“Fantastic fish restaurant”
Review of J Sheekey

J Sheekey
Reserve with OpenTable
J Sheekey is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #320 of 23,707 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: In the heart of Covent Garden, J Sheekey is a fish and seafood restaurant offering the finest fish, oysters, shellfish and other fruits de mer. Discreetly tucked away on St Martin's Court between Charing Cross Road and St Martin's Lane, J Sheekey is a stone's throw from many of the West End's theatres, the cinemas of Leicester Square and vibrant quarters of Covent Garden and Soho. The Royal Opera House and Coliseum, Palace Theatre, Donmar Warehouse, Wyndham's, Duke of York and Noel Coward Theatres are close by, making the restaurant perfect for pre and post theatre dining. All fish is responsibly caught from sustainable sources.
Reviewed October 29, 2013

A West End institution, and somewhere for a special occasion. Excellent service and a great wine list. Somewhat pricey, but the Croquettes are amazing.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,550)

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Looking for an early dinner before the opera at the Coliseum, we chanced upon J.Sheekey. As it was only 5pm the restaurant was not open but a very helpful barman in the oyster bar arranged for a table and we had a drink at the bar while we waited. Our table was available as soon as the restaurant opened at 5.30pm. The menu is virtually all fish but the selection was wide. My wife started with ½ pint of Atlantic Prawns and these were excellent. I had 6 Mersea Oysters which you could hardly see and which were virtually tasteless. We both had haddock for our main dish which was well cooked and reasonable portions. The Sauvignon Prestige was excellent and reasonably priced but the coffee was stewed. Overall verdict was like the Curate’s Egg – good in parts!

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I visited the J Sheekey Oyster Bar over the weekend and am very impressed! I am on a mission to find good seafood restaurants in London and this definitely ticks the boxes!

They serve a tapas style menu of seafood (with some large dishes too) but I personally prefer this tapas style as you get to taste a bit of everything. If you are still hungry, order another dish. It has a very relaxing atmosphere and the staff are very friendly and knowledgeable about the food and wine on the menu. Ok, the prices were a little pricey, but you get what you pay for! The scallops were the best I have had in years to the extend we asked for a second dish! The food it beautifully presented and the seafood itself is a good size. The portion sizes for the tapas are average in sizing but the quality exceeds any seafood I have had in London yet.

On a personal note, I have never eaten Oysters as I've heard a lot of bad feedback about oysters making people poorly, but after trying these dishes and speaking to the waiter (who was confident about the quality of the oysters which are caught daily and the chef's ability to identify good and bad oysters), I felt that if I was going to try an oyster in my life, I was unlikely to find a better place than an upmarket seafood bar that specializes in oysters... so I tried one! They are (as many people will tell you, an acquired taste), but I did try a couple of different ones and can confirm that I did not experience any stomach complications! Thank you to the kind waiter and the friendly diners cheering me on! For a beginner, the tempura oyster was very enjoyable.

If you are hungry be prepared to spend a fair bit of money, although if you are looking for a light seafood dinner of QUALITY, look no further.

DEFINITELY RECOMMENDED!

Reviewed October 28, 2013

As my husband's a very good cook I wanted somewhere special to celebrate his 50th birthday whilst in London. The previous day of the visit I had been contacted by Sheekeys confirming my reservation and was asked if I would like a cake with my husbands name on, I thought this a lovely idea and agreed. I was very disappointed when this never materialised and told the maitre d'. If this hadn't had been brought to my attention I wouldn't even have thought of it.

I had prawns and was surprised as they were a bit chewy and overcooked, although my bass was excellent. We ordered a bottle of Prosecco, service was excellent apart from the waiter taking my husband's glass every time he had finished instead of replenishing, which I and the young girl serving thought odd.

Would think of somewhere else to go to try, rather than go back!

Reviewed October 28, 2013

A proper restaurant, well if you are a fish lover. Quality menu backed up by fish class food and service. Children friendly if the children are respectful. In the heart of London Sheekey's delivers on behalf of the capital. The bill is not necessarily for the faint hearted, however, it doesn't have to be and that is another of this restaurant's plus points. Would thoroughly recommend it.