“Great food, slow service”
Review of Chez Bruce

Chez Bruce
Reserve with OpenTable
Chez Bruce is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #95 of 23,707 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 1, 2013

After living in Clapham for 2 years my husband and I finally got around to dining at Chez Bruce on Sunday night. The food was great and good value at £45 for 3 courses. You can pay much more in this area for food that isn't nearly as good. The highlight for me was the orange and polenta cake with creme fraiche and honey which was absolutely delicious.

The service was quite slow, we were there 20 minutes without having a drink order taken (I finally asked a waiter). The waiting staff were quite supercilious but I think that in an establishment with a Michelin star, they think it's mandatory to behave that way. It must be in the job description. As I wasn't drinking I asked whether they had any non-alcoholic cocktails, the waiter ummed and aahed then said they 'don't really do' cocktails but try to accommodate any requests. For a supposedly top class restaurant I found that a bit poor.

The quality of the food and the value for money overcame these minor niggles, and we will be back.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,310)

Reviewed June 30, 2013

This is a restaurant dedicated to the fine art of eating. The decor is unpretentious and discreet with subdued lighting though it's bright and cheerful too. The linen is crisp and starched. The only complaint was that the chairs were a bit slippery and you tend to slide off.

However all that is preliminary. We went there for the Sunday lunch on our daughter's first anniversary and it was magnificent. The starters were great. I had the pate de foie gras and it was just the right consistency and taste. The other starters were just great too. To follow two of us chose the veal which was cooked to perfection - melt in the mouth stuff. The others chose bream and hake respectively. The bream was flavourful but the hake was a bit delicate (you may call it bland).

The desserts were great too. The gooseberry fool was the highlight and so was the chocolate. All in all the meal was perfectly cooked and presented. This is fine dining at its best.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Never been disappointed by this fine restaurant. A great experience at a reasonable price. Sommelier knows his wine list and advises you very well.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Almost not worth the bother of reviewing the award winning Chez Bruce, cos its place among London's best restaurants is long since cemented. In short though, it's a watch word in excellence every time I go there. Lunch is probably best value for money, with the outstanding 2 and 3 course fixed price menus on offer. The fish courses are always beautifully prepared, but if it's on the menu the chateaubriand for 2 is outstanding, and the last time I was there, I had probably the single best dessert I've ever tasted. Don't know what it was called, but it was some kind of pineappley sorbet with mojito granita on it - superb.
The staff are great, extremely polite, and never make you feel small over which wine to choose or your lack of knowledge of some of the ingredients and cooking styles listed on the menu. Only complaint is that it can be a little bit staid atmosphere wise, but the food is consistently outstanding

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I am a regular visitor to this brilliant restaurant, twice in June 13. The quality and value for money for lunch is outstanding. The service is brilliant and I have no hesitation in recommending this excellent restaurant.