“A guaranteed success”

The Duke of Cambridge
Reserve with OpenTable
The Duke of Cambridge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,125 of 24,255 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Duke of Cambridge is the only certified organic pub in the UK. Open everyday for lunch and dinner, we serve delicious Modern British cuisine with Mediterranean influences, all made with the freshest seasonal ingredients sourced from local organic farmers and growers. Alongside the food, we serve a range of artisan ales and lagers, organic and natural wines, and spirits. All sourced according to our strict sustainability criteria.
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Food 9, pub food on another level, well worth the price, great flavors
Service 7 not the friendliest but professional
tmosphere 8 iformal and great in simplicity.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We were drawn to the Duke of Cambrudge pub due to their organic and sustainable principles, which are highly impressive and did not disappoint. The menu offered a great deal of choice (vegetarian, fish and meat), the portions were very generous and nicely presented. We felt the price of the food was reasonable considering the lengths they go to in ensuring ethical trading, sustainability and minimising carbon footprint and were personally happy to pay these prices for these assurances. The service was friendly and efficient and the atmosphere very pleasant. The pub side was also enjoyable and has a selection of organic ales and other drinks.
All in all we really enjoyed the visit and look forward to returning later in the year

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have been to the Duke of Cambridge twice. I vaguely remember the Christmas party aabout three years ago. It was fun because I was with friends but don't remember much about the food, though it must have been reasonable as I don't have bad memories of it.

But after last week's visit, I am unlikely to return. The Duke of Cambridge squarely falls into the gastro pub category with sustainable fishing and organic produce it's claims to fame. I whole-heartedly agree with it's principles. My is the quality of the food and the price. A number of others at our table of eight remarked on the disappointment they felt after tasting their chosen dishes. Many at our table were enticed by the sausage and bean casserole. I opted for the fish stew.

The casserole tasted like sausages thrown into a can of cannelloni beans and warmed through. My fish stew arrived late but looked appetising. There was a heavy handed use of pollack - a white fish very much in fashion right now for being sustainable stock. And extremely cheap. Oh and very bland. Let me be fair, there were at least 4 mussels in the dish, which were quite possibly the best part of the dish. The sauce was pleasant and tangy and tried to do justice to the overcooked and bland pollack, but there was no saving grace. I could identify every key ingredient in the dish and can probably serve it up for less than £3. So the £17 I paid must have been for the privilige of the cramped table, the wobbly chair and the fact that I had to order the food at the bar and pay for it there and then. A good strategy on the pub's part, because I may not have wanted to after eating.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I've been eating at the Duke for years and I still really enjoy every visit and meal. The pub has a relaxed, low-lit atmosphere - no loud music or flashing computer games, just buzzing conversation. I love its laid back retro style of mismatched wooden tables and chairs. I'm not a huge meat eater, so often eat the fish or veggie options, which are always great (especially the veggie curries). When I do eat meat there I know it's come from a good source and I'm not getting anything dodgy. This is what persuaded me to try rabbit and venison for the first time - really delicious (I look out for venison and chocolate stew now)! They have a great selection of wine (try the British wines - surprisingly good!) and I can't recommend the cheese board enough (somebody really knows their cheeses there).
I can't think of a reason not to go really, its a good honest pub, the food is great, portions really generous and you know you're getting good organic stuff.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Nice pub but very noisy as enormous tables mean everyone has to shout, even if they sit opposite each other. There were 2 vegetarian options on the menu - spaghetti with tomato sauce (zzz) and an inedible beetroot risotto for 13.50. Staff were very good and gave me my money back when I sent back plate of risotto untouched, but it is disappointing to have such a poor choice of veggie dishes. You might expect this sort of thing in smaller towns or cheaper restaurants, but not from an organic pub in Islington.
Apple crumble (consolation dessert) was very good