“Great food and interest venue”
Review of Cafe Spice Namaste

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Whitechapel
Cross street: Mansell Street
Transit: Tower Hill or Aldgate
Description: Tucked away on the outskirts of the City, Cafe Spice Namaste continues to impress London's Indian food fans. Housed in a 19th century former courthouse, the decor is an exotic mix of sumptuous fabrics and vibrant jewel colours. Chef-patron Cyrus Todiwala is passionate about authentic ingredients and recipes, including traditional Parsee dishes, so the menu is a far cry from the standard curry house fare. Diners can feast on familiar favourites like Goan prawn curry and chicken tikka makhkani, or opt for something more adventurous like the delicious ostrich bhuna.
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Had a business dinner at Cafe Spice while in London, following the owners recent TV fame. We tried different courses to share and all were excellent. The atmosphere was also very good. Would definitely go back

Write a ReviewReviews (1,093)

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We ate here on 9 November while in London for the weekend. We had been looking forward to it, having enjoyed our last visit - but left the restaurant very disappointed with the poor service, in particular for the price. We will not be returning here.
The food itself was excellent - papads & pickles, starters of lamb "naanwich" and prawns patia, mains of salmon and beef with saffron rice. In particular the lamb starter and salmon main were delicious. The restaurant is busy which provides a good atmosphere.
However, neither made up for the service. The first irritation was the waiter trying to remove my plate while we were still eating the papads & pickles. Service during starter / mains was fine & dessert / coffee menus were left on our table immediately plates were removed. As this was a one-off night out, we decided to order dessert & another drink each - 45 minutes later, no-one had taken our order & we had failed to attract the attention of any of the many waiting staff. At that stage, glasses empty, we were fed up being ignored & just wanted to leave. I left the table, found someone, asked for the bill & told them that no-one had been near us for 45 minutes. I might have expected an apology - but didn't get one.
The bill duly arrived - and 10 minutes later I had to leave the table again to find someone so I could pay.
There were plenty of waiting staff in the restaurant so there is no excuse for this level of service.
The restaurant is expensive, especially with the 12.5% discretionary service charge added - I didn't bother challenging it, as just wanted to leave but in this case it was certainly not deserved.
Very disappointing.

2  Thank CathBelfast
Reviewed November 3, 2013

have been coming here a few times a year since 1999. proprietors and staff always friendly and the parsee cooking combined with best of British ingredients never disappoints. On a recent visit with friends visiting from abroad we went for the "leave the choosing to us" option and it was excellent from start to finish. If you are used to sharing your Indian food then this works better since otherwise dishes come on western style individual plates and are not so easily shared. Make sure to take home a jar of chutney on sale at the bar.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

We visited this restaurant on 28th October after a visit to the Tower of London. We did book a table via Top Table. We thoroughly enjoyed our night out, the food was excellent, we went for the £35 per head taster menu and were treated to an absolute banquet. The flavours were amazing, we had prawns, chicken, lamb, duck and the best peshwari naan ever. Staff were friendly and attentive. We got to meet Cyrus who came out and mingled amongst the guests, he was an absolute star. I would definitely recommend this restaurant and will definitely go back.

1  Thank Secretshopper26
Reviewed October 30, 2013

To offer something so different and tasty when surrounded by so many other curry houses in E1 really must be applauded. There's real attention to detail in all aspects of the menu, including the drinks where a terrific Indian Pale Ale is offered. I 1st visited because I moved in nearby and retrospectively thought I must have been viewing it through rosé tinted glasses but my revisit was just as good, and I love the invention with the changing specials they offer ( this month a menu full of game). Really difficult to marry the quality experienced in both my visits to the (minority of) negative reviews.

1  Thank cansry