“Tasty and welcoming ”

Shishlique
Order Online
Ranked #8,203 of 24,096 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Turkish
Description: A modern take on the Authentic and Traditional Turkish Cuisine. We have a great selection of meats on the skewer Chargrilled for the best taste. Also Fresh fish cooked on charcoal and great selection of meze's. There is also a vegetarian selection including a chargrilled vegetarian skewer. Enjoy our great range of wines and Beers or Bring your own at a small corkage charge.
Reviewed February 20, 2018 via mobile

We have been in this restaurant for dinner, the atmosphere was welcoming and relaxed, you can see the chefs coking and the smell in there it is just amazing!
We wanted to try lot’s of different things and we were happy and satisfied about each course!
The staff it is super friendly and willing to help with every request.
We go back every time we can!
I definitely recommend!!

Date of visit: February 2018
Write a reviewReviews (69)

Reviewed November 15, 2017

I am not here to lambaste the owner or plough in like others have but clearly there's a problem.

It's gone from being one of the most popular Turkish restaurants in NW London to something less so. The owner has clearly tried to take a fresh approach; he's spent money and re-branded but unfortunately, the new decor, the name, style or the offering is not at all to my taste when previously it could do no wrong.

I understand if businesses need to change for owners to be profitable, but it looks like you've been given bad advice and/or listened to poor recommendations.

I have left a photo of my regular order at the old Shish Mangal.

Date of visit: July 2017
2  Thank alexanderaM7862UU
ali f, Owner at Shishlique, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2017

Hi Alexander. I appreciate your honest review and thoughts. The reality is that changes had to be made mainly due to the lack of space and us attempting to upgrade the business and restaurant environment. I understand that's the decor may not be to everyone's taste but the vast majority of our customers like the change and new decoration. The main thing for us is our food, it's quality and our price which have all stayed the same. Hope you will try us again at some point.

Reviewed October 28, 2017

I am very disappointed having been a frequent diner (both eat in and take out) when it was "Shish Mangal". The previous restaurant (same owners I believe) was an authentic Turkish, quality food, no chips or burgers (just what you want from an authentic eatery and was a welcome addition to the area when it opened a couple of years back given the poor quality other kebab options - so was great to have quality which clearly was a sentiment felt by many here as the restaurant was always busy .

However I fear like many business owners they decide to cut costs or try to be more efficient on the costs / profits and this shows as the place has changed and been rebranded "Shishlique", now has a bar (previously it did not sell alcohol but you could bring a bottle) and the menu has changed for the worse - no longer are there options for 1 or 2 skewer options - its just 1 size, but more so is the addition of chips, burgers, cheesy chips !!!! the list goes on.
Then the service and food quality, I did go and try (actually 3 times before I decided enough it enough - I was hoping I had a bad day as really did love the previous place). Service always good, no change there, great people however the kebab (adana) now one size means regardless you pay for what was the large, but rather than 2 skewers (previously the standard was 1 x skewer and the large x2 skewers) now its 1 x thicker skewer meaning more mince but less flavour as too thick. The rise twice out of 3 visits was stodgy, this rarely ever happened in the past.

I hope the owners realise they have made a mistake and revert the menu back to a model and restaurant that worked better for the community - I somehow fear not but this does leave an opening for an investor that wants to offer traditional Turkish food.

In summary im a local to the area (born and bred) and truly disappointed - for the reasons above, genuine nice people, was a much needed welcome addition to the community, worked well, and then I fear may had got greedy. Ive seen it before.

Date of visit: October 2017
2  Thank tel1973
ali f, Owner at Shishlique, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2017

I am sorry to hear about your experience and take on board your comments.
We made changes to the restaurant both aesthetically and in terms of menu based on the feedback we got. With the amount of money spent on reconfiguring the restaurant, it does not warrant a comment of us trying to save on costs. On the contarary, it was what many customers asked, that we provide a more comfortable and relaxing environment to eat in.
In regards to single and double skewers allow me to explain. We previously had a medium and a large skewer. 90% of our customers ordered a large as it was better value for money. For example a medium chicken shish was £5.50 and a large was £7.50 and you got double the meat (profit margin for us on a medium was higher than a large). This meant that previously when we had 10 orders we had to put 20 skewers on the grill. During busy times it became very hard to manage the grill and hence the decision to have a single large skewer. With reapect the the lamb Adana the larger skewer means it does not dry up and the feedback we have had is that it is even better than before. But I would be happy to hear from you first hand as to why you where not happy and invite you for a free meal on us. I am always interested in having a dialogue with our customers and understanding their perspective better.
Regarding chips and the burger, we wanted to add other items that people had been requesting. With all this there is an element of trial and error and we are adjusting our menu as we move on.
The Yogurtlu will be back from next week as many of our customers have asked for it along with the Aubergine salsa.
And your final point of BYOB, we have come to learn that our customers are quite particular about their wine and like to have a wider choice than what we could provide in house, so we have decided to allow the BYOB on wimes along sides having our own bar.

