“"amazing meal"”

Launceston Place
Ranked #59 of 22,367 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French, European, British
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: South Kensington
Description: Nestled in the quaint residential streets of Kensington, Launceston Place is an award winning hidden gem. Passionate about using the best seasonal produce chef patron Raphael Francois and his team create a menu using simple and luxury ingredients alike. The restaurant has received 2 AA Rosettes in 2017, while the wine list has won Tatler Best Wine List Award, the Award of Excellence from Wine Spectator magazine and Notable Wine List 2013 and 2014 by the AA guide. Open for lunch Wednesday to Sunday and dinner all week (except Monday) Launceston Place attracts a loyal local following, as well as being a fantastic destination for visitors to this charming London neighbourhood.
London, United Kingdom
“"amazing meal"”
Reviewed August 28, 2014

me and my friend went there two weeks ago, was a sunday night so we took the tasting menu. We started with a sparkling wine and after we bought 3 more bottles. Everything was good but the coarse that we apprecciate more was the cheese board...so nice and varius! we'll be back for sure! nice price for the quality!

• Visited August 2014
Matteo I, Manager at Launceston Place, responded to this review, September 17, 2014
Dear Albert,

it is always a pleasure to read positive reviews, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

I hope we will soon have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

• Korean first
Belfast, United Kingdom
“What a treat!”
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Friday night means only a tasting menu - wasn't expecting that, but it was amazing, if a little more than I'd intended to spend. I'm looking forward to going back for a more affordable Sunday lunch.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Maeve A
Dear ConnaughtQueen,

I am sorry to hear that you were not aware that on Friday and Saturday night we serve only our Tasting menu, but I am very glad that you have thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Sunday lunch is definitely worth a visit, our Sunday roast is absolutely delectable and great value for money.

Many thanks again
London
“Outstanding in every way”
Reviewed August 17, 2014

This place really deserves its Michelin star, we couldn't fault anything about it.
It's a very pretty restaurant which is comfortable and nice to sit in.
Everyone working in the restaurant was extremely friendly, welcoming and courteous and not in the least snooty. The sommelier was very good and helpful and all the waiters were charming and efficient.
We had the 3 course Sunday lunch menu (£35 per person). There is a choice from 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 deserts.
The amuse bouche brought before the starters were the best we have ever had and everything else that followed was delicious (we didn't even have to ask for the salt and pepper, it was on the table...top marks for that!)
Good wine list although not cheap. Excellent expresso.
Have eaten in quite a lot of Michelin starred restaurants and for me this was one of the best.
A great meal in a lovely restaurant and we will certainly be going back again.

2 Thank multitrippers
Dear Multitrippers,

it is very nice to read that your recent experience with us was, in every aspect, such a good one.

I hope you will be tempted to try as well our Market or Tasting menu in the near future. We will look forward to welcoming you back.

Many thanks
Singapore, Singapore
“Tasty Meals, Nice Services”
Reviewed August 16, 2014

I had a dinner with my wife. We ordered sets of appetizer, main dish and dessert which cost 55 pounds p.p. We ordered duck egg and quail for appetizer, and lamb and veal for main dish. Especially, we loved the appetizer not only for their tastes but for the presentation.
Before having the dessert, we had selections of cheese and we could select five slices of cheese. They had around 15 types of cheese and we could enjoy even selecting the cheese and talking with the staff who kindly explained the tastes of cheese politely.
We were very sorry, but we could not try the dessert since I started feeling nausea before having cheese, maybe, because the duck egg stimulated my stomach even if the taste was very nice.
Overall, the staff members were polite and friendly. I wanted to select a bottle of nice Italian or French wines with around 50 to 60 pounds which I could not find in the wine list though.

Dear YacchanAmarone,

many thanks for taking the time to review your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor.
I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your food and the service on the night and I am very sorry to hear that you felt unwell before the dessert.
We appreciate your comment in regards to the wine list. We believe that the entry level wines in wine regions as Bordeaux, Burgundy or Langhe unfortunately don't reflect the style and quality expected from such iconic appellations and that new world alternatives provide, most of the times, much better value for money.
I can see that on your visit we opted for a Clos Henri from Marlborough, New Zealand, a beautiful alternative to a red Burgundy with an very good value for money and I hope you have enjoyed it.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Many thanks
Copenhagen, Denmark
“A lovely, proper British experience”
Reviewed August 15, 2014

We visited Launceston Place for lunch and since we had a quite early dinner booking as well, we followed their advice and went for a la carte choices instead of a tasting menu.

The decor is conservative but charming. The staff chatty, polite (except for one, acting as if work there was a big ordeal to her) and knowledgeable both about the menu and the city and what it has to offer. We ordered a bottle of chablis that turned out to be decent quality. Then came the scallops and mackerel tartare, both delicious. For mains we chose the veal rump and the wagyu beef. The veal rump was one of the best I have ever eaten, but wagyu was not anywhere near the wagyu I tried in Singapore which remains the best so far. I dont know if it is my bad luck in Europe, or the beef here is just not on par with Asia.

Not giving highest rating because of the wagyu quality and one of the staff, a tall, dark haired, foreign lady with a quite obnoxious and cold attitude, a sore spot among other ladies and gents in there. Overall, a great choice for either lunch or dinner though.

• Visited July 2014
Matteo I, Manager at Launceston Place, responded to this review, August 16, 2014
Dear Nat,

thank you very much for taking the time to leave your feedback about your recent visit at Launceston Place.
I am very glad to read that this was mostly positive and I am sorry for the two issues you have highlighted.

All my staff are genuinely lovely people with a lot of passion for what they do and I am very sorry that what was probably a bad day for one of them resulted in an unpleasant experience for you. This should certainly never happen and there are no excuses for what was, regrettably, a sour note on an otherwise good experience. Nevertheless I can personally guarantee that the young lady in question loves her job and is a great asset to our team and, even if she came across as a little "cold" during your visit, I would definitely never go as far as defining her "obnoxious".

In regards to the Wagyu beef we can definitely appreciate the fact that some of the samples you might have tried in Asia were better than the one you had with us, but at the same time we have a fixed priced menu and no supplements on any of our dishes, this means that we cannot afford to buy the highest quality in terms of score and marbling if we want to give our guests a n acceptable portion of it.

I hope we will soon have the pleasure of having you back with us and I promise that we will do everything possible to make it up for the two "missteps".