“Classy high-end restaurant, good food, a little expensive but worth it”
Review of Chutney Mary - MOVED

Chutney Mary
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Description: Following 25 glorious years in Chelsea, Chutney Mary has now moved to its new home in St. James's Street. It now features a completely new site of menus to suit every time of the day, mood and taste. Serving contemporary Indian, extensive menu from seafood to grills with a few slow-cooked curries and as interesting variety of breads. Adjacent to the restaurant, is a destination bar with its unique atmosphere serving exotic cocktails, many with botanicals, as well as non-alcoholic drinks such as fresh coconut water in shell and fresh pineapple juice in fruit. The varies drinks list includes craft beers and artisanal gins & malts.
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Second time there last night, went with my partner on a special deal for the 7 course tasting menu (one pays, one gets it free).

Location/space - large restaurant downstairs, private dining room upstairs, nice reception area/coatheck area. Nicely decorated, dining areas broken up into different zones - all very chic and nice.

Food - really good. fresh ingredients (we had scallops to start, the lamb and chicken were cooked well), all very well spiced. Some dishes quite hot/spicy, but nothing unmanageable. Dishes come in their individual dishes, everything is well separated, and it's far removed from the typical indian where you often get a homogenous pile of food that looks as if it's been eaten before. If you like Indian you'll love this, and it's as far removed from e.g. Brick Lane as you could get.

Service - extremely attentive. Wine and water refilled properly throughout. Waiter explained what the dishes were, m'aitre d asked how things were. There's a clear focus on service, but it's unobtrusive.

Wine - very good list, average price for a good white or red will be £30 upwards, and there are some very expensive options.on that list. Maybe 120 or so wines in all? A big list.

Atmosphere - nice, relaxing, spacious, tables nicely separated.

Price - it's not cheap. Even with one of the two 7 course tasting menus free,my £45 coursed and a bottle of wine meant it was just shy of £100 with tip. But we thought it was well worth it.

Comparisons - couldn't believe a post here thta said it was not as good as Masala zone. The latter is OK but delivers mass-produced food (delivered to each outlet) whereas this place has chefs who use good ingredients and clearly know what they're doing.

Dont' think "Indian - ah, tacky carpets, obsequious waiters, big cardboard menu, good, cheap food" - this is an upmarket place, serving upmarket food, presented well with good service - and a price tag to match.

Tip: not really doable by tube or bus, as it's way down the end of Kings Road so taxi from Fulham Broadway or Sloane Square or Earls Court would be best.

2  Thank jeremy r

Reviewed May 10, 2012

We went here for a special occasion. The food choice was poor and the staff were not very helpful. I am a vegetarian and the choice was poor I don't eat mushrooms and there wasn't anything else I could have. I asked if they could make me something and the answer was no. We all had to have the taster menu as i didnt want it because of the lack of choice and was told i had to as the other two people on the table were having it and again the waiter was not helpful. This was poor value for money especially the veggie option. The staff didn't even know what their signature dish was. Masala zone is much better and would recommend that. I would not recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed May 7, 2012

We went to Chutney Mary to celebrate my brother's birthday and there were 6 of us - including my particularly fussy "I don't like curries" mother! I had asked when making the booking to be seated in the conservatory and I was delighted to find that my request had been granted on arrival.

The staff were delightful and there was a wonderful ambiance in the restaurant. The fusion menu meant that my mother was able to enjoy a delicious lamb shanks dish which she said was very tasty indeed, while I tucked into scallops as a starter and roast duck (with a glorious array of delicate spices).

There were a variety of dishes on our table and they were all exquisite. We also found that drinking individual glasses of champagne (for the girls) and Indian lager for the boys was a very sensible way to drink.

It's true that the a la carte menu is expensive (btw the "typical" menu price indicated on the Chutney Mary website is out of date!), but we thoroughly enjoyed our evening. And I would still recommend Chutney Mary.

1  Thank YinxFed
Reviewed May 7, 2012

The food was good but I have had better at half the price. The ambiance is very nice and the service was excellent. Overall it would have been better than average except that the cost was double what it should have for the meal. The main dishes, especially lamb, are very good and priced high but it would have been manageable except that everything else was an extra cost, including rice. Overall, it is too expensive for what you get.

1  Thank tamcarol
Reviewed May 7, 2012

It was a cold saturday night last february, it was snowing and when we arrived there it was a great surprise: decoration, service and food. We were 7 people at the round table and we had the chance to try diferent kinds of indian food. Everything was delicious, we enjoy the place and the chance to eat that type of food that we don't have in Rio de Janeiro.

1  Thank Libia S