“Nice restaurant but food disappointing” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of China Tang at The Dorchester

China Tang at The Dorchester
Reserve with OpenTable
China Tang at The Dorchester is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,028 of 22,202 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Cross street: Curzon Street
Transit: Hyde Park Corner 0.3 miles Green Park 0.4 miles Marble Arch 0.4 miles
Description: Conceived by Sir David Tang, the founder of China Clubs in Hong Kong, Peking and Singapore, as well as the life-style brand, "Shanghai Tang", China Tang offers some of the best and most authentic Cantonese food outside China. Menus do not compromise on classical recipes and all dishes, including its signature Peking Duck are prepared with the freshest ingredients and traditional spices and flavouring (no MSG). The rave reviews won by the food have been matched by the sumptuous interior, which is designed to evoke a romantic sense of the art deco of the Thirties. As well as an abundance of chinoiserie, and quirky objets d'art, the restaurant showcases a collection of both traditional and contemporary Chinese art, all personally chosen by Sir David Tang.In addition to the restaurant, China Tang features an exquisite bar that offers a list of classic cocktails, made to perfection, which can be ordered to accompany the dim sum menu that is served all day. For special occasions, the restaurant also offers diners 3 private dining rooms - Ping, Pang and Pong!
London
“Nice restaurant but food disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

China Tang is a very pretty and plush restaurant situated downstairs in the Dorchester Hotel. Great service and a great place for people watching but overpriced, bland, unexceptional Chinese food. We were very disappointed as we went for the food. There are much better and less expensive Chinese restaurants in London. We wouldn't go back.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank multitrippers
Peter H, General Manager at China Tang at The Dorchester, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear multitrippers,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback of your recent visit to China Tang. All feedback we receive is invaluable and I am sorry to hear the food did not live up to your expectations. Please can I ask that you contact me directly as I would very much like to discuss this with you further.

The Netherlands
“The best chinese food in London”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

The restaurant is beautiful. The atmosphere was buzzing. The food was amazing. Impeccable service. The place is expensive but I would say: it is worth it.

Visited October 2012
Peter H, General Manager at China Tang at The Dorchester, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear jvdv,

Many thanks for leaving such a kind review of your recent dinner at China Tang, it is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed the whole experience. I will share your feedback with the rest of the team and I look forward to welcoming you here again soon.

Calgary, Canada
“The ambience was elegant and eclectic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

The best chinese I ever had...although it came in small portions and it was expensive. We arrived early which wasn't a good thing as the restaurant felt empty, however, I enjoyed it because I'm older.

Visited June 2012
Dear turnbsy,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your dinner at China Tang. I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed the food and I look forward to welcoming you back here again soon.

Prague, Czech Republic
“Something special”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

It was really good, something new for me. It was first time for me to eat a seafood... It´s interesting, but not my kind of food. :)

Visited November 2011
Peter H, General Manager at China Tang at The Dorchester, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear MariaStraw,

Many thanks for your review of your recent dinner at China Tang. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the food and were able to try seafood for the first time. Hopefully we’ll get the opportunity to welcome you back here again.

Essex
“OK but there is better in London”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

China Tangs was smaller than I expected and you are on top of each other. The wine is quiet pricey but we expected that but I was annoyed when we asked for water and was given a bottle at £5 next time we asked for a jug of water but it did not come on the third time of asking we just asked for water which came immediately at yes £5. We wanted crispy pancake duck but this was unavailable unless you wanted to order a whole duck! This appeared ludicrous at a Chinese. The other thing that I was not keen on was our first course came out one dish at a time. So when we ordered our main we asked for it all to come at once. We were told they were busy so it would not be possible! This baffled me. We got our way after a bit of a debate. We found the food average but the service was very good attentive but not over bearing. I am pleased I visited China Tangs but would not recommend it.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank IssyBell
Peter H, General Manager at China Tang at The Dorchester, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear IssyBell,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review of your recent visit to China Tang. All feedback we receive is invaluable and I am sorry to read that your experience did not live up to your expectations. I will share your comments with the team involved and I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back here again soon.