“Excellent indian experience”

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: South Kensington
Description: Opening in 1982, Bombay Brasserie was in the vanguard of modern Indian cuisine, with an inventive approach that married classic regional cooking with a European brasserie-style menu. The spacious interior, with its airy conservatory and bright murals, extends to a welcoming bar and a more traditional dining room well suited to the affluent Kensington clientele.
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Having searched around for a nice Indian restaurant on my recent visit to London, I came across the rave reviews for The Bombay Brasserie. There was no wait to be seated, our coats were taken, and the room is breathtaking. The range of drinks is very good, I went for an 8.5% Duvel. The food was outstanding, everything we tried was amazing. The service was very good. My only complaint was that the card readers were playing up and we had 4 declines of our cards before payment was accepted.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,086)

Reviewed November 29, 2012

We last ate here 7 years ago and it was fantastic and we agreed it was one of the best curry venues we had been to. So for a birthday treat my wife and I went yesterday and i thought that it was rubbish. I would have scored it 1/5 my wife was more generous.
We both had good starters but the main course we ordered was Goan Fish Curry, a hot chilli dish of mixed seafood. What we got was a few lumps of fish in tomato soup! It wasn't even slightly spicy.
To top it all the authentic Indian dining experience was facilitated by a Polish waitress. Now I have nothing against the hard working folk of Poland in fact I count some as good fiends, but come on. It must be the only curry house in London not employing authentic waiting staff.
The bill was huge and we could easily saved ourselves the trip to town and dined out at least twice at our local and better curry house.
It was also freezing cold!
A bit like a Ford Fiestra XR2i Once it was hot and now its not!

2  Thank Adrian H
Reviewed November 28, 2012

The front door is unassuming. Was pleasantly surprised to see such a lovely and quiet interior: high ceilings with tasteful decor and subdued lighting.

Within minutes of arriving without a reservation, my coat was checked at the front door and I was seated in the dining room. Noticed right away the crisp, white linen table cloths and the modern china (square, white plates) and cutlery.

Ordered the Prawn Balchao (prawns cooked with Goan vinegar and chilies), which was cooked in a thick and spicy tomato sauce. I would definitely go back just for this dish. It was heavenly.

Ordered a small side of Dal Makhani (lentils cooked in traditional Punjabi Style), which was ok. Also ordered some garlic nan.

Service is quite attentive but not overly intrusive. The waitress filled my empty glass twice.

A main with a small side, basmati rice, a garlic nan and sparkling water came to £40. A 10% service charge is automatically included. Noticed they included a £1 donation to the bill for some charity without informing me. I decided to pay it but another customer asked to remove it from his bill and he was a bit annoyed.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Have been to this place on and off since the 80s and it used to be wonderful. V disappointed by recent dinner visit. Champagne in the Mimosa cocktail in the bar was flat. The conservatory bit where we had the meal waschilly. They used to serve complimentary vegetable side dishes with mains - not now!. Chicken main course was lukewarm, tasted like it had been made with ketchup in the bland sauce and quallity of chicken was not great either. Get better from my local takeaway. We opted not to play the "discretionary" service charge which had been automatically added to bill - said we were disappointed by meal - but no one bothered to ask us why we were disappointed. Overpriced wines. Sorry Bombay Brasserie, you're not what you once were..

Reviewed November 25, 2012

This Resturant was right next door to the Millenium Baileys hotel that we stayed in, and from the moment we walked in it was a great experience. The ambience of the Resturant was quiet and very relaxing, the starters were just sublime not like any other Indian Resturant we have eaten in. I had the best lamb chops I have ever eaten, fragrant with a hint of spice. Dessert was a take on a French creme brûlée with Indian influences but the highlight of the meal was the house cobra coffee made in front of you with spun sugar, flames and lots of alcohol simply brilliant.