“Afternoon Tea”

Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: St. James's
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Gorgeous afternoon tea. Lovely little scones, the most fabulous range of teas which you must have without milk! A champagne cocktail and delicious pastries. All in a traditional afternoon tea setting with a very talented harpist.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

The Rose Lounge is fantastic, really lovely and pink, and the harpist adds to the atmosphere.

The food was overall very good, however I agree with previous comments that 3 or 4 smaller cakes rather 2 large ones would have been ideal. Only one pot of tea each though which was not enough.

My main complaint is the service charge. This was a real treat for us and we were only expecting to pay £32 each. The 12.5% service charge was added automatically with made it £36 each. We thought this was too much for what we got and the service wasn't great. But even so, if it had not been added automatically we would have left a tip.

The real problem was when we asked for the service charge to be removed the waitress wanted to know why. I thought this was rude since it is discretionary. From asking for the bill to leaving we were kept waiting over 15 minuets whilst the bill was changed and someone else took our payment. We were left feeling very uncomfortable and it spoilt the whole experience.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

My friend and I booked an afternoon tea here. We looked up afternoon teas in London online and found a website that listed all the places that received an award for 2013 for their afternoon tea, and the rose lounge was on the list and we chose it because we liked the photos and the reviews we found. We had booking for 2.30h and upon entering the hotel and inquiring at the reception about our tea we were told to sit down and wait a bit, very shortly after, our waiter came and showed us to the rose lounge and we chose our table. The room is all in creamy pink and beige colours, with comfy sofas and pillows, and a fireplace, and bookshelves; it really looks like someone's very beautiful & luxurious living room. Our waiter (who spoke English with french accent) introduced us to the menu and was basically around a lot, asking whether everything was okay, and filling up our tea and water. You can choose your tea, and then you get a selection of finger sandwiches, and you get scones (plain& with raisins), and clotted cream and raspberry jam and lemon curd and after you finish all that you choose a cake. You can choose 2 cakes, from a selection of french pastries. After a while, a lady came who started playing a harp so our tea was accompanied with lovely live classical music. This tea costs 28 pounds plus service charge (so it's 31.50 pounds) but you can also choose tea with a glass of champagne which is extra 4 or 5 pounds. We had a very relaxing experience, and the food was great. Tasty sandwiches, and amazing cakes, and it was all very filling.

Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I really enjoyed our afternoon tea experience at the Sofitel. The room is beautiful, not as big as other tea lounges and had a really cosy atmosphere with a harpist.

I was disappointed we were shown to a tiny table for 3, with quite formal straight back chairs. I was so hoping for the armchairs or sofa but apparently these had been reserved by other guests. We finally settled on an equally small table but the chairs at least had arms! The table was so small there was barely room for our plates, glasses and tea cup. Our tea pots had to sit on a separate table, which leads me to the service. Staff were pleasant but not very attentive. Not once did we have our cups refilled or asked if we needed more tea, (it went cold very quickly) and it was awkward reaching over for our teapots across the table without knocking into everything.

Food was very good. A choice of 4 finger sandwiches, 3 scones and a choice of 2 cakes.

I appreciate this tea is cheaper than other hotels, one of the reasons we booked here in the first place, if the service improved and there were more comfy chairs this would be one of the best spots in London!

1  Thank MaldivesForever23
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I traveled to London with my 12 years old daughter for her "Bat Mizva" (12th birthday).
I ordered in advance a place in the Rose Lounge in Sofitel Hotel using the site : http://www.afternoontea.co.uk/
this is a very nice way to rest while touring the great city.
The lounge is very cosy, decorated like an antique place with pink and rose colors, there is a fireplace (which was not in use , because it was June..)
and an Harpist who played while we ate and contributed to the atmosphere.
we ate some sandwiches, scones and great cakes and drank champagne (me) and strawberry smoothie (my daughter) and of course - some tea.
service was very good.
The Sofitel hotel is very close o the palace.