“Very good and interesting cooking”

Laughing Gravy Bar & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Laughing Gravy Bar & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #180 of 23,234 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Tucked away between offices and shops on Blackfriars Road, The Laughing Gravy restaurant is one of the capital���s best kept secrets. Laid back and informal, The Laughing Gravy offers a comfortable setting and friendly, efficient service ��� a must in the demanding local market. So settle in and prepare to enjoy the very best seasonal, fresh food featuring some of Britain���s best known and well loved specialties. Head chef Michael Facey, is known for his dedication to great ingredients and has worked alongside chefs such as John Torode and Mark Hix. Facey has carefully sourced the finest produce from the highest quality suppliers for The Laughing Gravy menu, even taking herbs and vegetables straight from the next door community garden.
Reviewed May 9, 2014

We had booked the Laughing Gravy for the first time as the threatened tube strike dictated that we dine with our friends near to Waterloo Station. It's around 3 mins by taxi or 15 - 20 mins walk from there. We weren't disappointed. The front of house and waiting staff were very friendly, efficient and courteous. The tables have plenty of room and there is a good, bustley atmosphere.
Two of us ordered the asparagus with truffle, one beetroot and one scotch egg. They were all excellent... and too good to share! I had the asparagus: large, succulent and with just the right hint of truffle. Divine. Two burgers and two venison for main courses. The Aberdeen Angus burgers were medium/rare cooked - perfect and very tasty. The chips were the only let down. Not cooked enough and therefore a bit pale and limp. The venison fillet and mushroom Wellington was outstanding. Beautifully cooked.The accompanying truffle celeriac puree was also very nice indeed. I only let my wife have one forkful!
Yes... we had puds too. One Milk Jam ice cream (divine according to one friend); one salted caramel fudge - disappeared quickly without a trace and with a big smile; one chocolate brownie trifle, which I tried and the Sauternes jelly was a revelation; and I had the Blueberry Cheesecake with doughnuts. This was also very good but there was rather a lot going on on the plate. All very tasty, but three different dishes. The wines are well priced (as was the food) and the Argentinian Argento Malbec was rich, smooth and full flavoured.
I've been a bit mean giving them a 'very good' score.... as, in truth, it was really, really good; but with a bit of tidying up they could be one of the best restaurants in town.

1  Thank Tony B
There are newer reviews for Laughing Gravy Bar & Restaurant

Reviewed May 4, 2014

The restaurant is a bit off the main areas of tourist activity in London but it is very well worth a detour. All the dishes that we ordered (there were 4 people in the party) were excellent. Venison was cooked to perfection. I never tried venison cooked better than this. Service was efficient and polite. Prices very reasonable.

1  Thank alekseyNewYork
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Booked table for 2 for my mam's birthday. The LG is not cheap so it was a bit of a treat. First impressions. Very friendly, attentive staff. Lovely bright dinning room which is functional with nice decorative touches. Good music. I ordered the Angus Aberdeen onglet with roast carrots, parsnip, yorkshire pud and roast pots. Mam had the chicken with Thyme and aforementioned sundries. Both lunches were superb. Deep, satisfying flavours. Well cooked and presented with delicious gravy. Portions are good but you defo need either a starter or pud to leave full. My beef was particularly arresting. My mam had a dry martini with lemonade and I had the sparking water. After mains mam had a pea/cashew nut puding and some crumbly coca bits and a chocolate tube filled with a creamy nut bavarois. I had the 2 cheeses board with jelly and crackers. Mam felt her pud was a tad rich but overall good and my cheeses were generous and complimentary. Monmouth coffee finished the meal. I will be going back to the LG on special occasions.

2  Thank bekoubetts
Reviewed April 30, 2014

We had plenty of good food in London but my wife and I both agree this was the best meal. It's got a nice atmosphere and a friendly staff. I had the steak with Madeira sauce and it was terrific. We had the salted caramel dessert which was very rich. They also have some very good cocktails.

1  Thank WhollyHeretic
Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

Three older guys for lunch, resolving all sorts of global issues.

Starters were Scotch eggs which seemed to go down very well; my asparagus was under done. Should have been a bit more crispy/burnt to make it a good dish.

Mains were very acceptable. The burger looked tasty and I'm told it was spot on. The quail with chicken was good/very good and we were happy.

Wines were a bit pricey though we found a Rioja that was as good as many of the more expensive French wines.

Service was friendly and efficient and the waiter had a nice sense of humour.

This is a nice place that does unfussy service and good grub. Definitely worth a visit if you're on the South Bank.

1  Thank Jorgeob