“Fantastic experience !”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: The first UK restaurant to be awarded one, two, and then three Michelin stars, Le Gavroche remains a class apart. Since opening in 1967, this Mayfair bastion of French cuisine has been very much a family affair, and chef-patron Michel Roux Jr continues the tradition today. The elegance of the menu and the ambience is impeccably tailored, while the discreet service has won its own plaudits.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Celebrated my husbands 65 th birthday last year, you are treated like royalty, food , staff, venue all amazing, excellent value at lunchtime, even got Monika's autograph !!!

1  Thank JaneEastbourne
There are newer reviews for Le Gavroche

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Four of us went for the fixed price lunch menu last Friday. I've had this many times before and it is excellent value. £52 all in for three courses, water, coffee and half a bottle of wine a head. Add in canapes and petit fours and that's a really great deal. One gets a real high class Le Gavroche experience on a budget.

The service is perfect but one feels that the front of house is running at a better standard than the kitchen. Michel Roux's service is wonderful but not enough without some Masterchef in there too. Our food was good but not great. All the main courses were delivered tepid. The canapes featured an uninspiring artichoke mousse (but a brilliant little pastilla of duck). My starter of crab and penne gratinee had a too heavy hand on the salt. Leg of rabbit was a little stringy and tough. My pork fillet was good but not served with generosity.

The cheese trolley is excellent and served with knowledge though and has a wide selection of British and French cheeses.

The wine included in the set lunch is always of a good standard. We had a Klein Constantia Chardonnay and a Cote de Nuits. An extra bottle of red was charged at a thoroughly reasonable £30. As always the intention to keep just to the set menu and get out for £52 a head dissipated. A bottle of house blanc de blancs Champagne and an attack on the digestifs trolley (Lagavulin 16, an Oban and two armagnacs) meant we came out at £100 per head. That was an entirely fair price.

In short if the kitchen were a little better then I'd be here every Friday lunch. And this isn't just a feature of the set price lunch menu I've eaten here at full whack prices in the evening and have found some of the food was slightly off target.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband surprised me with a weekend in London, a show and a meal at Le Gavroche which was on both our bucket lists. It is expensive and something that most of us don't get to do very often but what an experience. From the minute we stepped inside the (full) restaurant, we were made to feel like the only customers there and nothing was too much trouble. The waiter was so helpful with choosing our dishes and spoke very passionately about my chosen starter of bone marrow, and even said if I did not enjoy it, he would change it. My husband saw the waiter discreetly walk by to make sure I was enjoying it and this made me feel very special and the dish was to die for! They matched the wines perfectly to the dishes and it was nice that you could have any wine by the glass, which saved my husband a heart attack, seeing the price of the bottles of wine!! Also my menu had no prices on but my husbands did which was a lovely touch. We did think we might feel out of place in such a high class establishment but I can honestly say it was like coming home after a long time away and getting a fantastic welcome. Will definitely be back for another special occasion.

1  Thank Ml1nch
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Been here a number of times and never been anything less than impressed. The set lunch is arguably the best value to be had in London whilst for a special occasion the tasting menu with wine paring won't disappoint. i would personally have a pre dinner drink elsewhere (Claridges Bar is minutes away) thus avoiding the upstairs bar which is nothing special and is of inadequate size for the restaurant. Staff are all first class being both friendly and helpful. Hard to pick a highlight but the soufflé is every bit as good as you would imagine it to be whilst the cheese trolly is a joy to behold. Book early and enjoy!

Reviewed November 3, 2012

From the moment we walked through the door the staff where friendly, attentive and professional, the food and wines were exceptional, unfortunately it all came to quick, no sooner had we finished one course the next was on its way giving no time to enjoy and reflect on the flavours and finish the wine. We were a party of four and all felt the same. Shame it would have been perfect apart from this and wish we had requested them to slow down.

1  Thank Andytiplady