“Just a bad day in the kitchen?”

Laughing Gravy Bar & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Laughing Gravy Bar & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #145 of 22,808 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Tucked away between offices and shops on Blackfriars Road, The Laughing Gravy restaurant is one of the capital���s best kept secrets. Laid back and informal, The Laughing Gravy offers a comfortable setting and friendly, efficient service ��� a must in the demanding local market. So settle in and prepare to enjoy the very best seasonal, fresh food featuring some of Britain���s best known and well loved specialties. Head chef Michael Facey, is known for his dedication to great ingredients and has worked alongside chefs such as John Torode and Mark Hix. Facey has carefully sourced the finest produce from the highest quality suppliers for The Laughing Gravy menu, even taking herbs and vegetables straight from the next door community garden.
London, United Kingdom
“Just a bad day in the kitchen?”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Was encouraged by favourable review in Observer and by the glowing comments of other diners but was distinctly underwhelmed. The waitress was a delightful young woman - pleasant, welcoming, efficient. Starter was quite good but rib beef and potato fondant-based dish was at best mediocre. The beef was tough and at £18. 50 was poor value and the potato lacked flavour too. Declined dessert because of poor main course. Good choice ofwine by the glass. Struggled to give a 3rd star; it just about merited "average" on the day. It was a Wednesday lunch, with few other diners. Perhaps it was just qan off-day or the regular chef was off duty.

• Greek first
Frome, United Kingdom
“Lovely lunch”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Why have I never been here before? It's just lovely: great room and decor, warm ambience, food excellent, and so close to the Old vic etc. The service was excellent too. Highly recommended.

Derbyshire, UK
“Super place to eat”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We recently had a weekend in London and, on the strength of good TripAdvisor reviews, booked a meal at The Laughing Gravy restaurant. Although it was a very cold and snowy evening, the welcome at the restaurant was warm and friendly and everyone who served us was pleasant and helpful. The place was full, with a good buzz of conversation and lively atmosphere, which made us feel cheerful right away. The menu, which thankfully isn't too big, offered good choices with interesting variations and combinations of tastes. We opted for the slow roast chicken and the superfood salad with chicken, along with champ potatoes and chips. Everything was delicious. Puddings were excellent too - we had the bread and butter pudding and chocolate brownie. Added to the food we enjoyed a house white wine and digestifs, and were not shocked by the price at the end of the night. Certainly it isn't cheap, but neither is it ridiculously overpriced, especially compared with some of the eateries in London. Would we go again? You bet!

west midlands
“Lovely Restaurant”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

My Husband booked this for my birthday as it was near the hotel we were staying and had good reviews on TA. It was a cold and snowy night when we arrived but a very warm welcome, had a delicious elderflower mojito while looking through the menu.For starters we had duck and rabbit scotch eggs - lovely, my husband had the venison wellington and it was cooked perfectly, I had the seabass which was very nice but I thought it a bit salty. Also vegetables were extra - I hate this.
We didnt order dessert but as it was my birthday they brought out a tray of petit fours with a candle in - nice touch.
The service was excellent , the waiter was very attentive. Didnt mind paying the 12.5% service charge.

dublin
“Acceptable food but overpriced”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I had read great reviews of this place and was looking forward to eating there on a recent visit to London. I found the experience a disappointment. The food was fine but not remarkable but a lot more expensive than much better meals I had in London. I went for lunch and was surprised to find the place so empty (only 2 other tables occupied) I had a goat's cheese welsh rarebit to start which was fine but small, my companion had an artichoke salad....which was even smaller! My main course was the main disappointment, a haddock fishcake which seemed to be mainly mashed potato. Vegetables do not come with the main courses and there is an automatic 12 and half percent service charge added on to the bill. All in all a costly meal and certainly not an experience I will be repeating.