“Great lunch, excellent for gluten free”

Outlaw's at The Capital
Ranked #171 of 22,367 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Knightsbridge
Description: The Michelin starred restaurant Outlaw's at The Capital boasts an ever changing array of unique dishes created using British seafood caught predominantly around the coast of Cornwall. Masterminded by Nathan Outlaw and Head Chef Tom Brown, who source the freshest and best seafood from fishermen they know. They let the ingredients take centre stage and menus showcase an array of original and creative seafood dishes. Nathan who holds 2 Michelin stars at his eponymous restaurant in the village of Port Isaac, Cornwall spends time each week at the restaurant with Tom.
Mold, United Kingdom
“Great lunch, excellent for gluten free”
Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

After drinks and lovely nibbles in the bar, we had the set menu, which was proceeded by a Chef's savoury, a special gluten free marinated herring dish was offered!! So was toasted gluten free bread. So great start! The whole meal was excellent. The John Dorey was delicious, the service was just great, and we were delighted to see Nigel in the kitchen. We were pleased with the Capital restaurant when we ate there years ago, Nigel Outlaw makes it extra special.

Ringwood, United Kingdom
“A Little Gem”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

A little Gem

Nathan Outlaw will do well here it's a nice room and a great location and he can cook.

My wife started with Crab and Celeriac which was de vine but my Lemon sole on a crispy oyster with little cubes of cucumber just beat hers.

We both then had Cod and Scampi with Rosemary butter and crispy courgette's really light lovely dish that leaves a great taste in your mouth .

The service was really friendly from a really nice Canadian young lady who works with Nathan in his Cornish restaurant.

I wish them the best of luck with this new venture

Visited November 2012
Mclean, Virginia
“Unpretentious and Exquisite”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

To be apreciated for its simple presentation of a delightful journey in the art of eating good food and drinking award winning wine from around the world. Outstanding quality delivered with grace and always with a helpful smile.The restaurent staff were wonderful. Attentive but respectful of space and time. The Wild Sea Bass Fillet with Saffron and Mussel Sause was sublime. The taste buds in joyous celebration. I can still remember the experience. Perhaps the best Sea Bass I have had in London where it was not followed by a mind numbing over inflated price. As a starter I also recommend the Cornish Crab on Toast with Fennel and Apple. What a combination!
I can also report that my guest had the Chargrilled 10oz. Double Venison Chop with Squash and Hazelnuts and could not stop talking about the exquisite taste. I did try a generous bite and now know what I shall be ordering the next time I return to this wonderful place.
The evening was etched in memory with a generous helping of Treacle Tart with Clotted Cream and the best of Yarra Valley in a glass of Noble One Botrytis Semillon, the pride of Darren De Bortoli. I give the experience 5 stars for quality, value, selection, service and in a totally unpretentious setting. A must try!

• Visited November 2012
Kent, United Kingdom
“Michelin”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Great fish, well cooked. Superb service and comfortable surroundings. The most fabulous scallops and wonderful Brill.

Visited November 2012
UK
“Nathan really needs to work on this restaurant to survive here”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I have eaten in the restaurant at the Capital numerous times in the past when the chef was Eric Chavot, it was then a two Michelin starred restaurant and the food was always sublime. The restaurant has recently been taken over by Nathan Outlaw with a sea food menu. Nathan has a two star restaurant in Rock Cornwall and I remember eating in his restaurant in Fowey prior to and subsequent to him achieving his first Michelin star, his food was good. However at the Capital in my humble opinon he is going to have to work really hard to improve the standard there or the restaurant will be in trouble. The staff and service were excellent but the food leaves a lot to be desired. It was not inedible but the dinner we had based purely on the food was the worst meal we have eaten with a Michelin starred chef's name attached to it. The fish was well cooked but there was no real taste sensation in the flavours or combination of ingredients, it was very bland. I would have preferred my lemon sole just grilled on the bone there would have at least been more flavour, however this would not be Michelin style, I just mention this for comparison to illustrate the blandness. Also for instance the side dish of potato gratin with anchovies in my opinion just does't work, it was very dry and bitter and spoilt the taste of the fish. The buttered greens were equally poor. My starter of small pieces of scallop, crispy Oyster and cubes of cucumber is another example, okay but very bland. The restaurant needs to creat some better dishes. I am writing this review hoping that some notice will be taken of it by the management wishing the Hotel and the restaurant the very best and I mean it purely as constructive critism that I hope may be helpful. If they don't get any feedback they are not going to know. I have eaten for years in Michelin restaurants in the UK and abroad and therefore have some considerable experience to draw upon. Having said all this don't let me put you off visiting, I would highly recommend the Hotel, the dining room is very nice indeed, it is comfortable and opinion on food is always very subjective you may love it I don't know, but I have my doubts. The restaurant is new and will no doubt rapidly improve when they iron out the teething problems. If they don't they won't survive, the standard of food now in London is very high, the competition is fierce, a lot of dinners now are discerning. The next night we ate at Petrus, the food there was phenomenal and at an unbelievably higher level. I have always loved the Capital and I really hope Nathan can rise to the challenge.

• Visited November 2012