“A definite landmark for the hungry”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Golden Hind

Golden Hind
Ranked #336 of 22,376 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Marylebone
Como, Italy
“A definite landmark for the hungry”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

The Golden Hind is where you go to get your belly full before taking on London again. The service is quick and courteous, the food is excellent for the genre, and the portions more than generous (most adults will have trouble with a 'small' portion of haddock or cod with added chips if they have taken anything else, eg mixed salad or cod cake appetizer). Complaining about the atmosphere means you haven't understood where you are dining. The Cypriote owner will even stop to talk with you amidst the swirl and bustle. And he means it when he says he hopes the food was good. He admits they may have bad days, but don't we all? A must for Marylebone, unless you insist on spending more than a tenner.

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
“Happy place where locals dine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We returned for fish and chips after a year and good as ever. We arrived before 6 pm dinner opening, but they showed us to a table because it was cold outside. Just the beginning of welcoming service, with enough, but not too much attention. Cod fish and chips, some sides of mushy peas and Greek pickles and olives really added nice touches. Fish is very fresh, lightly battered and moist. BYOB as others have noted, but we didn't this year and didn't mind. Desserts are very authentic and tasty, although ask for custard sauce on the side because it is quite a bit. Fish dinner for four with sides, non-alcoholic drinks, dessert and coffee = £ 75. Not inexpensive, but a really nice meal. We had theatre tickets, so needed to move on, but did not feel rushed.

2 Thank Konatravelers
Helsinki, Finland
“Blaah..”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

After bustle of Madame Tussaud we found our way to this hectic and "must" fish&chips. We came with high hopes.. But I have to agree that service was joyless and even bored. We got table after queueing from downstairs - which turns out to be very dull and uncomfortable box, kind of cell... Portions are huge, but unfortunately you have to bring your own bottle (no beer, no wine). We were not delighted about this visit. Nice neighbourhood comforted us..

Intresting note; from the start place has been owned by italians and is now runned by greek. So, deep-fried feta and greek salad suits well when suffering allergy for a fish ;-).

Toronto
“Not My Catch of the Day”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

I came to London in February hoping to enjoy the Fish and Chips at the Golden Hind. I was sort of disappointed and thought that perhaps I need to re-visit what great Fish and Chips really are. Here are my qualifications:

-A CRISPY batter that is golden and will nearly break your teeth upon crunching down on it (of course, I exaggerate, but I was it crispy!). No soggy batter lurking on the inside.

-Fresh soft fish.

-Golden, fluffy chips that are crispy on the outside but not so much that they can't absorb a generous amount of malt vinegar.

Someone mentioned earlier that the Golden Hind's service was joyless. I also found this to be the case. They were certainly not welcoming and although they had many tables without a reserved sign, they questioned everyone who came through the door if they had a reservation and then wandered over to closely placed tables and squished everyone in. I can appreciate that they are busy and have to seat the reservations, but come on-- a reservation for Fish and Chips? I agree as well, with another poster, who said that his local pub has better Fish and Chips. And at the pub, the chips and peas are included in the price.

The fish was, indeed, fresh. Honestly though?If I have a great piece of fish, I'm not going to cover it in batter and deep fry it. I'll sautee and roast it with lemon and capers. As long as it's not reeking-- serve it up for fish fry! Overall, I would say the flavour was just okay. My bill, for for a large Cod with Chips and peas was over 15 pounds! The pub is way cheaper and much better.

Sorry, Golden Hind, But you're lacking in environment, value and a few other things that might lead me to rave about your place.

Next time I'm in London, I'll stick to the pub and a pint.

2 Thank jenabee
Augusta, Michigan
“Zagat's said they were the best. Agreed!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

While we were walking around London we got hungry and Google'd best fish and chips in London. Zagats article popped up and talked about Golden Hind. We walked around Regent's Park until it opened for dinner at 6:00pm. (They close between 3:00pm and 6:00pm.)

WOW. Amazing fish and chips. Definitely the best we've had. Nice atmosphere. Down to earth.

Besides the fish and chips... the service was amazing too! Attention to every detail.

Definitely worth the trip back when we go to London again!!! Thanks Golden Hind!