“Great food, lovely staff”

Laughing Gravy Bar & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Laughing Gravy Bar & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #180 of 23,381 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Tucked away between offices and shops on Blackfriars Road, The Laughing Gravy restaurant is one of the capital���s best kept secrets. Laid back and informal, The Laughing Gravy offers a comfortable setting and friendly, efficient service ��� a must in the demanding local market. So settle in and prepare to enjoy the very best seasonal, fresh food featuring some of Britain���s best known and well loved specialties. Head chef Michael Facey, is known for his dedication to great ingredients and has worked alongside chefs such as John Torode and Mark Hix. Facey has carefully sourced the finest produce from the highest quality suppliers for The Laughing Gravy menu, even taking herbs and vegetables straight from the next door community garden.
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Well done to the Laughing Garvy team for catering to 45 of us. They delivered some lovely food, got all of the orders right and were charming, friendly and amenable. Definitely recommend it!

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Visited for dinner with my wife after spottig the restaurant on Tripadvisor. We were coming from Victoria so we tried travelling by bus to Waterloo station and walking the rest. It's tricky to start with getting away from the station in the right direction but once you have found The Old Vic it's pretty easy. It was easier still going back because buses run along Blackfriars Road to Ludgate Circus, then it's the number 11 bus all the way to Victoria staton. Or you can get there by going to Southwark tube station, I found out later.

I recommend that you check out the menu first on www.laughinggravy.co.uk because the chef does like to add things, for flavour I guess, but once you have satisfied yourselves on that score it's very good all the way. Also look at the cocktails: The orange negroni which I had and the espresso martini which my wife chose are both really good. Enjoy!

Reviewed February 22, 2013

There's not one reason that this place is so highly rated, there are at least four:
1) Excellent service - not something that London is known for but it's great here. Relaxed and friendly service (even though I was there on a very busy Friday night)

2) Great food - really nice flavour profiles, great textural balance, thoughtful construction, excellent technical execution, and good looking presentation.

3) Fine cocktails. I had an excellent negroni, not a cocktail I trust just any bartender with. I didn't explore the wine list so I can't comment on that front.

4) Good prices - again, not typically a common London thing but I thought that the Laughing Gravy was a great value. In fact it was one of the better meals I've had in London at a lower price point than many very mediocre eateries.

Overall I had an excellent experience here and will happily go back on another of my regular trips to the UK. Close to Tate Modern and the Embankment/Waterloo/Southwark area.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

After reading some reviews I was unsure whether to take my children (ages 7, 11 & 14) here for dinner. We read through the menu in advance to make sure there was something which they could enjoy, booked an early table (6pm) to avoid serious diners and armed ourselves with ipad games. In the end I shouldn't have worried, the staff were relaxed and friendly and great with the kids. My youngest had a starter as a main course and they all loved the desserts. The food was delicious and it was nice to be able to go somewhere without a children's menu for a change! Not too pricey considering the location.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is a very nice little restaurant not far from Waterloo Station and Southwark Tube station. We thought it would be like an upscale pub but it was not really pub food at all, much nicer.

I had scallops which were just slightly undercooked, and my friend had lamb which was also slightly undercooked.

Note to Americans: "flapjacks" are not pancakes!! Instead they are more like granola bars. Also "champ" is a green vegetable that looks a bit like clover.

I had the black cherry crisp with almond ice cream for dessert which was very good.