“A fantastic little gem in the heart of the West End”
Review of Gaby's Deli

Gaby's Deli
Ranked #2,378 of 24,439 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I love Gaby's and have been going there for years. As a vegetarian there is so much I can eat and it's always delicious and fresh and reasonably priced. Frequented by actors from nearby theatres and with fast and efficient service this is a great place.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Have visited Gaby's several times over the last few years and the salt beef (particularly, in my view, in pitta bread) is simply delicious. Cooked to perfection, thinly sliced but generously jam-packed into a pitta, served with or without pickled cucumbers and salad and please do not miss out on having a side of latka and don't forget to chuck in plenty of mustard. Visited today and I can honestly say it pleased me 100% - filling, wonderfully tasty, at reasonable prices (2 huge salt beef pitta breads, with pickles and a side of latka, with 2 cups of tea, £26 - tip them on top of this). To those who say it's cramped, yes it is, but it's a tiny cafe and, if they cut out any tables, they wouldn't be able to afford to keep open! It's a caff, for goodness sake - go for the food and the quirky atmosphere - it's not a romantic night out - it's a snack bar!

1  Thank EtoileSanderstead
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Even in my hometown of Chicago, with its very large Jewish community, the options for quality deli are limited. Finding out about Gaby's right in the heart of Leicester Square was a thrilling discovery for us. We were thrilled when we realized that the salted beef was just another name for classic Montreal-style smoked meat. In addition to the eastern European style of deli, Gaby's also serves awesome hummus, falafel, kefta and the usual assortment of treats. We topped it off with a phenomenally gooey baklava. Apparently they are dealing with the modern evil of being forced out by developers looking to put another mall/department store/parking lot/whatever. There is a movement afoot to save Gaby's. I know that me and my girlfriend are hoping against hope that this effort succeeds.

2  Thank jmendels
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I had my first visit to Gaby's today. What a delightful little place. A little cramped but clean and friendly. We were seen to quickly. I had the meatballs which were the best i've ever eaten. Great price for good honest food. Looking forward to my next trip into town to try some more delights.

1  Thank Tracy B
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Gaby's is well known for its location and battle to stay open. I've eaten there several times - and although I appreciate its modest prices and the quality of its salads and salt beef - I do have to admit that it's dark, cramped and uncomfortable.
Of course it could remove 3 or 4 tables to increase leg and elbow room - but probably wouldn't be able to pay its way as a result.
The lovely people who serve tables make up for its shortcomings - but I suppose we just have to admit that its a rather shabby West End sandwich cafe.
However, I'd go there every time in order to avoid the multinational so-called coffee houses and the over-inflated sandwich emporia.
Stroll in to Gaby's, eat a fresh dish/sandwich, and spend your saved cash on a good film!

1  Thank davidandloretta