“Terrible service”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dublin
“Terrible service”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We booked a table for a Frioday night. We arrived and were hardly greeted. We were just shown a table. It took ages to actually get them to ptake a drinks order, so we ordered food at the same time. The starters came out resonably quick, but it took over 1 hour after the starters, for the main course to arrive. To addinsult to injury there was a service charge on the bill. I told them to remove it because the service was terrible and they didnt even ask why were were unhappy or even appologise .

Visited April 2013
2 Thank 100years

London, United Kingdom
“Possibly the best Ottoman cuisine outside Turkey”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Iznik nestles inconspicuously on a parade of shops in Highbury, North London and serves some of the best authentic Ottoman style Turkish food you are likely to taste inside or outside Turkey. The decor is delicately and tastefully decadent, featuring pottery from the Iznik region, Ottoman antiques and spirit-lifting vibrant pastels. The owner and his wife have invested 25 years of their ives turning this small restaurant from a working man's café to a fine dining destination. Iznik is simply one of the best restaurants in North London.

Visited February 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Pleasant local with great decor, average service, no tap water”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I've been here on a few occasions in the past, but can't recall the portions being so small. The food was nice but not that tasty. From reading other reviews I notice they do groupon and other discounts is that why the portions have got smaller? and yes I would have liked a glass of tap water with my wine.

I think for value and taste, I'd rather go to Upper Street to Gallipoli, I may have felt different if the service was better.

• Visited April 2013
“Turkish Delight”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Living close to the area, my girlfriend and I fancied a meal last night in the Highbury Village area as there’s an array of independent restaurants and pubs. We usually go to Angel so it was nice to walk through the leafy Highbury Fields and we had a walk up and down Blackstock Road before settling on Iznik at the top of the hill.

When we walked past my girlfriend was taken aback by the bright lights and was wowed by the authentic decor and, in fairness, from the outside it looks great and is full of Turkish charms. Given that is was a freezing cold night in early March, I was surprised that there was a table and chairs out the front on the main road and as we entered I overheard a couple say “that’s the busiest I’ve seen that place in a long time” which made me wary.

However, as we sat down the couple next to us had a table full of meze treats and there was a nice smell of lamb and spices. The chairs have ‘Iznik’ carved into them which gave the place charm and as the wine came out, the glasses had a lovely Turkish pattern. We decided to share 3 starters, complimentary breads and a main as well as some wine. To start we shared falafels, calamari and parcels of lamb and herb in filo pastry. We always find it a bit more fun to have a few little things to start with and both the calamari and falafel were nice although the parcels, which are of course the more authentic element, were slightly disappointing as they lacked flavour. There didn’t seem to be any flavouring, herb or marinade so just lamb mince in pastry.

We asked for a break before the main meal came out although it came out pretty much straight away. We had a sis kebab (lamb skewers) with couscous (which was a bit cold) and a slightly garnished salad. The lamb was slightly fatty and could do with a little more flavour but it was rather nice. By the time the main had come out, however, the music had stopped and didn’t start again for the remaining 30 minutes or so that we were there. I had a view of the kitchen and could see a middle-aged white lady taking charge of the cooking rather than a Turkish chef, although I wasn’t put off by this. We decided to not go for a pudding as we were full but, in fairness, the prices looked very reasonable.

I’ve since read through some of the reviews and saw that when people ordered tap water they were sneered at, so the owners must take onboard the feedback as we were brought out a bottle with nice Turkish glasses. For the most part, the service was friendly and the bill came to under £35 – and with a couple of pieces of Turkish delight for good measure!

I haven’t been to the Turkish restaurants in Turnpike Lane which have great reviews although I regularly go to Meze Mangal in Deptford, Lewisham, which had incredible reviews and I feel the food there is tastier but the decor lacks what Iznik has apart from the lovely grills in the middle of the restaurant.

On the whole, I think the place was good and if you fancy Turkish food in Highbury then I wouldn’t advise you against the place. There are certainly areas for improvement and next time I will probably go to somewhere different on the road but we enjoyed our Friday night date together there so thank you.

• Visited March 2013
Chipping Campden, United Kingdom
“A pearl of a Turkish restaurant”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We went to Iznik on January 5 with our two grown-up sons to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. Although it was a Saturday night, the post Christmas/New Year lull meant it was far from busy, though there was a smattering of other diners. Despite this, the restaurant, beautifully decorated with Turkish lamps and furniture, felt warm and welcoming. Service was friendly and our food was excellent. Although portions were not large, they were sufficient and delicious.This is not a cheap restaurant and some reviewers have mentioned the cost of drinks, which they thought were high. We didn't feel this but we were certainly grateful for our younger son's Taste card, which halved the cost of the food and meant that our overall bill, including four starters, four mains, two puddings, two bottles of wine and a couple of beers, was only £75 - a real bargain for such an great evening. We enjoyed Iznik and have promised ourselves regular trips there when visiting London (fortunately one of our sons lives nearby).

• Visited January 2013