“Older crowd but a good night out..”
Review of Dover Street Restaurant - CLOSED

Dover Street Restaurant
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: This is one of the few places in London which consistently offers a combination of fine cuisine with top live music acts and dancing every night until 3am. The restaurant has recently been refurbished and serves modern French/Mediterranean style food. This is a great place to go if you want a lively atmosphere and entertainment in a West End location. What's cooking? King prawns with lobster sauce, Dover Street gravadlax, toasted goats cheese with Mediterranean roast vegetables, char grilled fillet steak, pot roasted duck with carrot puree, braised parsnips and potato sautee.
London
“Older crowd but a good night out..”
Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

The Dover Street is an upmarket place with a good vibe. We purchased the Wowcher deal which was good value for money and the service we received was good.

We were seated in the bar area and had to vacate our table as the band was starting and the area needed to be cleared. It was a bit annoying but with a Wowcher deal you never expect to be treated like a regular paying customer.

The crowd was definitely an older one so we felt a bit "out" after dinner had finished but everyone was having fun. I have nothing against age and would definitely return with my parents next time.

Really great location and Mahiki is right next door if your looking to spot some famous faces :-)

• Visited March 2013

Sutton, United Kingdom
“Liked it from start to finish”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I read some reviews before writing mine, and was shocked to say the least. I am always very honest with my reviews, and being a regular restaurant visitor, am sometimes a little over critical as i have experienced pretty much each range of the spectrum. But i will give my opinion which i think is pretty unbiased. I like others purchased a wowcher deal. For people saying they are unaware of the 12.5% service is their own fault, as it is in the small print, and something on pretty much every deal i've ever had, if you don't like it, go to Harvester! When we arrived, we were shown to our table accordingly, and were actually the first ones in the restaurant. We were not rushed as we were waiting for one of our guests to arrive. We started with some cocktails, which althoguh weren't cheap, were very well made and very tasty. We then moved on to wine, which wasn't cheap, but better than some london prices, and the waiter advised us well. We started with Pumpkin soup and bread, which was lovely. Then we had starters of stuffed mushroom, asapragus and calamari. All were very well cooked and flavoured. Then we had lamb, steak and a chicken chasseur for mains. The lamb was cooked perfectly, and needed no flavouring. My only moan was that it could have been cooked the same as the steak, to give it a chargrilled flavour, but as it was such a nice piece of lamb, they chose against that which i understand. But the best dish had to be the chicken chasseur. The chicken was so well cooked, it was moist from the first to the last mouthfull, the accompanying veg was all perfectly cooked. I say the chicken was the best part, but the desert was equally as nice. It was a lovely flavoured cheesecake. It was so delicious and light, and a lovely conclusion to the meal. We were there for nearly 3 hours, and it just flew by. The guys playing the Jazz were excellent. They played songs that we knew, but in a jazz style, and just added to the ambience. The security seemed a little pointless, and did impose themselves, but i understand it turns into a bit of a nightclub after, so may be necessary. Due to the misses being pregnant but will definately come here again, with or without a voucher. A last mention for our waiter, he was very attentive without being overbearing, and really added to the enjoyment of our meal.

1 Thank The_Dootch
London
“Not worth a second visit”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My boyfriend and I went to the Dover Street Restaurant last night having purchased one of those Wowcher deals (I'm glad we didn't have to pay full price as it simply wouldn't have been worth it). What wowcher doesn't tell you is that the 12.5% service charge isn't included. I really don't like when a service charge is automatically added as I like to make my own mind up on that - if the service is good I'll tip well. However, on this occasion the service was pretty good and staff were helpful and friendly. There was quite a wait between the main course and the dessert but considering how fast everything else had come out before, we actually needed time to digest!! One negative from a service point of view was the table we were given - a tiny table pressed up against the DJ's booth. I could have understood if the place had been really busy but it was half empty (probably why they are continually doing deals on Wowcher).

We were given a bellini cocktail on arrival and advised on our choices for starters, main and dessert. There was no choice of soup and last night it was pumpkin - at least that's what our waiter said but it tasted suspiciously like heinz chicken soup which was very odd!! It was served with a choice of bread rolls which definately weren't freshly baked that day. I then had the calamari with tartare sauce which was delicious and my boyfriend had the stuffed mushroom with quails egg which was somewhat overcooked and rubbery.

For main course I had the grilled seabass which was cooked well but the accompanying vegetables and the 'roasted' sweet potatoes in particular were overcooked and completely tasteless. My boyfriend had the rack of lamb which was cooked to his taste but once again accompanied by vegetables lacking any taste.

Our desserts were cheesecake and chocolate mousse (the only two choices offered) and both tasted like something you'd pick up in your local supermarket - in fact I've had better supermarket desserts! The fifth course (and I say his laughingly) was a truffle each - brought to us with a tiny bowl of cream. Hmmmm.......

We had a £30 bottle of Pinot Grigio to accompany our meal (I think the cheapest wine on the menu is about £25) and it was no better or worse than my usual £7.99 supermarket bottle.

Throughout our meal a 'jazz' trio (and I use the term very loosely) were playing what can only be described as lift music. There was no atmosphere whatsoever and the trio were largely ignored by the diners. We left before the disco started so I can't say whether or not the atmosphere improved but given how quiet the place was I very much doubt it.

A number of previous reviews have mentioned the rudeness of the security staff but I can honestly say I didn't witness any such behaviour and found them to be very friendly.

All in all the food wasnt totally terrible but it wasn't good either - most gastro pubs now offer better food for half the price. This may have been considered fine dining back in the Dover Street Restaurants heyday but diners today expect more and there are lots of better priced places providing it.

1 Thank Marie F
chelmsford, essex
“Great night out, with surprisingly good food”
Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Visited Dover street restaurant for a work night out. To be honest I wasn't expecting much from the food, I was more looking forward to drinking and dancing to some live jazz. I was very shocked at the quality of the food.

I had the calamari which was cooked very well, accompanied by one of the nicest tartare sauces I have tasted. it was also a fair portion with a lot more than you usually would receive when eating calamari. For the main I had fillet steak rostini cooked medium well. The fillet was massive and cooked very well. I eat steak at a lot of good restaurants and this piece of meat was cooked to perfection. Overall I was very surprised at the quality of food, and the service was very good with staff being very friendly and efficient. They have a great wine list as well. We had a good few bottles of the chateauneuf du pape which as ever was very nice.

The best part for me was the entertainment. We all had a good drink which resulted in lots of dancing to quality live jazz. If I was paying for this myself I would have said it was pretty expensive for what it is, but you pay for the good atmosphere and entertainment package as a whole. This is probably quite a big tourist hotspot right next to the ritz, so beware you will need quite a bit of cash.

Visited April 2013
london
“nothing special”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Large basement venue with music. I was told it was meant to be jazz, but it seemed to be whatever. Ordinary food which came out in a mass catering fashion. Wasn't awful, but wasn't great either. Place for a load of friends on a night out.