“Special meal ruined by poor service”
Review of First Floor Restaurant - CLOSED

First Floor Restaurant
Cuisines: European, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Notting Hill
Description: If Harpers and Queen are raving about your restaurant you know you’ve got it made. But, let’s face it Notting Hillbillies don’t need H&Q to tell them that First Floor is ‘wonderful’ and ‘decadent’. They clearly already know that this shrine to glamour and good taste is a winner because there’s a profusion of fashionable locals in here every night basking under the huge chandelier among the boho chic Austen-meets-French chateau décor. The surroundings might be impressive but they’d be nothing without the food – beautifully prepared luxurious modern European dishes such as the rapture inducing dover sole with chargrilled asparagus and caper butter sauce.
London, United Kingdom
“Special meal ruined by poor service”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I booked First Floor to enjoy a final Sunday lunch with a small group friends before I emigrate from the UK in May. The food was very nice but, although the restaurant was not busy, the service was dreadful (slow, inattentive, completely out of depth and at times rude). Although this was mitigated somewhat by a sincere apology by the manager, and a compensatory bottle of fizz (which was appreciated), disappointingly, the experience left a sour taste. I would not go back.

London, United Kingdom
“A little gem in Potabello”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Having enjoyed many a cocktail in bar in the Ground Floor Bar we decided to book for lunch at the First Floor Restaurant, we were very impressed with the decor of the restaurant, a lovely high ceiling room, with beautifully set tables, it was both opulant and quirky. A lovely choice of dishes on the menu, and all exceptionally good, as we were a table of six, we tried a fair selection.
The sole waiter was charming and the service impeccable. Highly recomended and we look forward to returning soon.

1 Thank Michael S
london
“All- time favourite”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have been coming to the first floor restaurant for 20 years now and am looking forward to spend my birthday there this week once again. Notting Hill has changed so much over the years, but the First Floor restaurant is still authentic, unpretentious, great boho ambience, friendly service and fantastic reasonable food. I love dinner there as much as a weekend brunch overlooking the hustle and bustle of Portobello market.

London, England, United Kingdom
“Wonderful dinner, excellent service, superb experience!”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We went to First Floor for a dinner, it was me and 2 of my friends. The atmosphere was great - beautiful room, really nice setting - really reminded me of old French bistro, very parisian perhaps and to make it even better - beauitiful view of portobello rd from the window too.
We were greeted by the very friendly and nice French manager of the restaurant, who was lovely the entire night, very accommodating and knowledgeable!!

The food was fantastic from appetizer to main - I had gravlax for my appy and duck for my main - both really great. My friend had the fish, which she polished off her plate, and really enjoyed it - my other friend had the chicken and really liked it as well.

We had margaritas after, and they were amazing too. All of our food was from the set menu and it was really worth the price. £20 for main and appy. or £25 for 3 courses. For the quality of food, that is really reasonable, as I've dined in similar restaraunts where it was twice if not more as much for the food, and the quality of the food was not even half as good.

Overall, a wonderful dinner, with great company, food and atmosphere. Very pleased and will be coming back soon.

• Visited March 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely Surprise!”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Walking up the stairs to the restaurant, we thought we had taken a wrong turn and were about to go back down until we discovered the beautiful room that made me feel like I was in an old Parisienne cafe.

We took advantage of the 2 courses for £15 and were very pleased indeed. The chicken was so moist and tasty and the duck literally just fell off the bone.

I'm not sure how popular the restaurant actually is, but it made me feel as though I had discovered a real secret hidden treasure, tucked away looking down on the busy Portobello Road.
I'd definitely recommend for those wanting somewhere a bit quirky with good quality food.

• Visited February 2013