“Was Good, Not so much anymore...” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6,838 of 22,204 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children
London, United Kingdom
“Was Good, Not so much anymore...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

My partner and me went there a few times and each time the food was really tasty. I would gladly recommend this restaurant to anyone, till our last visit...

Our waiter was too casual, made jokey remarks that left us uncomfortable. We asked for the starters to be less spicy. Our waiter advised us that they will add one chilli instead of three, he also recommended us to get Tofu with our vegetarian Pad Thai. When our food arrived it turned out that the salads were very hot! As we already asked for the reduced amount of chilli we just figured that there's no point to complain and we tried to eat what we could... When the waiter arrived to take our plates he jokingly told us that he actually hadn't asked the kitchen for a less spicy version of our dishes - even though he said everything can be altered during the order! So my burnt mouth was for nothing.

The pad thai tasted of old oil. I eat some of my noodles and left the tofu, and my partner left hers entirely. The sticky rice was like glue and unpleasant.

When the waiter saw we had left most of our main course, we told him the issue. He said that tofu is not recommended since it absorbs the oil. Tasted fine last 3 times. Whatever. And why suggest/serve up something he knew would not be good anyway?! He said it was surprising since his mother was cooking tonight, then proceeded to turn round and shout to his mum that we did not like her cooking... Tacky.

We just wanted to leave at this point and asked for the bill. The waiter did not try to make amends, offer a freebie or anything. We will not be going back -ever. Instead we went straight to Wagamama... Such a shame since we rather liked this Thai restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank a1812

York, United Kingdom
“Great food, value for money and friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

Went to this restaurant last night and the food was really good and reasonably priced (good portion sizes too). The penang curry was a bit different to what I've had before and quite salty but very tasty. Massaman curry was delicious, with beef which I've not tried before and lots of peanuts (yum)! The staff were very friendly and made me laugh :-)

• Visited July 2013
Greenwich, Connecticut
“Seriously good Thai”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

Even though I can get great Thai in NY and CT near my home, I look forward to visiting London so I can eat some seriously delicious Thai at Esarn Kheaw.

• Visited April 2013
“AWFUL EXPERIENCE!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

We have been to this restaurant twice before. Food ok but not great. Quite greasy. But the worst is the service. Last night we ordered a takeaway, the crispy wontons had no meat whatsoever inside, the pad thai was flavoured with what tasted like tomato ketchup and the chicken noodle soup was very oily and had what tasted like a weeks worth of salt, it was inedible. So we called back to complain just about the wontons and noodle soup. They were very rude and refused to refund or replace the food, we were willing to go back and collect in the case that this may have just been a one off bad meal but the response we were given was rude and unnecessary. I will never go back to this restaurant again. ( I have never written a bad report before!)

• Visited April 2013
“Friendly and quick.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

When we arrived at the restaurant for the first time it was difficult to take everything in. The interior is spacious and well designed with a mirrored wall. There is a small bar and a fish tank on display.

We were instantly fussed over by brother and sister team on front of house duty. Sat near a window we had a quiet table without feeling separated from the other diners.

The food was instant and our enthusiastic waiter helped with both food and drink choices.

The quality of the food was great. The speed at which it came was electric. The red curry especially was super. The Thai sausages to start were tastey (although we were shown, how to eat them, at length).

I would thoroughly recommend it!