicious and well cooked, which was not even the case. we did not finish our meal and were not keen to have a desert (I had one finally, another disappointment).
The wine and the service (not too pushy) were OK though.

JUST DO NOT GO & LOSE YOUR MONEY THERE, THIS IS WAY OVERPRICE, NO INTEREST AT ALL

13  Thank Tapis_volante
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We visited here with high expectations and we were not disappointed. The restaurant has subdued lighting and lovely artwork and flower arrangements; I particularly liked the animal sculptures on each table which were unusual and attractive. The staff were all without exception, excellent they were friendly and attentive without being intrusive. Our sommelier was a lovely lady who was able to inform us about each wine and listened to our comments, my son has a real interest in wine and enjoyed swapping comments with her regarding the different wines which without exception complimented each course. The food was delicious and beautifully presented and even though we were eating from the set taster menu my partner was able to change two of the courses without being made to feel he was difficult. This was my two sons first Michelin star experience and the bar has now been set very high indeed! If you want an evening of great food and wine and excellent staff this is the place to go to.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

After having visited a number of Michelin star restaurants in the past year, I had high hopes for La Gavroche. After all, it was the first restaurant in the UK to earn a MIchelin star.

The reasons for this are obvious. After 30 minutes of dining in the bar, we were accompanied to the table where we were treated to canapes. We all decided to eat the tasting menu of 8 courses with matching wines.

First course - souffle souissese. This is a La Gavroche classic and was incredible. Very rich but a great way to start the meal.

Second course - Foie Gras with Mushroom toast. Again, very rich but the flavours of all the elements on the plate really worked well together.

Third course - Octupus carpaccio with crab. This was served with a homemade salsa-like accompaniment which was incredibly fresh and tasty. After having two very rich courses, this fresh light dish was exactly what was required.

Fourth course - Arabian spiced sea bass with pastilla and red rice. This was the pick of the dishes for me. Fish exceptionally cooked and the accompanying spices and textures were incredible.

Fifth course - Black Pudding, Crumbed Egg with crackling and homemade relish. Another very good dish. Felt a bit like breakfast food (which is definitely not a bad thing). Was an interesting choice for a dinner menu. The black pudding was delicious.

Sixth course - was supposed to be pigeon. However, our table asked if we could have the beef instead. The chef obliged and it truly was some of the best beef i have ever eaten. Very fortunate to have been able to have the beef with the tasting menu and thanks again to the chef for enabling us to amend the tasting menu.

Seventh course - cheese. Standard

Eighth course - Crispy Layers of Pastry, Raspberries and Praline Flavoured Chocolate. This was one of the highlights as well (and normally desserts are my least favourite course). Everything was light and flavoursome which was a great way to finish off the meal.

I really cannot fault anything. The only thing that was a bit unnerving was the fact that men had to wear their jackets at all times which was slightly annoying. However, in a high end french influenced restaurant, this should be expected.

However, possibly the highlight of the evening was meeting Michel Roux Jr. He was kind enough to come out of the kitchen (yes, he was working in the kitchen that night!) to introduce himself and personally thank us for dining in his restaurant. We ended up speaking to him for about 10 minutes. A great touch and something I will not forget. A very friendly man who gave us some great tips on where to eat in the South of France!

All in all, probably the best dining experience i have had in London. I am not sure if anything will beat this. Definitely recommend!

3  Thank Pumbaa86