Reviewed October 28, 2017

We have lived in Central London for decades and long before trip advisor and reviews sites were born. We are very well traveled love to try Michelin starred restaurants and love, even more, to find hidden tucked away little gems. I have learned to completely ignore some reviews as people just don't have a clue. Take it from me this is as good if not better than some of the top eateries of similar cuisine in the heart of the West End and even better than what we had from our holidays to Turkey. The food if you know your food, is clearly quality and not your average Turkish kebab shop, and looks likes it prepared is clean, the well-maintained environment at a fraction of the cost. Arguably, due to the size of this quaint little place, you get impeccable attention to the service. I notice they have recently refurbished hence we decided to dive in as we have always preferred sit and dine slowly, not in fast food style place. The decor is sophisticated, and my only personal preference could possibly do with some more traditional Turkish ornaments and paintings possibly. The food consists of very succulent meats, some amazing grilled fish, which I think was exceptional off the grill and starters: hummus and calamari were sensational. The drink we had a very nice quality bottle of wine, which was unexpected for the price we paid for it. I can honestly say with the utmost sincerity you can not get a better quality Turkish cuisines in a tidy well serviced, a relaxed restaurant from any competing local eateries and I have tried most over the years.Since then I would add we have since popped in just to share a bottle of wine, with bread and hummous. I'm pleased to say we were hesitant they might not like it, but were met with a big welcome and smile and felt very comfortable. overall top Marks Shishlique. You have won me and my wife over and that takes some doing! *****Highly Recommend, great value*****

Date of visit: October 2017
2  Thank Michael B
ali f, Owner at Shishlique, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2017

Many Thanks for your review and the compliments and support.

Reviewed October 17, 2017

This place is now called Shishalicous and has changed dramatically but alas, not for the better. When trading as the Shish Mangal it was Turkish bbq heaven, now it's a rather sad wannabe.
Same management, same menu, same staff are the claims but I never saw any evidence of that on my visit a short while ago.
The doner is off the menu altogether but they are proud that chips have been added, by popular demand apparently? I was discussing with the manager that they seem to have started catering for the not so sophisticated diner and abandoning some of their authenticity. Not sure who won the discussion when the table behind me ordered chicken wings and chips, I wanted to tell them KFC was down the road lol...BTW if you were partial to the yoglurter kebabs, off the menu.
You won't find a kebab under £12 now so quite a price hike for underserving food.
Deserts just aren't worth bothering about.
The service was just so bad!! The waitress brought the main meal to the table not having cleared the starter things away, she then took my dirty cutlery and tried to give it back to me for my main meal. She then left us sitting there staring at the food (shared platter) with no plates, on finally asking for plates she brought us the teeny tiny starter saucers. The manager had to butt in and get us dinner plates. Everytime we had to ask for table clearence. It was not busy, total of 8 people dining.
They now have a drinks license so gone is popping into tesco across the road for a bottle of plonk. Needless to say you won't be paying the best part of £20 for the house wine which probably came from across the road at Tesco's.
The Shish Mangal has definately gone and this is just a very disappointingly poor substitute, most definately NOT a replacement.
Not all is lost though there is the Fez Mangal in Ladbroke Grove, Shishes big sister!

Date of visit: September 2017
2  Thank lorrainep397
ali f, Owner at Shishlique, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2017

Dear Lorraine. In respect to the service you recieved I can can apologise and rest assure I will be speaking to the staff in order to rectify the issues and prevent them from happening again.
Beyond that there are a lot of factual inaccuracies in your comments. Remember as general businesses, we appreciate any feedback as they can be helpful in improving our business and addressing our short comings. But these have to be factually correct.
The restaurant is not shishalicious as you have stated but Shishlique. The concept behind shishlique was that we offer Shish and Liquor and thus the name Shishlique.
It is owned by the same owner as when it was Shish Mangal.
To state that you will not find a kebab under £12 is just wrong. And a quick look at the menu that anyone can find online will confirm that. All our kebabs when you eat in are £10 And get served with rice and salad. The takeaway is £7.50 the same as it has been previously. These prices have hardly gone up since we opened 3 years ago. We serve high quality meat as we have over the last 3 years thats is prepared daily.
In regard to the desserts we have now added to what we previously sold which was Baklawa. This is still also on the menu.
And finally in regards to the drink, we made every effort to give our customers a quality product from one of the best suppliers in the country. In terms of price we have cut our margins in order to provide the customer with a good quality wine at reasonable prices. As an example our house red wine is £17 and it very good quality for a house wine that bruery recomeneded that we sell it for £21. The same applies to all our red and white wines where we cut on the recommended prices.
Finally to class and label other customers as not so sophisticated is a little harsh and some what judgemental and to make fun of people because they order chicken wings and chips is not particularly nice.
Please bare in mind your comments are read by many people and if they are correct they can be both useful to the a business and to potential customers. But if they are not, you could potentially harm not only a business but putting at risk the employees who are working and relying their salary and livelyhood from such businesses.