“Just another restaurant for tourist !!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Giovanni's

Giovanni's
Ranked #4,229 of 22,367 Restaurants in London
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
London, United Kingdom
“Just another restaurant for tourist !!!”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Was there with wife & 4 other friends , I had Carbonara as my main , taste not bad but small potion . Services ok but they do try to up sell you when they can !!! Wont recommend to go all the way there but if you happen to be in Covent Garden n not sure where to go , maybe pop in n check it out ...................

• Visited October 2012

england
“Service was terrible...dont eat here!!!”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Three of us visited this place and were shown to a table....then we were moved to another table because we were not going to the theatre??? No one sat on the first table anyway!! Then the waiter asked to take our order and walked off without us ordering....he returned about ten minutes later and we ordered. When the food arrived it was thrown on the table...
Not bad food really it tasted nice but two of us had finished and they cleared the plates so one of us was eating by ourselves...this is a big no no!!!! Then whether we liked it or not our wine was poured and the table cleared. No desert was offered and no one asked how the meal was....the bill was plonked on the table with a hand written service charged added onto the receipt....
.i dont think so....

We never paid the service charge . We paid what the food was and left. I would not recommend this place as the service was shocking!!!! Pizza hut and pizza express have great service and are half the price....go there instead.

2 Thank cher24
“Complacent, indifferent and uninspired”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Having experienced this restaurant, I would seriously doubt that any of the reviews giving it such glowing praise are anywhere near genuine.

My partner passed by this restaurant mid evening on Sunday 11th November this year, and it did, admittedly, have quite a cosy look from the outside.

Once inside, though, it became abundantly clear that is was very cramped with barely an inch of free space around the tables. Decor consisted of years and years of collected photos of 'celebrity diners' and what is to be hoped were 'better times'. There's something unnerving about sitting under the false smiles of David Hasselhof, Cliff Richard et al. As for the sound of the dumb-waiter thumping and grinding its way up from and down to the basement kitchen - well...

After waiting to be seated for some minutes in what was a half-empty room, we then had a long wait before our drinks order was taken somewhat indifferently by the owner - actually the word best describes the service throughout. When they arrived, two glasses were placed on the table with no attempt at offering to pour the drinks.

The menu was short and whilst making our choice, we were given a side plate each on which was a puddle of olive oil and mashed fresh tomato - to be mopped-up with a few slices of dried-up French bread. Interesting - and part of the cover charge.

After again waiting a good while for our order to be taken (rapidly and without any interest) and a further long wait, our starters arrived. For myself, I chose the angel-hair pasta with peas, bacon, and egg. When it arrived, it was not the silky smooth consistency I'd expected, but more akin to a Chinese egg fried-rice dish, and very very oily.

For the main, I ordered veal topped with provolone and tomato. Again, this was swimming in oil. The veal could not have been any thinner, the cheese was fried, and the tomato sauce was did not have the appearance or taste associated with home made. We did not have any side orders of vegetables or salads as this would have added a further £8 - £10 to the bill.

Suffice it to say, we did not order any desserts. The bill for two starters, two mains without accompaniments and two drinks was over £60.

Whilst places like this no doubt have their core regulars who will defend it to the hilt, it felt jaded and living on past achievements. There was no effort by the owner to be jovial, the food was basic - and not even 'good' basic - and the environment was outdated.

• Visited November 2012
3 Thank AndrewJWood
Toronto, Canada
“Fabulous Italian restaurant, charming owner, fabulous wines”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Two colleagues recommended this gem in London and I am so glad I had the chance to eat here. The owner, Pino Ragona, is the most charming and affable restaurateur I have ever met, his sense of humour combined with a very sincere desire to see you eat well and enjoy yourself is a refreshing change from most restaurants these days.

He sat us at our table and presented the wine list, which were all excellent Italian wines, from Barolo to Amarone to Chianti to Sicillian wines. (In fact we ended up drinking one of each of those that I named) Best of all, they are AFFORDABLE!!!!

The food was simply fabulous. He recommended a starter to share of olives and cured meats which was simply superb. I had the best carbonara I have ever tasted, my colleagues had fish and reported it as spectacular.

We were treated like loyalty from start to finish, I cannot wait to return to London simply to enjoy this gem another time.

Molto grazie, Pino!!!

• Visited November 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing food and Amazing place!”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

The next trip you have down in London, this is the place to go. With a funny owner, excellent food and a rest atmosphere it is definitely not a let down! I had veal and it was absolutely fantastic. Tucked away in a little hidden street, it shines like a gem. Amazing food and Amazing place!

• Visited March 2012