“Not happy”

Ranked #3,695 of 23,571 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Kensington and Hyde Park
Description: Geales has been London's most loved neighbourhood fish restaurant for over 70 years. Since 1939 this reputable restaurant has been a firm favorite with devoted locals and celebrities' alike. Geales offers a menu that retains the great British chip shop mentality... No frills, just fresh fish and fabulous service. The updated historic site provides a rustic yet chic local diner with a relaxed, nostalgic nod to the brand heritage.
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We have invited two of our best friend from abroad to Geales notting hill last night (29/08/13) hoping to have the best seafood and fish and chips. we started with a drink each which was vodka and lime with soda. To our surprise the drink tasted very sugary and when we asked the waiter why is that, he claimed it is because we did not have lime so I had to put some lemony mixture which made our drink taste not what we expected.
I have to say that I was very disappointed with the food too, me and my partner shared a seafood platter for two. Both of us were very disappointed, the calamari was the worse calamari we have ever had, soggy and tasteless. The platter unfortunately was half full with calamari a few prawns, a lobster to share, a single squid and a pan of mussels which was the only thing that ate pleasantly. Our guests from abroad did not finish their fish and chips but they seemed ok with it but what they liked most was only the minted peas.
Our dessert was the only plate after the mussels that I liked which was apple and berry crumble.
Myself and my partner had spend £171 and did not enjoy the quality of the food at all.

1  Thank Mahfam M

Reviewed August 21, 2013

For close to 30 years, a trip to London was not complete without Fish and Chips ate Geales. I once tubed in from Heathrow on a stopover to get a fix. It was casual, and offered good value and great fish. It had been about 10 years since my last visit so I was anxiously awaiting the dinner planned for my recent trip.

The place has changed. What used to be an informal, fun place has decided to move upscale: Fish and chips, meet fine dining. While table cloths with wait staff in vests and replaced the bare, often shared, tables where you would get to know new people and have outstanding fish. The menu is now a la carte: Imagine a restaurant famous for fish and chips that does have fish and chips on the menu. There is fish (Pollock, Cod, Haddock and Sole - no Halibut) but chips are a side - for an extra £3.50! Half a cup of spinach is also £3.50, as are 5-6 boiled mini potatoes. The food was good, but no better than my favorite shop in Toronto that would cost half as much.

Geales is alright. The food was good, and the service good but it does not offer good value. it is pretentious and trading on its reputation. I really have no desire to return.

1  Thank Alan M
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We really enjoyed this fish and chips place! The cod was my favorite followed by the sole. The mushy peas were excellent. The staff very attentive. In my view, the sticky toffee pudding was too dry. I would not order that again. But the fish was fresh and tasty. Worth the trek.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Dinner in Geales Notting Hill last night, 7 Aug. It has always been a delightful place but something has gone wrong. It took over 90 mins to get our main course, which when it arrived was not what we had ordered. Orders of bread and wine had to be repeated by standing up and going in search of a waitress. Not cheap either. Maybe they were having an off day or half the staff were on strike. Will need evidence that this shocking performance is being addressed before returning.

2  Thank James B
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Can't wait to return to the Nottingham Hill restaurant. These guys know what they'e doing, have never been disappointed.