“Average at best!”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Visited 17th August 2013 with my wife. Early evening c5.45pm before going to the Theatre. Service was quite slow in terms of taking orders and delivering the food. We decided to share some razor clams (one the of the specials) as a starter. When they eventually arrived (after my order went somewhere else) there were just 2 on the plate and they were just about Ok maybe a little overcooked.
Main course arrived soon after - my wife had some pasta with seafood which she described as Ok and I had a steak with peppercorn sauce. It was delivered with a garnish of half an orange!! (Like something out of the 70's) The steak was pleasant but add in a bottle of wine and 2 coffees for c£75 it wasn't a good experience and a place we won't visit again. There are lots of restaurants in Islington and this needs to do much better (in my opinion) if it wants to be in the top one's. It does display a TripAdvisor award but not quite sure how it managed that.........

1  Thank DavidLF

Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

I've been here a few times. The prices are reasonable, the portions are large and the food is always good. The service could be a bit more prompt, but I would definitely come again. It's often packed with people, so it must be good.

Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

I used to go to the one in Muswell Hill when I worked in the area, and they were always very good so when I saw the one on Upper Street I thought yea I miss La Porchetta. We were a group of 8, we got seated and ordered quickly as we were all starving. The staff were hard work, one particular waiter looked like he was on his first day at work & kept dropping cutlery and you had to repeat yourself 3 times to be understood. The food was average but we were so hungry we just got on with it. They got my order wrong so I ended up eating on my own after everyone had finished. But again they dealt with this poorly. Firstly they tried to blame me and told me I got what I ordered, then we all overheard someone being told off for the mistake, hmmm. My partner in particular was very disappointed and with him being Italian he said something to the female Italian manager and after she responded his face dropped. Apparently she shrugged her shoulders & said 'no ones ever complained about it before' then she smiled and walked away. It was the sarcasm and tone she had that was awful. We refused to pay the discretionary service charge and even at that point as we were leaving the manager looked at the cash and sarcastically smiled at us as if to say 'I don't care what you guys think'. Well you should, it's your job to care & please all your paying customers. My advice; go to the Muswell hill one!

1  Thank Huly_e
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

La Porchetta is by far the best pizza joint in London especially the one in Upper Street, Islington near Angel Station. I am a big fan of pizza and I have tried most places not naming them on this review that have been ok but if you are looking for a grand pizza at rock bottom price that is nice and hot when delivered with the mozzarella stringing to your knife and fork then this is the place to be. It is cheap, good value for money, a pizza margheritta with birra morretti just about a tenner and that's enough to fill up your rumbling tummy. The service is simple, quick and easy. After the pizza stroll along Upper Street for anything else, shopping, cinema, clubbing or just hit the bar for a few tequila shots. The area is lively.

3  Thank Wahida M
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Delicious reasonably priced food with large portions, friendly service, jugs of tap water without asking and they let us bring a cake in for a birthday. Will definately return!

2  Thank roger_10