“Pleasant Experience”
Review of Le Caprice

Le Caprice
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Caprice is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #299 of 23,381 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: St. James's
Description: The classic St James's restaurant, Le Caprice is close to the Royal Academy, Burlington Arcade and Bond Street and moments from Piccadilly, Mayfair and the West End. Le Caprice's menu features classic British, European and American favourites and its timeless black and white interior is complemented by a collection of iconic photographs by David Bailey. For your evening's entertainment, our pianist plays from 6.30Pm until midnight. For more relaxed dining, the full menu is also available at the bar.
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Had a very pleasant evening. We chose an evening where they had on some live Jazz and it made for a very good evening. Waiters were very attentive. Food very nice.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

The Ivy recommended that we try Le Caprice and I wish they hadn't. I've never been more disappointed in a restaurant, so much so that it's moved me to write my first review on Trip Advisor. We were a party of 8 and we all ordered a main course with a side dish. One of the party found a large jagged, shard of plastic in her salad and only half of the side dishes turned up with the main courses. Not once did the waiters come to our table to see if we had everything we needed, and in the end we had to get up (twice) and ask for someone to attend to us. Meanwhile, our main courses were getting cold as we waited for our side dishes. To our horror a bottle of Heinz tomato ketchup was put on the table to accompany the fish and chip course. Oh and I forgot to mention that we were not provided with side plates. No waiters were around to ask, so we had to put our bread rolls on the table. We were all shocked by our experience at Le Caprice. We expected so much more and will neither return nor recommend.

1  Thank KEW41
Reviewed March 17, 2013

A few days ago my wife and I decided to have Sunday brunch at Le Caprice. We enjoy it most on Sundays as its easy to park and has a relaxed atmosphere.
Good: Food was fine.
Bad; Restaurant was half empty. Maitre d' sat us at a table next to a party of 10 (mostly full of young well behaved children) and the kitchen door. There were numerous empty tables so I requested to be relocated. Maitre d' offered a table nearest the front door opposite bar, in my opinion also a lousy table! I asked for a table near the back, he reluctantly checked his diary and agreed to position us next to a famous actor at the back of restaurant. The restaurant remained half empty so why try and pass me off with a lousy table?
The Ugly: When I booked online there was an offer of free Bloody Mary's. Frightening to think Le Caprice has resorted to free offers! Incidentally, I would of reserved without the offer. When the bill arrived we were charged for the Bloody Mary's. I reminded them of the 'offer' and was told as we had arrived a few minutes earlier than our 2,30 booking we were not entitled to the 'offer'. Has Le Caprice gone mad! I have made several functions in this groups private dining rooms and frequented their restaurants for years. I have also many times been asked to wait at the bar as my table is not ready even though it has reached the time of my reservation. The waitress finally agreed to waive the charge.....so she should! But she insisted on giving me a lecture and explaining she was doing me a favour. No wonder the restaurant was half empty! I have been going to Le Caprice for 50 years, admittedly new owners now ......... but please fix the decline.

I have been to Balthazaar several times recently. Keith McNally is so polite and welcoming, Byron is running the restaurant to his usual expertise. The difference between the 2 restaurants is chalk and cheese. Watch out Le Caprice. London has plenty of fine restaurants and start wondering why you are resorting to free offers!

12  Thank MollieArchie
Reviewed March 17, 2013

From the moment you arrive, you feel home from home. The well mixed aperitif to the staff and ordering, nothing and I mean nothing is to much for the staff at this well run eatery. Look no further, Le caprice hits all the spots. Thank you for never ever disappointing us

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Oh dear...after being recommended by The Ivy to go to Le Caprice all 8 of us were looking forward to our night out. We were left disappointed and frustrated. Poor service...our side dishes didn't arrive at the same time as our main meal...by the time they did arrive our meals were cold. My friend found a large piece of sharp plastic in her side salad!!! Not once did our waiter come to ask us if everything was ok...I was forced to go to seek out the MD to complain. I asked for the cost of the side dishes and one bottle of wine to be taken off the bill, which they did.

I must admit, we all agreed that our starters were delicious. My main course of John Dorey fish was lovely...but I've been up all night with a bad tummy......! Make of that what you will.

I feel very let down by this restuarant...read my other reviews to see that I am not a moaning ninny or a serial complainer.