“Good service, average food”
Review of Busaba Eathai

Busaba Eathai
Ranked #1,262 of 23,211 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Bloomsbury
Description: Busaba Eathai, conceived by Alan Yau, is a modern Thai eatery offering a single course eating experience devised to feed you with minimum fuss. The diverse but simple menu offers a flavoursome selection of Thai salads, noodles, curries and stir-fries with an authenticity and freshness that surpasses expectations. The menu also offers an extensive list of Asian inspired juices and smoothies delivering a simple yet intelligent selection of wines, all with enough character to complement the food.
Reviewed November 21, 2012

The place is nicely decorated with a few Buddas stuck around the place to give it an Asian feel. You sit around large communal tables. Personally, I prefer long canteen tables for this type of communal eating.

The service was very enthusiastic and friendly, and everything we ordered arrived quickly.

The food is a bit of a let-down. When I ordered a Thai green curry the waitress warned it would be spicey. It wasn't, just a few bits of red chilli. They'd used sweetcorn as the main vegetable. Basically, it wasn't really authentic.

There are lots of these East Asian canteen restaurants around and the food is better at others I have tried, so I won't be rushing back here.

There are newer reviews for Busaba Eathai

Reviewed November 1, 2012

We wandered in here one day and returned for dinner on another occasion. The food was thai influenced fare, but not like a typical thai place in the States. A slightly dressy, special atmosphere in the evening-definately not to be missed.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

If I had to choose one place to eat for the rest of my life this would be it!!!!!! Everything on the menu is amazing but you cannot go here without trying the calamari and the king prawns from the intro section!!!!! Makes my mouth water just thinking about it. Wish they would share the recipe with me!

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I don't like the idea of communal seating. There were a number of large tables for sharing. Found a seating area for 3, although we were 2, but it was side by side so not very convivial for conversation. We became 3 eventually when a single diner joined us. Also, what you may assume to be a starter is classed as an extra so it turns up with your main course making it a bit of a 1 course muddle.

That aside, I thought the food was excellent (our choices anyway) and for the West End very reasonably priced. Service was good as well.

So 5* for the food and value, but 3* for the seating configuration. If you're ok with group dining then you will not be disappointed, but if you're looking for a more discreet/personal setting you might be.

1  Thank Cliff36
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We went to the Busba Eathai on Store Street because the one on Waldorf street always has a queue. We got seated immediately.

The table arrangement is very interesting but not atypical for central London. You go get to enjoy other peoples' conversation a bit too much.

The Pad Thai was really amazing. It is definitely the best value item on the menu. My girlfriend went for the Green Curry which was too spicy and they overcharge you for the sticky rice. Drinks are expensive.

Summary: Order the Pad Thai!