“Superb meal start to finish!”

Hawksmoor Spitalfields
Ranked #257 of 23,995 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Spitalfields
Transit: Shoreditch Overground Station, Liverpool Street Underground Station
Description: This Spitalfields steakhouse has wooed much of London since opening in 2006; word-of-blog has only served to create an even bigger buzz around the restaurant and its food. A case of the emperor's new clothes? We think no.' Time Out Spitalfields was our first restaurant, and the general view is that it is where the 'Hawksmoor spirit' is best embodied - many of the staff have worked there for years and would never consider elsewhere. Great steaks, great drinks and an amazing atmosphere, full of people who desperately care whether you enjoy your evening. We are located just down the road from our namesake Nicholas Hawksmoor's Christ Church Spitalfields and 10 minutes walk from Liverpool Street, Old Street and Aldgate stations. It can accommodate 115 people for exclusive hire and the back section of the restaurant is ideal for groups of up to 55. The restaurant can be hired exclusively for a meat-fuelled party, corporate function and wedding receptions. For information on private hire and events, please contact our events department.
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I came to Hawksmoor Spitalfields for my birthday meal with my family last night and I don't usually review on Tripadvisor but after a great meal and evening, I thought I would!
We had a great waiter, I think his name was Alex, who was very personable and chatty but without being over the top or coming across as pestering us. He was very attentive and offered his advice on what to have - we couldn't fault him at all and were very impressed with him. The other waiter's seemed just as friendly and helpful!
The food was truly superb. There were 4 of us and our waiter advised to get a few starters to share and I am glad we listened as they were big portions. We had the Yorkshire pudding with potted beef, asparagus and the ribs and as much as I would like to say which of the 3 was my favourite, I couldn't pick - they were delicious. The Yorkshire pudding was something a bit different and worked really well, the asparagus was so fresh and cooked to perfection and the ribs were well flavoured and moist. Our mains were just as delicious - we had 2 x 900g prime rib (one medium rare, one medium) between 4 of us and the steak was perfectly cooked, seasoned well (I usually salt all my food and didn't touch the salt or pepper!). There was plently so we didn't manage it all but there wasn't much left over. We shared a few sides - spinach, mushrooms, macaroni cheese, all of which were very yummy and the triple cooked chips were incredible!! No room for desserts, unfortunately, but had I room for one I could have picked easily from the menu! All washed down with a few bottles of red wine. We ordered 2 bottles at the start of the meal and Alex, our waiter, advised it may be worth to buy a magnum and it actually worked in our favour price wise. Good selection of wines!
We went on a Monday night so I was unsure whether it would be busy or have an atmosphere but it was packed out and had a great atmosphere. Very laid back and not snooty at all like other steak restaurants but you still felt like you were having a top class dining experience. When they found out it was my birthday, they brought over a box of chocolates at the end of the meal for me - nice touch. I really couldn't fault it and would highly recommend! Can't wait to go again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,436)

Reviewed April 28, 2014

My wife and I dined at Hawksmoor Spitalfields at the end of March 2014. I had not eaten at this quality small chain before, but knew its reputation. I was not disappointed! Their system is interesting - steaks are sold by weight and the available cuts are listed by weight on the blackboard, and rubbed out when sold - most would be suitable for two or three to share. As my wife only eats fish (which she says was excellent) I could only chose from the Fixed price section, which offers a rib-eye for one. This was one of the best steaks I have ever eaten - a lovely piece of meat, beautifully cooked and served, and the standard by which others will be judged in future. My starter was Bone Marrow - three enormous bones, sawn lengthways with marrow like fois gras! Delicious. The service was faultless (including advice on wine which would suit us both) and the atmosphere was fun and lively, but not too loud. What more can I say - straight fives.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

Me and my wife dined at the Hawksmoor Spitalfields on Saturday 26th April 2014, and had the most amazing meal. The staff cannot do enough for you. Well done to the manager James, and our waitress Nicole, plus Mark at the bar for a brilliant evening. Highly recommended, will definitely be returning again.

Regards

Michael

Reviewed April 27, 2014

Basically a steak restaurant, but what a steak!!! Easily the best fillet steak I have ever had. Not the cheapest place, but a great place for a special occasion with friends or family. Great atmosphere, super friendly staff, and a buzzing atmosphere. Have to be honest I always go with the fillet so cannot comment on the other steak options, however I have tried a lot of the starters and desserts and all of them were great.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

Having been to Hawlsmoor 7 dials and Guildhall with varied experiences, I went to Spitafields with high hopes and great interest as to how it stacks up vs the other members of the family.

First the basement bar. Great place, well lit, nice mix of booths and tables, really friendly helpful staff. Drinks were well made and service courteous and prompt.

Next the restaurant. Bit of a strange pair of rooms vs its bigger brothers/sisters, the front seeming to be a rather cramped-looking huddle of tables, the backroom more spacious and inviting. We had a table of 4 in the middle of the room which was great. Service was a bit moody and a little slow, but that could've just been the one waiter we had. No matter, the company was good and food and wine excellent.

Whilst I enjoyed the meal, 7 Dials still remains my favourite of the Hawksmoor restaurants I've visited.