“Fab and I'm not even a veggie!”

The Gate Hammersmith
Ranked #1,377 of 24,264 Restaurants in London
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: The Gate focuses on creative and healthy vegetarian and vegan dishes that are full of flavours and visually pleasing. We source our ingredients with care and intensify flavour by careful cooking and by combining ingredients in unexpected ways.
Reviewed November 8, 2012

This is for the Gate @ Islington 370 St John Street.
1) Food was really tasty. I took a member of my team to treat her there as she's vegetarian. I loved it myself and would go again for sure. I had the crumbed stuffed with pesto and courgettes aubergine with teriyiaki noodles and a mango salsa which was divine. People may also think vegetarian food isn't as filling but I left the restaurant stuffed. Nice smoothies too. For 2 people including tip we paid about £44 which is a bit more expensive than other restaurants in the area (we had a green tea and a juice and some olives next to the main) but I felt it was worth it.
2) Service: Polite and with a smile
3) Decor: Looks like a gastro-pub - simple.

1  Thank AlexPtraveler

Reviewed October 29, 2012

WE drove into London to treat family members to a Vegetarian lunch, and were hugely disappointed by the menu and the service.
Only the brunch menu was available for Sunday lunch, which meant you had a choice of 3 starters and 2 mains. Not ideal when you really don't fancy Tortillas for Sunday lunch. Having checked back on the website, there is no mention at all that you will only be bale to order from the brunch menu.
Add to this that there was no dairy free main course (or one that could be adapted) even though we had specified this requirement on booking, a thoroughly weak lunch.
When the menu is not up scratch, you can sometimes be won round by the kindness and helpfulness of the staff...not so on this occasion I'm afraid.
We were left for long periods without drinks, attention or service and we struggled to get any details of the dishes. It was clear they didn't know the menu. I also felt the table we were sitting on was incerdibly cramped for 4...
Such a shame .....

1  Thank 5,231,977
Reviewed October 18, 2012

nice decor
nice staff and ..food..
BLAND over priced and a menu boring very misleading to the cook book.
but after saying this we ordered the dessert mezze £15 which was good nothing to shout about..
I just wouldn,t eat there again ..

1  Thank sallyslag
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I am not a vegetarian by any means however a member of our party was and we chose this restaurant as she always has to go to non-vegetarian restaurants with us. This experience was a VERY pleasant surprise, the food was really good as was the service and ambience, in fact one of our guests sent a thank you email saying he could consider becoming a vegetarian. I had the Mediterranean tart which was very tasty followed by the aubergine main which was very flavourful, and yes I have to admit (begrudgingly) that I did not miss meat!!!!

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Went here on a thursday night- I would say the place was about 3/4 full- buzzing, lots of conversations going on. The waiters were fine, the starter came timeously- was zingy and full of flavour- had the involtini- smoky cheese and tomatoes wrapped in a crumbed aubergine- tasty if you like smoky. Mains took a short wait but the food was excellent. We had the tortillas- totally flavourful- and the rotolo- which was perfectly presented and flavoured. Desserts and drinks were also yummy. We had the white choc cheesecake- perfect! and the blueberry choc bread and butter pudding- rich and satisfying. The price was worth the quality and flavours of the food. We left feeling completely nourished! Definitely one of the best veggie meals I've had in London!