“Worth the hype, (and better than Waterside)” 5 of 5 bubbles

Le Gavroche
Ranked #36 of 22,204 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: The first UK restaurant to be awarded one, two, and then three Michelin stars, Le Gavroche remains a class apart. Since opening in 1967, this Mayfair bastion of French cuisine has been very much a family affair, and chef-patron Michel Roux Jr continues the tradition today. The elegance of the menu and the ambience is impeccably tailored, while the discreet service has won its own plaudits.
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Worth the hype, (and better than Waterside)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

We went to Le Gavroche yesterday evening as part of a wedding anniversary treat and it was wonderful... from the service to the food and the ambience; although Michel Roux Jr and Monica weren't there (yes we are fans of Masterchef), it was stunning and that is credit to the legacy but also the numerous other members of staff. (The bottom of my plate marked the tablecloth and the waiter brought a napkin to cover; its the little things...). We have the viognier Le Gavroche wine which was superb and my husband had the lobster starter, which although was on the more expensive side, was well worth it!!! Everything was sublime and we will, no doubt, be making a return visit. We have been to the Waterside Inn and I have to say, if you want to experience Roux, this is the only place to go, far better!!!
Our sincerest thanks to all the staff for such a wonderful evening...

• Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Nottingham
“Wonderful experience, but.......”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

I visited Le Gavroche the 1st March with friends to celebrate a 'significant' birthday of one of our company. We had a marvellous time. I can only echo the comments made by other reviewers about the staff and the service, exceptional, discreet, attentive and knowledgeable. Oh and very ,very, welcoming, pleasant and unpretentious.
I think the fact that Michel Roux spent time chatting with each table added to the pleasure of the afternoon.He was charming, graceful and seemed genuinely interested in his guests. They ensured that our friend had a wonderful experience that she will never forget.
After saying all of this, I am afraid there is a 'but'.
We chose the Menu Exceptionnel in order to best experience a range of dishes.
Of the 8 courses, the Foie Gras was sublime, the black pudding and breaded egg was inspired, the beef fillet was unbelievably tasty, the cheeseboard was just brilliant. ( a tiny 'but' - it would have been nice to one of our great Stiltons represented) I am told that the dessert was delicious.
Here comes the 'BUT' , I am afraid that the Langoustine were overcooked.' Chewy' and 'rubbery' were a couple of comments. The souffle Suisse caused concern, it was tasty but didn't appear to be a souffle, mine had collapsed and spread over the plate and had the constituency of thick custard. ( I am assuming it is not supposed to be like that). I also thought the Stone Bass was dry and pretty much a non event., I would suggest they substitute a different fish dish.
If all of that sounds negative then let me say that I and my friends had a wonderful overall experience, and the restaurant was packed( testament to its popularity)
So, bottom line, if you have two Michelin stars and charge a lot of money for the food, then standards and expectations are set incredibly high.

1 Thank LlewllynBren
Poole, United Kingdom
“Wonderful food, wonderful atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

We had lunch at Le Gavroche and thoroughly enjoyed it. While it is by no means a cheap restaurant, the food and service are exceptional. The set lunch at just over £50 plus service is great value, including as it does half a bottle of wine and half a bottle of water per head. I started with a crabmeat gratin, which was simple but very effective, with a sauce which was smooth and subtle. My main course was lamb's tongue, with a lovely shepherds pie alongside. The wines were excellent too, with the white - a simple Macon being outstanding. My companions chose other dishes in some cases, with a starter of beef pastille made with oxtail being particularly well received and a main of chicken with tagliatelle also tasting delicious. Desserts were followed by a lovely selection of petit fours and rounded off the meal beautifully. We were visited by Michel Roux himself (he is almost always there during the week and is very friendly plus it is a bonus to know he is in the kitchen). A great experience which all food lovers should experience at least once!

• Visited February 2013
Stourbridge,West Midlands
“Superb but arrive hungry”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

My wife and I visited on a Friday night for dinner as a special occassion.The place ozzes class and is very cosy.The service is inpeccable and menu varied and very interesting.We chose the menu exceptionnel menu with wine to compliment each course.The highlights being the souffle Suisse,Langoustine and Snail and also the stonebass dish.The only criticism is on arrival we were shown directly to the table when would have liked to have a drink in the bar.The lady stated the bar was full but if we had waited for 1 minute a seat would have become vacant.The menu is very rich and so by the end you feel probably to full.The black pudding dish was strange being in the middle of the menu had a feeling of a breakfast and the the fois gras dish was quite tastless.In fact these 2 courses I would take off the menu and shorten the menu rather than feeling so full on leaving.But overall a superb experience.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
“One of the finest restaurants I have ever been to”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

Incredibly well run and accommodating restaurant of the highest standards. The food is right up there with the best but a lot less pretentious. Michel Roux Jr himself cooks and after the meal walks around the tables talking to the guests. Certainly wouldn't expect Ramsey to be as welcoming or even involved in one of his restaurants like this and it shows. I was trying a non-diary diet and the restaurant did not even blink, try that in France! Cannot recommend it highly enough.