“Good food but!”
Review of Fish!

Fish!
Reserve with OpenTable
Fish! is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,669 of 22,509 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Southwark
Description: Fish! Restaurant in the heart of Borough market, does what it says - providing the very best fish available in London to hungry customers. Established in 1999, restaurateur Tony Allan had a vision to transform the old 18th century Pea Shelling Warehouse into a fish restaurant. The airy interior encompasses the open kitchen where diners can watch the chefs at work. The restaurant opens out onto a large terrace, which is open all year and sits in the heart of Borough weekend market, with views of Southwark Cathedral.
Sunny South coast of UK!
“Good food but!”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

This is a good, busy and bustling restaurant which we booked for and visited on a Saturday lunchtime. Although the tables are pretty cramped and you do get the impression that everyone is a little crammed in. Taking a coat off without sweeping the next table is a careful operation!
Food and drinks were nice and the fish was very light and well cooked. Cost was not cheap, neither was it expensive. Glass of wine, a bottle of beer and 2 mains around £50.

All that said the reason we will not return is the shameful addition of 12.5% " discretionary" service charge. This is added and totalled when you receive the bill and you have to actively ask for it to be removed, which you have to do in front of other diners and your party. Most people will not and this is, in my opinion, just a revenue collection exercise. We always reward good service and would have tipped on Saturday but this method of "default" tipping is poor practice.

The dictionary definition of discretionary is "left to discretion : exercised at one's own discretion", having it added before receiving the bill is patently NOT discretionary. We had looked forward to our visit to the market and had booked our table some weeks ago. It's a shame that we were left with a sour taste in the mouth and it wasn't from the food.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Teamscoop

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
“Fish Supper”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Friday evening so had to be Fish & Chips! Decided to visit Borough Market, which is always was very busy, restaurant was not so when my wife and I arrived @ 19:00 but filled up as we were there.

Service and food was very good although I still think my local Fish and Shop does a better tasty supper. More expensive than my usual Friday evening supper!

• Visited February 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Great fish, frantic atmosphere”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Exceptional fish, good, simple, wine list and fantastic desserts. The only problem is that it was too busy on a Saturday lunchtime. The tables are very tightly packed and the sound of conversation was not relaxing. This was a shame as the food was fantastic. I prefer a more relaxed atmosphere so it wasn't for me.

Visited February 2013
“First time and last”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Disappointing and too expensive, that would be the summary.

I had read very good reviews of this Restaurant located in Borough Market, but I am afraid I don't agree with them at all.

Despite the service being attentive and efficient, the main attraction of this venue was not up to the standard.

Something as simple to prepare as a grilled fish was completely ruined for being extremely overcooked.

The gorgeous chunk of halibut was as dry as the Sahara and tasted nothing in particular. The grilled squid was also quite charred and you could notice immediately that the grill was not properly cleaned, as the squid tasted of "grill leftovers". Finally, the 120 g of wild sea bass at 23 pounds a portion (plus 12.5% of compulsory service, by the way), was OKish as I ordered it rare and came medium to well done.

Moreover, portions were small for the price, house wine was 25 pounds a bottle and from there up. As I said, not good value for money. The bill with a couple of starters to share between three people, the mains, one bottle of white wine and one double espresso came at a bit more than 40 pounds per person.

The positive note was the seafood salad as starter, which was much better than the mains.

For sure, not the best place for fish in London and not a place to go back.

• Visited January 2013
Charlee A, Owner at Fish!, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for your review of fish! Borough Market.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your meal with us on this occasion. My apologies on behalf of the kitchen if your fish was over cooked. All of our fish is delivered fresh daily from our own fishmongers so for it to then be ruined whilst cooking is very disappointing.

Our two different red and white house wines are listed at £17.95 and £18.95, these are listed both in the wine list at the restaurant and also online. It is also stated on all menus that the 12.5% service charge is discretionary which means it is your choice as to whether or not you wish to pay it; not compulsory as your review states.

If you wish to discuss any details of your meal further please feel free to contact me via email - charlee@fishkitchen.com
London
“Bit pricey for what it is....”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

This was my 3rd trip to Fish! on Saturday.. been about 3 years ago and 4 years ago and remembered it feeling like a special night out on both occassions

The waiter was very polite and took our drinks orders quickly.
The cheapest house white wine is about £20 which seemed a bit steep. It was okay but I thought a little expensive for what it was.
My friend had from the specials board moule mariniere for starter and lemon sole for main course. I had whitebait for starter and moule mariniere for main course.

We also had one small bowl of chips to share. All the food was tasty but really nothing special. I've had much better mussels in cafe rouge at half the price. They were also presented in a pyrex type bowl (glass see through) I also had a few mussels that tasted a bit wrong so disposed of them and didn't eat them.

We were on quite a small table and with the mussels, mussel shell bowl, bowl of chips, lemon finger bowl, drinks, wine cooler etc.. the table seemed very crowded and it took the waiter about 20 minutes to clear our empty plates away after we'd finished.. we felt a bit ignored to be honest.

We had 2 bottles of wine in total, 2 starters and 2 main courses and one side order and the bill came to £100.

So, all in all we had a nice time but I wouldn't go back now. If you want to spend £50 per head there are much better places to go where you feel a bit more spoilt and important and the food is presented in a much better way. Or go somewhere cheaper and get similar food.

• Visited January 2013