“True to its regionality”
Review of Club Gascon

Club Gascon
Ranked #361 of 24,255 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City of London
Description: Pascal Aussignac's Michelin-starred restaurant located next to Smithfield market, Barbican & St Paul's. Club Gascon boasts a stunning menu with dishes that focus on the finest ingredients from South West France - a 6 course tasting menu 'Le MArche' is offered for £80.00 The a la carte menu is divided into sections, encouraging diners to share plates; wine-pairings and tea-pairings are offered throughout. A weekday lunch offer is available of 3 courses for £35 / 2 for £29 - delivered within 45 minutes.
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was lucky enough to share this experience with a colleague originally from Toulouse and apart from the non-French speaking waiter, almost everything worked very well indeed.
We had the evening tasting menu, with wine pairing, the full works so to speak and paid £90 each plus the ubiquitous "service charge" that in England seems to only be prevalent in London
So from the Amuse Bouche to the Marmite ice cream, it was beautifully served, every course explained in depth, the wine poured by a superb sommelier who really did know his stuff and was very enthusiastic and took time not only to explain but to engage and compare. he enjoyed talking to my partner for the evening too, who knew several of the wines.

It was South West France regional which may put some people off, so lots of goose based dishes. Not everyone worked perfectly however, that isn't a criticism of the food, rather my taste. The fois gras in consomme I didn't get at all for example. I also got a little lost at the end with several pudding courses arriving, the above mentioned marmite ice cream was underwhelming (too small) but all in all, loved the majority of it.

They also do a much more reasonable priced evening meal during the week too at about £30, if you like genuine French cooking, as opposed to faux French, try it, especially lunch and special menu offers which are really good value.

We went on a Thursday evening - it was quite busy but not entirely full. I did get several calls making sure I was coming though - not something I'd experienced before - is this another London thing?

Reviewed April 6, 2013

For our lunch we choose the 5 course menu entirely based on Foie Gras courses.
Might appear decadent on first glance...
The kitchen produced little gems of dishes in a fantastic variety!
Chapeau!
A dry Jurancon complimented the dishes from start to finish!

Excellent!

1  Thank Wolfgang H
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Having booked a short London city trip months in advance with a couple of family members, I decided dining at a Michelin star restaurant would be the perfect way to spend our evening together. I booked a table for five at Club Gascon, and it was everything I hoped it to be, and more.
We all took the Le Marché menu with accompanying wines, and embarked on a 3-hour culinary adventure. Every dish was special and interesting - yet never felt contrived. The chef clearly likes to experiment, but we never felt lost and all of the delicate ingredients worked wonderful together. A special mention goes to the foie gras de canard, which was accompanied by a truly wonderful whisky sauce. The plaice & sorrel dish was also a fine balancing act that received a lot of praise from our table, as did the chorizo-glazed crab claws. The course that was most 'shocking' was our 5th course which contained various porc creations, including what I assume was a slice of andouillette. This extremely thin slice had such a powerful taste, it caught several of my table companions by surprise - and was maybe a little too strong.
Finally I'd like to add the accompanying wines were excellent, probably the best wine pairing I've ever received.
One criticism: we started dining at 7pm and at that time the restaurant was wonderfully tranquil with only 3 other tables being served. However, as the evening progressed, obviously all other tables were occupied as well and several of the other guests preferred to have quite loud conversations. As this is such a small restaurant, it became really noisy and it started to irritate us slightly. Then again, I don't think the restaurant can ever solve this I guess.

1  Thank pjdq
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Another reviewer wrote of an explosion of flavours & I think that sums up well the dining experience at Club Gascon. We had the set lunch & it was a treat for our taste buds. Also a good menu to choose from with 6 alternative starters & main dishes, 3 desserts & 2 cheese plates. The presentation of each dish is a work of art & shows great attention to detail. I have no complaint to make about small portions, contrary to some reviewers. I would say they are typical for this style of dining & perfectly adequate. The wine list is excellent, entirely French with a particular focus on the south. The service was good. We were not hurried nor did we wish to be. They were happy to describe as many of the less familiar dishes in as much detail as needed to help our selection. That was a difficult task but one assisted by the certainty that we will return to try others.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

We returned to Club Gascon with a couple of friends and were glad we did!

We took the chef's menu and between us had one of everything. Presentation was fantastic and the staff explained some of the finer details that we questioned.

Service was good though we've had excellent in the past. My only slightly negative was the rather aloof nature of the somelier but then maybe that comes with the job?

Would really recommend the black olive millionaire to anybody, it was stunning.

We'll be back for sure.