“Stunning setting”

China Tang at The Dorchester
Reserve with OpenTable
China Tang at The Dorchester is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,064 of 22,564 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Cross street: Curzon Street
Transit: Hyde Park Corner 0.3 miles Green Park 0.4 miles Marble Arch 0.4 miles
Description: Conceived by Sir David Tang, the founder of China Clubs in Hong Kong, Peking and Singapore, as well as the life-style brand, "Shanghai Tang", China Tang offers some of the best and most authentic Cantonese food outside China. Menus do not compromise on classical recipes and all dishes, including its signature Peking Duck are prepared with the freshest ingredients and traditional spices and flavouring (no MSG). The rave reviews won by the food have been matched by the sumptuous interior, which is designed to evoke a romantic sense of the art deco of the Thirties. As well as an abundance of chinoiserie, and quirky objets d'art, the restaurant showcases a collection of both traditional and contemporary Chinese art, all personally chosen by Sir David Tang.In addition to the restaurant, China Tang features an exquisite bar that offers a list of classic cocktails, made to perfection, which can be ordered to accompany the dim sum menu that is served all day. For special occasions, the restaurant also offers diners 3 private dining rooms - Ping, Pang and Pong!
London, United Kingdom
“Stunning setting”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Ate here in December with 3 colleagues. We had drinks in the bar beforehand which was very pleasant. It's roomy and accommodates all party sizes. You need to go right into the restaurant to find it. I found the food to be a little mixed to be honest, the duck was sublime but some of the other dishes a bit ordinary. It's possible it was our choice but its an expensive restaurant so I wouldn't expect any to be a bit boring. The dumplings were also very good though. Service is good as you would expect and despite the demonstration outside we had a fun evening. Just be careful on your choices of dishes.

• Visited December 2012
Peter H, General Manager at China Tang at The Dorchester, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Simon T,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent dinner at China Tang at The Dorchester. I am pleased to read how much you enjoyed the atmosphere and drinks in the bar beforehand. I will share your comments regarding the food with the team and I look forward to welcoming you back here again soon.

Billings, Montana
“expected much more”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My husband and I were guests at the Dorchester and thought for our first night we would eat at the hotel, and we both love chinese food so this seemed a good choice. This review is about service and attention and not food as the food was very good. The picture of the dining room looked very nice, so we made reservations a month in advance. Since the dining room looked quite nice and we were at a very nice hotel we donned our smart casual clothes and headed down. (It is in the basement by the way...past the very smoky lounge/bar, but not smoky in the restaurant) The room is as shown in the middle but the sides are lined with small tables, which was where we were seated, next to a service door. There were maybe 8 other people in the restaurant at the time and this was easily the worst table. Since we were back there by ourselves we decided to make the best of it. Bad move. A large group of 12 adults and 7 small babies (under a year) were brought over and the rest of the small tables were pushed together into one long row of crying misery. As I said the food was good and I would say the service by the staff was helpful, but the floor manager and the staff (to a point) missed the boat in controlling the restaurant and making sure all guests had a good dining experience. We saw the matre d stopping by other tables and assisting with service...he avoided our long row like the plague. We were almost finished with our dinner so didn't try to catch his eye to move to another table. I do fault the staff for not realizing this was a huge imposition on a couple who had long standing reservations and were guests of the hotel...which usually gets you a nice table. Then we got a really lackluster no eye contact "thank you" from a few guys standing around as we left. If you want to eat here, wear jeans, and be as loud as you like, because this is a PF Chang experience at best.

Dear Nordic1,
Many thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent dinner at China Tang. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the food and but I am very sorry to read how your experience did not live up to your expectations. All feedback we receive is of great value and I will share your comments regarding seating arrangements with the rest of the team. I hope I get the opportunity to welcome you back here again and please don’t hesitate to contact me directly to make arrangements.
London/Worcs
“Superb”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Celebrated New Years Eve with friends in China Tang. The restaurant can be accessed directly from Park Lane or through the hotel foyer. We started off the evening in the bar which was very busy but we were found seating for the10 of us.

Restaurant decor is really stunning, service slick and the food delicious. We had a set 8 course Banquet Menu - and the two absolute highlights were the tiger prawn - best I have ever eaten and the Duck which is carved at the table. The wine list is very extensive and there are some decently priced wines.

1 Thank TraLonW
Dear TraLonW,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a kind review of your recent visit to China Tang at The Dorchester and I am delighted that you chose to spend New Year’s Eve with us. It’s great to read how much you all enjoyed the food and drinks in the bar and I hope to welcome you all back here again soon.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“THE BEST CHINESE FOOD IN THE UK”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Hi,
If you are ever in London on business or holiday you must book at Table at the China Tang Resturant at the Dorchester Hotel, Do not be put off on price you get the best Chinese food in the UK at no more than a top calss Chineese Resturant in Nottingahm, what you get is quality the best Duck carved at your table to put into pancakes, not the usual shredded duck this is slices of duck Breast carved at the table.
I have been now 10 times and every meal has been of the finest quality and WE have tried many many dishes we took friens this time who where alss very very impressed,
Stuart Matthews
Nottingham

1 Thank stuart m
Peter H, General Manager at China Tang at The Dorchester, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear start m,
Thank you for taking the time to write such lovely feedback about your visits to China Tang at The Dorchester. I am delighted to read how much you enjoy the food and thank you for bringing your friends along to share the experience. I will share your kind words with the team here and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“rubbish”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This lets the Dorchester down without a doubt.
The ribs were burned and tough, the lobster dumplings were bland and even the vegtables were badly fried.
A shame because the decor is lovely, to be honest Im quite shocked at the ratings.
Bill was £120 and to be truthful i could order something from my local take away and it would be nice and a quarter of the money.
Sorry China Tang, you need to sort it out.

2 Thank dave657
Peter H, General Manager at China Tang at The Dorchester, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear dave657,
Thank you for taking the time to feedback your experience at China Tang at The Dorchester. I am pleased you enjoyed the decor and ambience of China Tang however I am sorry and disappointed to hear that the food did not live up to your expectations. All guest feedback we receive is of great value and I will be sure to share your comments with the rest of the team here. I would very much like to discuss this with you further; please can I kindly ask that you contact me directly at the hotel?