“VERY SPECIAL PLACE”

Cuisines: Mediterranean, Turkish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Iznik is a rare gem. From the moment you enter, you realise this is going to be good. The owners have created an atmospheric, elegant, fun interior, the walls covered with beautiful Turkish artefacts, the ceiling dripping in low glass lights and candles. We might have been in Bodrum. And then there's the food. Fresh, light, healthy, filling, tangy. Everything we love. The meze were the highlight for us and we chose ten starters ranging from hummous to kisir salad to pomegranate and feta, warm meatballs and spinach filo pastry. We drank white Turkish wine Cankaya, which we were recommended and it was like a light French chardonnay. Good value and enjoyable. The staff were very attentive and warm. We finished off with pungent Turkish coffee and baclava, which was not too sweet, but flakey and aromatic with pistachios. We will definitely go again.

There are newer reviews for Iznik

Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

We had been meaning to visit for a while. Moving into the area gave us no more excuses so we headed there for dinner last night.

Originally concerned when the place was empty at 7.30, we quickly realised we were simply too early. At 8 the place was half full and cosy.

Food was very tasty and lovingly prepared, service was attentive and friendly. Overall a great night out, would recommend.

Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

Iznik takes the best of Turkish cuisine ( which is so varied) and recreates and reinterprets it for the most global of diners, Londoners.
Over the decades it has stayed at an enviably high standard.
It has gorgeous interior design and a warm feel. I can't comment on the service because with a Turkish partner, we are made to feel like family but I am confident that everyone feels welcome here.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Living locally I've often passed by and thought that I should go and try the food and recently went to try it out. I now wish I hadn't bothered but on the up side, I now know so won't be wasting my time going back.

When we first walked in we were told we could find our own table but were told that the one we chose was reserved and we had to find another. The restaurant isn't big and there was no reserved sign on the table so we were a bit taken aback by this. It was also funny that no one showed up for the table during the whole time we were there.

The restaurant is run by an old Turkish couple and we were served by the old lady throughout. We were impressed by the fact that throughout the entire meal, where she brought the menus, took our order and brough out food and wine, that she did not speak to us once, never smiled and was generally sullen and acted like we were an irritant. By comparison the old man was friendly to us when we left but by then it was a bit too late.

The food itself is not worth putting up with the rudeness. We had some falafels and a cold platter for starters and these were all nice but no better than other similar restaurants. The mains though were not great and we didn't bother with dessert! I had a layered vegetable moussaka for the main and when it was brought out it looked like lasagne. On the top there was a 1.5cm thick layer of solid beschemel sauce - it was gross. All the food was lukewarm. There is a token English meal on the menu - lamb shank with mash and carrots; my friend had this but said there was nothing special about it. My husband had a mixed grill that was probably the best of the lot.

There are plenty of other nice places to eat in the area, in future I will stick with the Highbury Barn!

1  Thank Travelseahorse
Reviewed June 24, 2012

A quiet, efficiently-run family restaurant. The starters and mains were very good indeed - slow cooked, succulent meats. Unobtrusive service, nice decor and in a lovely bit of Highbury.