“Ten percent tip! Or else....”
Review of El Parador

El Parador
Ranked #589 of 24,255 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: American, Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Great food here, easily walkable from Euston station. We visited on a Sunday evening and it wasn't so busy - otherwise I guess it would be cramped a little when full.
The menu states that a 10% service charge is added to groups of 5 or more, there were 4 of us and we left about 7 to 8% I guess when I went to the bar to pay. The young waiters happy attitude changed immediately and he ignored our presence from then on. No goodbye or thank-you as we left, even when we said it to him, embarrassing really. I suggest that if they want 10% they should make it clear and add it on -as I wouldn't want others to experience the cold shoulder treatment at the end of an otherwise decent experience.

Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

I've eaten at El Parador many times before and this visit was just as good if not better than before. The food is amazing and reasonably priced. The restaurant doesn't look much from the outside but once inside you experience an authentic Spanish tapas restaurant. In the summer they also open up the garden which is also lovely. A must visit for anyone in the area

Reviewed February 22, 2013

We were brought here by a colleague who is a regular and she had them bring us about a dozen different dishes and all were so great to try. The variety of foods was impressive and it was wonderful to discover do many new flavours. I loved the blackened carrots and so many other dishes were also mouth watering. The deserts were decadent. I would highly recommend this place and hope to return one day

1  Thank MandM12345
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Originally we were set on the Blues Kitchen however they were unable to entertain our party as my daughter was below 18. So down Camden High Street to find something else.
Trip Advisor recommended El Parador but we were hungry. Tapas!! well we would pay a lot and still be hungry!! From the outside nothing special and we couldn't read the menu as it was obscured by condensation. Waked in, busy, could we get a table for 4 on a tuesday evening at 7.45?
Well only just, and in the end how pleased we were that we did.
Initially service was cool as we didn't want wine (a mistake as a bottle would have been better value than three glasses). Front of House is controlled by two guys one of whom saw that we were prevaricating and helpfully came over to explain the principle that courses were starter sized and that the idea was to order various and share, and maybe add later. No pressure just quiet advice.
The menu was split into fish, vegetarian and meat. So initially we had chorizo with slow roasted tomatoes, chicken thighs, tuna special, beetroot and caramelised onions, patates harras, spanish sausage (almost akin to haggis), artichokes and Tiger Prawns along with bread. All were cooked to perfection and while some of the more subtle flavours promised by the descriptions didn't quite materialise it would be churlish to conclude anything other than excellent.
But still peckish so then puy lentils, venison, another chorizo, sweet potato and calamari all served quickly so a pause not two meals
In summary the tuna was melt in the mouth, chorizo outstanding, calamari best ever, who could make beetroot taste so delicious, sweet potato fantastic and puy lentils a delight. All other dishes were very good but the above stood out.
Service was efficient but discreet, the restaurant itself small but cosy and warm with not a spare table. And then in came the party for downstairs at least 20 people. Yes this is a Tuesday in February and the occupancy was 100% that says it all.
Left content and with a bill at less than £ 20 per head (excluding booze) having had a early enjoyable evening despite initial misgivings.
Having visited Barcelona last year and had tapas we would rate this as superior to our Spanish experience, praise indeed.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I've lived in Camden Town for 20 years. I know, a long time folks.

As an aside, it is very peaceful and quiet where I live. There are canals and parks around me, and my kids walk to school over Primrose Hill. It's healthy, peaceful urban living.

ANYWAY, I've been going to El Parador on and off over the years and it is incredible. I've eaten tapas in Galicia, in Anadalucia, in Barcelona, and nothing has matched the overall, lip smacking flavours of El Parador.

There was a time, maybe a decade ago, when I felt the ambience wasn't so welcoming, but now it's a bit like going to a frinds house - very informal and relaxing.

Try the baby squid, the fennel, the liver (it's the only place I ever eat it) and the bean starter. And drink Rioja.

Delicious.