“A SHAME”

Ranked #76 of 24,268 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The first UK restaurant to be awarded one, two, and then three Michelin stars, Le Gavroche remains a class apart. Since opening in 1967, this Mayfair bastion of French cuisine has been very much a family affair, and chef-patron Michel Roux Jr continues the tradition today. The elegance of the menu and the ambience is impeccably tailored, while the discreet service has won its own plaudits.
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I had a Relais & Chateau voucher and Le Gavroche was one of the resturant I could use it in. I'm glad I did not have to pay for that. This place is a shame for a 2 star restaurant, which is not even worth a gastro pub or "brasserie" :
- a very old fashionned dining room, with no window, gloomy, and a ridiculous furniture ( frames, menus, cutlery..)
- a common French food with all the basic meals you can find in a random French restaurant. Nothing innovative, nothing appealing, and a very fat and heavy menu for summer (nothing appropriate, the menu is not amended regarding the period).
- classic & random meals can be acceptable if delicious and well cooked, which was not even the case. we did not finish our meal and were not keen to have a desert (I had one finally, another disappointment).
The wine and the service (not too pushy) were OK though.

JUST DO NOT GO & LOSE YOUR MONEY THERE, THIS IS WAY OVERPRICE, NO INTEREST AT ALL

13  Thank Tapis_volante
Write a ReviewReviews (3,219)

Reviewed August 23, 2013

We visited here with high expectations and we were not disappointed. The restaurant has subdued lighting and lovely artwork and flower arrangements; I particularly liked the animal sculptures on each table which were unusual and attractive. The staff were all without exception, excellent they were friendly and attentive without being intrusive. Our sommelier was a lovely lady who was able to inform us about each wine and listened to our comments, my son has a real interest in wine and enjoyed swapping comments with her regarding the different wines which without exception complimented each course. The food was delicious and beautifully presented and even though we were eating from the set taster menu my partner was able to change two of the courses without being made to feel he was difficult. This was my two sons first Michelin star experience and the bar has now been set very high indeed! If you want an evening of great food and wine and excellent staff this is the place to go to.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

After having visited a number of Michelin star restaurants in the past year, I had high hopes for La Gavroche. After all, it was the first restaurant in the UK to earn a MIchelin star.

The reasons for this are obvious. After 30 minutes of dining in the bar, we were accompanied to the table where we were treated to canapes. We all decided to eat the tasting menu of 8 courses with matching wines.

First course - souffle souissese. This is a La Gavroche classic and was incredible. Very rich but a great way to start the meal.

Second course - Foie Gras with Mushroom toast. Again, very rich but the flavours of all the elements on the plate really worked well together.

Third course - Octupus carpaccio with crab. This was served with a homemade salsa-like accompaniment which was incredibly fresh and tasty. After having two very rich courses, this fresh light dish was exactly what was required.

Fourth course - Arabian spiced sea bass with pastilla and red rice. This was the pick of the dishes for me. Fish exceptionally cooked and the accompanying spices and textures were incredible.

Fifth course - Black Pudding, Crumbed Egg with crackling and homemade relish. Another very good dish. Felt a bit like breakfast food (which is definitely not a bad thing). Was an interesting choice for a dinner menu. The black pudding was delicious.

Sixth course - was supposed to be pigeon. However, our table asked if we could have the beef instead. The chef obliged and it truly was some of the best beef i have ever eaten. Very fortunate to have been able to have the beef with the tasting menu and thanks again to the chef for enabling us to amend the tasting menu.

Seventh course - cheese. Standard

Eighth course - Crispy Layers of Pastry, Raspberries and Praline Flavoured Chocolate. This was one of the highlights as well (and normally desserts are my least favourite course). Everything was light and flavoursome which was a great way to finish off the meal.

I really cannot fault anything. The only thing that was a bit unnerving was the fact that men had to wear their jackets at all times which was slightly annoying. However, in a high end french influenced restaurant, this should be expected.

However, possibly the highlight of the evening was meeting Michel Roux Jr. He was kind enough to come out of the kitchen (yes, he was working in the kitchen that night!) to introduce himself and personally thank us for dining in his restaurant. We ended up speaking to him for about 10 minutes. A great touch and something I will not forget. A very friendly man who gave us some great tips on where to eat in the South of France!

All in all, probably the best dining experience i have had in London. I am not sure if anything will beat this. Definitely recommend!

3  Thank Pumbaa86
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Booked 6 months in advance and, after living in London for >30yrs we finally booked Le Gavroche. We should not have waited so long. The Very classy dining room, lovely art and friendly staff all set the scene for the main event, the meal. The food was absolutely delicious, beautifully presented ..... Faultless.
Let's just say we'll be back, and soon. This is dining at its' very best.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

My wife and I came here for lunch with friends to celebrate our 'special' birthdays. The whole occasion exceeded our already high expectations and we can't wait for the next excuse to return. This was our second visit and it was every bit as good as our first. Everything about the whole experience from arrival to departure just exudes class and professionalism. The lunch menu has a choice of three dishes for each of the three courses, includes a choice of wines, a choice of water and is followed by a choice of tea or coffee and petits fours. The standard of cuisine and service is exceptional and for £52/person has to be the best value lunch in a top London restaurant by a mile. As on our previous visit, Michel Roux Jnr found time to come to our table and say hello, which made the occasion even more special. A word of warning - if you are planning to go, book early. You can book 3 months in advance, but tables go very quickly so don't hang about.