“Great place, tucked away behind an awning”
Review of Joe Allen

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Cross street: Wellington Street
Transit: Covent Garden Tube, Charing Cross Tube
Description: Legendary for a good reason, a discreet entrance in Covent Garden with a simple plaque on the walls invites you to enter the legendary Joe Allen Restaurant. The best kept secret of the London crowd: its laid back charms and wholesome food have kept the capital's diners returning for more. The restaurant buzzes with a warm, friendly atmosphere. The service is friendly and informal and the wine list is extensive. Whether you're looking for the best brunch in London, a quick pre-theatre meal, for an atmospheric lunch, dinner, or a late supper after the theatre, Joe Allen offers it all. It is the perfect destination for someone searching for great food, whether in casual dress or something more glamourous.
Reviewed June 5, 2014

A friend brought me here as he loves it. It is unimposing from the street but you descend into a fabulous area clad in dark wood, decorated with retro movie/musical type memorabilia and with tables dressed traditionally with white linen.

We arrived at just gone 5 and there was only one other set of diners in the room, although the atmosphere exuded by the decor meant there was not the usual sensation of rattling around. My friend's brother joined us for a glass of wine and the staff were fine with having a non-diner at the table.

We decided to have the set menu, which (I think at around £15-16 for 2 courses and £17-18 for 3) is really good value for London, with three choices for starters and mains, and two for desert. I enjoyed mozarella and basil on a tomato jelly followed by cod with garlic broccoli. Portion sizes were small and there are no carbs included, although we had some good bread as an extra. The mini-meal meant we decided on a pudding, which turned out to be a large slab of moist and gewy chocolate brownie with ice-cream. So we left replete, with waistlines groaning far more than they would have done with two courses!

Our service was fine but we arrived when it was quiet. By the time we left, at around 7pm, it was packed, although our tables were cleared and bill sorted out without delay.

1  Thank ShazyD
There are newer reviews for Joe Allen

Reviewed June 5, 2014

great atmosphere, basement restaurant with an american theme. Some really good beers available, boston lager, blue moon etc. You have to ask about the burgers, they aren't on the menu. Had the monster burger but the only let down was it didnt come with fries so we had to order and pay for some.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

This was our 2nd visit and we will deffinately be back!.... Fantastic food, service and atmosphere.... Not over priced and just a lovely experience!.... Make sure you book as its always fully packed.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

I've eaten at Joe Allen a few times and the food is always high quality and worth every penny. I had the chilli beef and it tasted heavenly (just thinking about it now I'm salivating..lol) - on my recent visit I was a bit disappointed by the service - the restaurant wasn't full and arguably the waiter/waitress to table ratio was 1:1 - however in spite of this service was indifferent, slow and frustrating. We must have had 5 different waiter/waitresses during the meal and they seemed barely able to communicate with each other, let alone us the customers; simple basics - e.g. take an empty glass off the table, isn't it normal to ask if the customer wants another?? Bring a basket of bread but no slide plates?? I even overheard one abruptly say to another "shall I just do your job for you?" in a derisory manner (should I have to listen to that??). Just seemed like a bunch of amateurs pretending at service. I made light of it at the time and brushed it off as the post-theatre rush come-down, but it's not good enough - I'm annoyed I was too British to insist the 12.5% discretionary service charge was removed lol (in my defense I just wanted out in the end)

A shame because it's put me off going back a little bit - meal for two around £100 without dessert isn't cheap and i don't think getting a bit of warmth and basic service is too much to ask for.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Had a pre-theatre meal here on recommendation and wasn't disappointed. Good food, good atmosphere and good service! My husband had the best mohito in a long time - more mohito than ice, which is a rarity!!