“Another trip to London, another amazing steak at Hawksmoor”

Hawksmoor Spitalfields
Ranked #231 of 22,509 Restaurants in London
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Spitalfields
Transit: Shoreditch Overground Station, Liverpool Street Underground Station
Description: This Spitalfields steakhouse has wooed much of London since opening in 2006; word-of-blog has only served to create an even bigger buzz around the restaurant and its food. A case of the emperor's new clothes? We think no.' Time Out Spitalfields was our first restaurant, and the general view is that it is where the 'Hawksmoor spirit' is best embodied - many of the staff have worked there for years and would never consider elsewhere. Great steaks, great drinks and an amazing atmosphere, full of people who desperately care whether you enjoy your evening. We are located just down the road from our namesake Nicholas Hawksmoor's Christ Church Spitalfields and 10 minutes walk from Liverpool Street, Old Street and Aldgate stations. It can accommodate 115 people for exclusive hire and the back section of the restaurant is ideal for groups of up to 55. The restaurant can be hired exclusively for a meat-fuelled party, corporate function and wedding receptions. For information on private hire and events, please contact our events department.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Another trip to London, another amazing steak at Hawksmoor”
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Booked at 9am for 4 @ 6pm on a Sat evening, excellent service. We arrived from the Olympic stadium with a ridiculous amount of 'luggage' including 2 bright yellow, rubber foam 'Usain Bolt' arms. The staff took this in their stride, which was a good sign! The drinks, food and service were impeccable. This is a. Expensive restaurant for us, the bill was over £200 for 2 adults and 2 kids, but it's so good that it is fair value. We had a 400g ribeye and a 1kg T bone to share, with chips, spinach, mac cheese and bernaise. All utterly superb. Highly recommended.

1 Thank rtqp

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Rhodes
“Good steak but poor value for money compared to other restaurants”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I'm a huge steak fan, have been for many years and appreciate better than most a good cut and a good overall service.

I've been to Gaucho's quite a bit recently and have always had an excellent and reasonably priced meal there. it averages in between £140-£160 each time.

I came to Hawksmoor for the first time at the weekend after hearing from a lot of people that the steak is amazing

The steak was good although drier than I normally like, the service was good but the restaurant was a little loud, the waiter was very good, very attentive. For the most part an enjoyable night, until we received the bill...

It was almost £100 dearer for what was definitely not a better steak than Gaucho for example, I was expecting it to be about the same, which I would have been happy with as although it wasn't better per say, it was just different, different beef reared differently etc and was still very very nice.

I just thought it was very poor value for money, the total bill was just shy of £250 which is just too much for a meal for two without even a desert. I'll happily spend that sort of money on a meal if i'm "blown away", but although the meal was lovely, it wasn't worth the hefty price tag considering for £100 less I can have in my opinion, a more enjoyable steak and atmosphere at Gaucho.

Hertfordshire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“THE most amazing steak - and the cocktails aren't bad either!”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Visited this restaurant on a very hot Saturday night - the bar area was packed as was the rest of the restaurant and we were left leaning at the bar while we had a quick drink. Iced water brought by the barman straight away was a great touch. The cocktail list is fantastic with some really different choices - I had a sinking spritz and it was amazing! Tables are fairly close together but its not exactly a romantic destination so didn't bother us. Our waiter was very good - the right balance of knowledge but not pushy in the slightest and actually talked my husband out of having a larger steak. I had crab to start which was incredible and my husband had the (large) Yorkshire pudding and potted beef which was yummy (I had to try a little bit!). I went for the 300g fillet with the anchovy hollandaise and cannot rave about it enough! Cooked to perfection and was amazing! Husband had the rib in sirloin and he too thought it was pretty good - his peppercorn sauce was pretty tasty too! We shared some triple cooked chips and some seasonal greens - plenty for the 2 of us. Purely for research I had the peanut butter shortbread and the salted caramel icecream - amazing but pure gluttony by this stage....
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place - it is noisy and it isn't cheap but on this particular Summer evening was just what the doctor ordered!

London, United Kingdom
“Great lobster!”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I mean I know everyone goes for the steak but I just wasn't in the mood so opted for a whole lobster (£35). Really it was very delicious, probably the nicest lobster I've ever had. Plus they took all the meat out of the claws and just rested on top of the cut halves so there was no messing around with tools. I also had a marmalade cocktail (yum), tokaji wine and the salted caramel ice-cream. For 3 people (2 courses and a bottle of wine and dessert wine for everyone) the bill was about £220.

Our waiter was friendly and unpretentious. He recommended a nice rioja for us as easy drinking red for a sunny day.

I think they do BYOB on a Monday.

1 Thank Holiday_Claire
Toronto
“Awesome steak and eggs breakfast”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Ate Sunday lunch here with the family after arriving from overseas for a vacation, and thought a nice steak-and-eggs brunch would be a good way to start things off and help shake off the jet lag. Hawksmoor exceeded our expectations.

First, we took advantage of one of the steaks to share - had the Porterhouse for 3 - and ordered a selection of sides including some fried eggs. The steak was perfectly done (med rare) and each of the sides was better than the next. My wife actually went for the Sunday special rump roast, and loved it as well.

Atmosphere is great - young, relaxed, but professional service, lots of nice people dining, a good blend of pub and relaxed steakhouse feel. Left feeling like the price was worth every penny.

P.S. I'm probably going to regret this but I have to comment, sorry.... it's hard to believe in this day and age that anyone would go to a great steakhouse like this and order a major steak "well done". We overheard someone doing so at a nearby table, and almost cried out. I hope that it was for religious reasons and not personal taste, because what a horrible thing to do to a beautiful cut of beef.