“Dining experience”

Launceston Place
Ranked #58 of 22,373 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French, European, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: South Kensington
Description: Nestled in the quaint residential streets of Kensington, Launceston Place is an award winning hidden gem. Passionate about using the best seasonal produce chef patron Raphael Francois and his team create a menu using simple and luxury ingredients alike. The restaurant has received 2 AA Rosettes in 2017, while the wine list has won Tatler Best Wine List Award, the Award of Excellence from Wine Spectator magazine and Notable Wine List 2013 and 2014 by the AA guide. Open for lunch Wednesday to Sunday and dinner all week (except Monday) Launceston Place attracts a loyal local following, as well as being a fantastic destination for visitors to this charming London neighbourhood.
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

A very good Sunday lunch although marred slightly by rather large dry Yorkshire puddings.excellent tasters between meals and all vegetables served to perfection. Good choices on menu and excellent attentive staff. Poor selection of wines by the glass if you were guests with differing tastes, most wines served by bottle only.

1 Thank Ann L
Matteo I, Manager at Launceston Place, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Ann L,

many thanks for your positive review on TA, I am very glad you have enjoyed your Sunday lunch with us.
I am sorry to hear that you thought our selection of wine by the glass limited, I am sure this was due to a misunderstanding on the day, as on our wine list we currently have 27 different wines by the glass, without considering the further 12 sweet and fortified wines.
I am sure you will agree that it would be extremely difficult to find such a vast selection in any restaurant, especially of our size.
We have also recently introduced, together with a very small number of other restaurants in London, a system completely new to the UK called Coravin, which allows us to serve very premium wines by the glass without the need to actually open the bottle, perfectly preserving the wines for even years.
I hope we will see you soon again at Launceston Place, my sommelier will be more than delighted to guide you through our selection and help you find some great wines.

Many thanks again

• Korean first
Newmarket, United Kingdom
“Faultless”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

My partner and I eat out regularly and within the last 12 months have been fortunate to eat at a number of 1, 2, and 3 Michelin starred restaurants however this was our first visit to Launceston Place. As a regular at Daniel Clifford's Midsummer House restaurant in Cambridge I was aware that Launceston Place's head chef was ex Midsummer. I therefore had high expectations.

We were not disappointed. The food was up there with the best we have experienced and the service was impeccable. We went for the tasting menu with matched wines. Every dish was perfectly balanced, cooked well, with each course complimenting the next. The wine matches were some of the best I have experienced.

Atmosphere in the restaurant was nice too. As others have said, the noise level is enough for a couple to have a private conversation, but without the next to raise your voice above others.

Overall a great eating experience, being without doubt one of the best meals of the year.

6 Thank Stuart H
Matteo I, Manager at Launceston Place, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Stuart,

it is absolutely great to receive such a complimentary review from such a seasoned diner.

From my side I can honestly say that I have thoroughly enjoyed your and your wife's company and it was lovely to chat with you during your lunch.

I sincerely hope we will see you again in the future.

Cambs
“Fantastic 50th!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

Myself my sister and my mother recently had lunch here on a Saturday afternoon. We booked the table via the website and the service via email was faultless before our arrival.
On arrival for lunch we were greeted at the door by a young and helpful gentlemen. Our coats were taken and we were shown directly to our table. We were given the menus and advised all the options available. We chose the set 3 course lunch menu at £30 per person at great value. We also chose the supplement to have a cheese course each too which was by far a cheese experience. All the staff were throughly helpful and polite and all smiles. Thank you for such a great meal!

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank GreekDelight
Matteo I, Manager at Launceston Place, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Dear GreekDelight,

I am very pleased to hear that you, your sister and your mother enjoyed your lunch with us in July.
I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
“Polished food and service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

Came here during a boiling hot day for lunch, lovely air conditioned space with well trained staff, the tasting menu was very accomplished and very generous in size. One fun issue, I think they used jalapeño's instead of padron peppers, (as everyone's "padron" was viciously hot, and the shape gave it away as well) which made for a very interesting experience!
Will most definitely return.

Dear Fu-dog70,

it is very nice to hear that you enjoyed our tasting menu, thank you very much for taking the time to share this with the TripAdvisor community.

Padron peppers can be very hot, normally 1 out of 4-5 are, and it looks like on the day it was just an unfortunate coincidence that the whole table had hot ones.
I can promise though that it wasn't Jalapeno peppers, as they are very different in shape and could not be mistaken for Padrons.

We will be looking forward to your return.

Ixelles, Belgium
“Delicious dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

A table for 2 in this romantic restaurant is perfect for a wedding anniversary, as it was the case for us. Service was very present and dinner was delicious.

1 Thank pam-bzh
Dear Pam-bzh,

there is something incredibly rewarding in knowing that someone chose us to celebrate a special occasion and I am glad that we contributed to make it special.

I hope we will have more occasions to welcome you back in the future.