“Excellent, I had food I have never tasted before!”
Review of L'Oranger - CLOSED

Neighborhood: St. James's
Cross street: Pall Mall
Transit: Green Park, Piccadilly Circus
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent, I had food I have never tasted before!”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I really enjoyed my visit to this restaurant, it was fairly quiet in there but to be honest it was nice to be away from all the noise and drunkeness of the office Christmas Parties. Our waiting staff were very pleasant and attentive, my glass was never empty and the food....let me tell you this was the best food I have ever eaten in my life! They brought us tiny little canapes to the table while we were choosing our food, and then I had Foie Gras for starter, it was divine! Heavenly. My main course was halibut, a fish I have never eaten before and again, it was gorgeous. I even tried some goats cheese at the end, something I have never liked but this one was really quite nice (and I really HATE goats cheese normally.) OK so it was a bit pricey, but you know what, it was a special occasion as I was celebrating getting a new job and it was excellent food. I was not disappointed by anything there.

• Visited December 2012

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Excellent French close to royalty”
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Decided upon l'oranger after looking for somewhere close to our hotel for the first night in London. We booked via top table and the rating was good - although not top rated here on TA.

On arrival, the restaurant was moderately busy and we were quickly seated. We're we're offered some pleasant entrees and the sommelier was very helpful in choosing wine for our meal. For starters, my partner chose sweetbreads and. I chose foie gras. Both were excellent and worked very well with the wine choice. We had both decided to go with the beef and this was excellent. Again, the paring with the wine was perfect and we were both very happy.

For dessert, my partner had to try soufflé - I had apple tartin. We paired these with port and I had espresso to finish. The bill was reasonable considering the wine (£85), the service, and location - total of £265. We have had a better meal for the same price, but this is the city and we we within staggering distance of Queenie - although we didn't stop by.

In summary, great food, priced to match the quality and location. A wonderful treat.

London, United Kingdom
“Attentive, considerate and nice atmosphere”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Good location.
Pleasant and airy restaurant.
Staff not too obtrusive or pushy but always there if needed
Presentation very good
Sliced (good) bread - but would have been nice if a little more "rustic" perhaps
Food very delicate and well cooked - no complaints from around the table.
Very attentive (and much appreciated) consideration to food intolerance issues
Fresh fruit salad was very nice.
I wasn't paying so can't really comment on final price - but menu did not appear over the top (all things considered) I would not rule this restaurant out for a return visit.

• Visited November 2012
“Fabulously French in the heart of Mayfair”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

It was my wife's birthday on Monday, and we were by chance in London. She selected L'Oranger from a long list of favourites, and it didn't disappoint. We were joined by two of our adult children and one of their partners. The restaurant staff are friendly, courteous, warm and welcoming. The food is light, full of flavour and exquisitely presented. It was a chilly night outside, but the restaurant was warm and surprisingly busy for Monday evening. The wine list is an indulgence - with some fabulous French classics... and although we selected towards the expensive end of the list due to the special occasion, you can also get a good bottle at reasonable price. The lobster ravioli was a triumph, and packed with chunks of moist pink meat. The amuse-bouche and pre-desserts were outstanding. It is unashamedly expensive, but for a treat or special occasion stays at the top of our Mayfair list! By the way, they have delightful courtyard which is worth reserving on a warm summer evening!

• Visited November 2012
London, United Kingdom
“L'Oranger - What a dissapointment!”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

A group of us went to dinner and it was such a disaster. The restaurant was cold and so quiet you were self concious speaking above a whisper, the decor is faded and not so grand as it may once have been.
The starters and mains were half cold and so lacking in flavour it was awful. The quantities were so small that we all ended up going for snacks and a drink afterwards at the Sofitel!!
The only enjoyable part of the experience was the wine.
Do not waste your money.

• Visited September 2012