“Great chips!”

Ranked #997 of 24,329 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Camden
Description: Variety of fish 'n' chips and gourmet dipping sauces in a simple, hip space with communal tables.
Reviewed July 12, 2016

We came out to Hook for a different take on fish and chips. We split the Caribbean panko, with honey lime ketchup, as well as the pepper prawns with ginger sauce. Everything was fantastic, especially the chips. We also appreciated the beer selection, which even though pricey, was a bit closer to our tastes than what we had previously found in London. Would recommend, though it is a bit of a hike if you aren't staying local.

1  Thank sddawson7
Write a reviewReviews (669)

Reviewed July 8, 2016

Had the lemon bail tempura of sea bream with seaweed salted chips and truffle oil mayo. It was fantastic. Some of the best fish and chips I've had. Take away was fast and the staff was very friendly. Highly recommended.

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed July 3, 2016 via mobile

We visited at dinner time and were able to get a table without a wait. The service was attentive and we tried both tempura and panko style batters. The fish was tasty and we enjoyed both styles. The mushy peas were excellent and the chips were average. Portions were generous on all fronts. We would definitely return if we found ourselves in the Camden Garden area in the future.

Reviewed July 1, 2016

I've been to Hook Camden several times, each time hoping that the training for the waiters/waitresses would have improved. It hasn't in nearly a year. The food is delicious every time. Perfectly cooked fish, not burnt, not undercooked. Chips are delicious. Home made sauces so tasty too. I cannot give one fault to the quality of the food.

It seems to be under staffed. When we arrived last weekend, Saturday early evening around 6pm, about half the tables were empty but most still dirty from the previous diners. We had to go and collect our menu from the front counter because the waitress (alone on the floor) was running around looking busy but not doing much.

We waited longer than was comfortable to order drinks. Then food order was taken after she cleaned some tables. The food took a very long time to appear. I know it is all hand made in house but for simple fish and chips we shouldn't need to wait over half an hour.

We noticed two different tables had to flag down the waitresses more than once to order drinks and the bill. Two waitresses for a Saturday night in Camden definitely isn't enough staff. They could also be trained better to understand the flow of a restaurant. The tables need to be cleared straight away to entice diner in from the street instead of sitting dirty for 20 minutes!!

Asked three times for the bill before losing patience and going up to the counter to ask to pay by card. Nobody should need to try that hard to pay their food bill.

I really do love the food hear but I will never agin sit and dine inside the restaurant. Every single time I've been, I haven't been willing to pay service. It would have been quicker for me to open my own bottle of beer, collect my own plate from the kitchen, and return it to the dishwasher at the end.

Reviewed June 29, 2016 via mobile

Always lovely going here, the fish is fresh and crispy. The potatoes are too fat for my liking, if you like fat wedges instead of skinny fries they this may not be the one for you.

Staff are so nice always but outside of one waiter the waitresses always seem to change every week I go. I can't understand why that is?

The tables and chairs could be improved as they are somewhat small for my large frame.

Also the presentation in the box makes it hard to cut the fish sometimes...

Date of visit: January 2016