“Very good food and an extensive wine list”
Review of La Trompette

La Trompette
Reserve with OpenTable
La Trompette is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 23,697 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chiswick
Description: La Trompette opened in 2001 and serves some of the best food in London but without the formality or prices associated with the capital’s top end establishments.We closed at the beginning of 2013 for a complete refurbishment, and have expanded to include a brand new kitchen, private dining and improved customer facilities. The new appearance has not changed the focus of the restaurant. The aim is as it always has been, to give all our guests the best possible dining experience from start to finish.
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Busy Friday evening, service was attentive and discreet, just as it should be in a Michelin starred restaurant - but so often isn't.
A wide choice on the well constructed menu, surely something for everyone if the surcharge dishes are included, but at £45 for 3 courses the extra charges are not unreasonable.
Cooking was well up to the expected standard - and noticeably better than plenty of 1* places in France, perhaps Michelin expects more for its stars in UK?
The wine list deserves a few minutes of quiet reading, there are some real treats here.

HOWEVER - be careful with the wine service. This is not to accuse La Trompette of anything dishonest, but having ordered an £80 bottle of white burgundy, the Sommelier brought the bottle to show us and then it disappeared with him. He and the bottle were gone for about five minutes and it was brought back with the cork drawn. What happened apart from the obvious in the 5 minutes is an unknown, and although I believe in this case it was 'our' wine that was served, a less expensive fine white burgundy would probably have fooled me, and I have no way of knowing.
In my youth, as a waiter in a less honest restaurant, I have watched a barman fill an empty bottle from a wine box, so perhaps I'm suspicious!
The red wine was a different matter. The £75 bottle was shown at the table, taken away and was decanted - again out of sight of the table. I learned from another of the staff that the Sommelier has adopted the habit of taking a sample to taste for himself, and as this happens out of sight and the decanter is of unknown volume, the customer does not have a clue how much has been taken. This is great for the Sommelier to keep his knowledge of the list up to date, but I see no advantage at all to the customer, AND, for the privilege of funding his ongoing education, there is a 12.5% service charge.
With some wines and very rarely, there may possibly be some justification for the Sommelier tasting the client's wine, but for a 2007 bottle of pinot noir it's neither necessary nor justified. In 60 years of drinking fine wines I have never found a bottle that doesn't taste right which also doesn't smell wrong - certainly when it's been decanted. If it smells good, and the colour is good, then the wine's good and the Sommelier doesn't need to drink it.
I suppose I'd better cross 'La Trompette' off my list for the future after writing this, which is a shame because it's good, so don't let me put you off!

Reviewed September 21, 2013

My wife and I have dined here for anniversaries and birthdays for a number of years. We were here last week and we had a skate wing with oyster and other delights and warm duck salad for starters. As ever the combinations of ingredients on your plate compliment and enhance the dish. Both starters were excellent. We washed this down with a glass of Greek Assyrtico. It was so good and reasonably priced that I went 'internet surfing' the following day to locate some !
Our mains were slow cooked beef and marrow and I plumped for the suckling pig. Both were top notch. Now normally one of the only criticisms I have of the restaurant is that the food is beautiful but there is never enough of it, so much so that I normally order cheese and then a pudding. On this occasion we managed a sorbet between us ! That was gorgeous as well. All in all a great experience. Service was slowish but attentive which is normal. Had our truffles at the end and asked if they could bag up one that was left over. They added a few extra which was a nice gesture. Our bill came to £120 for two which was for three courses (two for my partner) and three glasses of wine. A lovely restaurant to visit which is close by.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I seem to have written this a few times in my reviews of restaurants that whilst really, really good, the food did not quite come up to what I – and I suspect the chef – hoped for.

Firstly, I must point out that I am reviewing La Trompette as a restaurant deserving of a Michelin star, so that is the quality level I am expecting. As a “normal” restaurant it would get five stars straight away. Boasting a Michelin star, it fell just short of that, hence my four stars.

Don’t get me wrong, the food was really good, and everyone left our table left happy with the meal, but we all commented that we had hoped for outstanding and not just very good.

The one aspect that was outstanding was the service. More than outstanding. They managed that perfect balance of efficiency, order and perfect timing balanced by casual friendliness and lack of stuffy formality. Really well judged and superbly well delivered.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

On Monday I treated my girlfriend to a birthday lunch at La Trompette in Chiswick. It was 2pm and the place was packed.

Now we know why.

I'll get a couple of petty moans out of the way first. Believe me it's difficult to pick holes in this superb restaurant, so I'm being ultra-critical. I booked well in advance. While on the phone the lady asked if it was for a special occasion. When I said yes she asked what it was. I told her it was for my girlfriends birthday. I wrongly assumed from this there must be a reason. I would have happily paid for any extra birthday treats, I'm not someone who expects something for nothing. But why ask at all if you're just going to ignore it?

When we arrived, we were left to our own devices for about ten mins (a little bit too long I think) before our drink order was taken. Then when we were offered some fresh warm bread the butter was forgotten and our champagne went to the wrong table. No harm done and after these minor hiccups it really was exceptional.

Service was friendly but relaxed. Maybe it could be too relaxed for some but not for us. Just don't expect to be in and out quickly, our three course menu took around two hours to finish. You definitely won't feel rushed!

The food was absolutely first class. To start I had raviolo of suckling pig with BBQ dressing and sweetcorn. My girlfriend had Crisp Cornish mackerel with oysters, leeks and a quite a combination of other things I can't quite remember. She joked the dish should come with instructions but I think she was right. It was unclear what she was supposed to do with the pot of a cucumber based liquid. My guess was to pour it over the fish. It turned out to be a drink. Maybe staff shouldn't assume people automatically know this. Even so both starters were amazing!

Then on to the mains. She had slow cooked roast beef, marrow, scorched onions, a field mushroom and was in food heaven. I had a crisp fillet of plaice, cockles, mussels, creamed parsley mash and buttered veg and it was equally as spectacular!

We shared our deserts which were chocolate pave, milk ice-cream, candied hazzlenuts and the other one was creme fraiche tart with roasted figs. I loved both but weirdly my partner wasn't too keen on the chocolate one, saying it was a little bitter for her taste. The same went for the chocolate truffles at the end. Not sure why, usually she loves chocolate. I thought they were out of this world.

Our two three course meals + two glasses of champagne + a bottle of Pinot Noir + 12.5% service charge = £126. On the bill the service charge is stated as optional but is added automatically. I guess you'd need to complain to get it removed but there was no reason for us to do that. Definitely not cheap enough to be a regular thing but perfectly reasonable for a special occasion.

Overall a truly fantastic dining experience. La Trompette is my other half's new favourite. She's already trying to find excuses to go again. If you're looking to spoil someone with a special lunch in the Chiswick area, look no further.

Iain, London

1  Thank Iain73
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I dined at La Trompette on Sat 14/09/13 for lunch with my brother, the service was good with staff friendly and attentive without being overpowing as you sometimes find in Michelin Starred restaurants. The food was everything I expected... Beautifully presented and perfectly seasoned. The only very minor criticism is I had to ask 3 times to order the wine I wanted (the wine list is outstanding btw). However that aside, I'd certainly recommend this restaurant and I'd definitely return.