“We dine out at fancy places a lot, so some reviews initially put us off trying this place, but....”
Review of Shishlique

Shishlique
Order Online
Ranked #8,203 of 24,096 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Turkish
Description: A modern take on the Authentic and Traditional Turkish Cuisine. We have a great selection of meats on the skewer Chargrilled for the best taste. Also Fresh fish cooked on charcoal and great selection of meze's. There is also a vegetarian selection including a chargrilled vegetarian skewer. Enjoy our great range of wines and Beers or Bring your own at a small corkage charge.
Reviewed October 28, 2017

We have lived in Central London for decades and long before trip advisor and reviews sites were born. We are very well traveled love to try Michelin starred restaurants and love, even more, to find hidden tucked away little gems. I have learned to completely ignore some reviews as people just don't have a clue. Take it from me this is as good if not better than some of the top eateries of similar cuisine in the heart of the West End and even better than what we had from our holidays to Turkey. The food if you know your food, is clearly quality and not your average Turkish kebab shop, and looks likes it prepared is clean, the well-maintained environment at a fraction of the cost. Arguably, due to the size of this quaint little place, you get impeccable attention to the service. I notice they have recently refurbished hence we decided to dive in as we have always preferred sit and dine slowly, not in fast food style place. The decor is sophisticated, and my only personal preference could possibly do with some more traditional Turkish ornaments and paintings possibly. The food consists of very succulent meats, some amazing grilled fish, which I think was exceptional off the grill and starters: hummus and calamari were sensational. The drink we had a very nice quality bottle of wine, which was unexpected for the price we paid for it. I can honestly say with the utmost sincerity you can not get a better quality Turkish cuisines in a tidy well serviced, a relaxed restaurant from any competing local eateries and I have tried most over the years.Since then I would add we have since popped in just to share a bottle of wine, with bread and hummous. I'm pleased to say we were hesitant they might not like it, but were met with a big welcome and smile and felt very comfortable. overall top Marks Shishlique. You have won me and my wife over and that takes some doing! *****Highly Recommend, great value*****

Date of visit: October 2017
2  Thank Michael B
ali f, Owner at Shishlique, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2017

Many Thanks for your review and the compliments and support.

Write a reviewReviews (69)

Reviewed October 17, 2017

This place is now called Shishalicous and has changed dramatically but alas, not for the better. When trading as the Shish Mangal it was Turkish bbq heaven, now it's a rather sad wannabe.
Same management, same menu, same staff are the claims but I never saw any evidence of that on my visit a short while ago.
The doner is off the menu altogether but they are proud that chips have been added, by popular demand apparently? I was discussing with the manager that they seem to have started catering for the not so sophisticated diner and abandoning some of their authenticity. Not sure who won the discussion when the table behind me ordered chicken wings and chips, I wanted to tell them KFC was down the road lol...BTW if you were partial to the yoglurter kebabs, off the menu.
You won't find a kebab under £12 now so quite a price hike for underserving food.
Deserts just aren't worth bothering about.
The service was just so bad!! The waitress brought the main meal to the table not having cleared the starter things away, she then took my dirty cutlery and tried to give it back to me for my main meal. She then left us sitting there staring at the food (shared platter) with no plates, on finally asking for plates she brought us the teeny tiny starter saucers. The manager had to butt in and get us dinner plates. Everytime we had to ask for table clearence. It was not busy, total of 8 people dining.
They now have a drinks license so gone is popping into tesco across the road for a bottle of plonk. Needless to say you won't be paying the best part of £20 for the house wine which probably came from across the road at Tesco's.
The Shish Mangal has definately gone and this is just a very disappointingly poor substitute, most definately NOT a replacement.
Not all is lost though there is the Fez Mangal in Ladbroke Grove, Shishes big sister!

Date of visit: September 2017
2  Thank lorrainep397
ali f, Owner at Shishlique, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2017

Dear Lorraine. In respect to the service you recieved I can can apologise and rest assure I will be speaking to the staff in order to rectify the issues and prevent them from happening again.
Beyond that there are a lot of factual inaccuracies in your comments. Remember as general businesses, we appreciate any feedback as they can be helpful in improving our business and addressing our short comings. But these have to be factually correct.
The restaurant is not shishalicious as you have stated but Shishlique. The concept behind shishlique was that we offer Shish and Liquor and thus the name Shishlique.
It is owned by the same owner as when it was Shish Mangal.
To state that you will not find a kebab under £12 is just wrong. And a quick look at the menu that anyone can find online will confirm that. All our kebabs when you eat in are £10 And get served with rice and salad. The takeaway is £7.50 the same as it has been previously. These prices have hardly gone up since we opened 3 years ago. We serve high quality meat as we have over the last 3 years thats is prepared daily.
In regard to the desserts we have now added to what we previously sold which was Baklawa. This is still also on the menu.
And finally in regards to the drink, we made every effort to give our customers a quality product from one of the best suppliers in the country. In terms of price we have cut our margins in order to provide the customer with a good quality wine at reasonable prices. As an example our house red wine is £17 and it very good quality for a house wine that bruery recomeneded that we sell it for £21. The same applies to all our red and white wines where we cut on the recommended prices.
Finally to class and label other customers as not so sophisticated is a little harsh and some what judgemental and to make fun of people because they order chicken wings and chips is not particularly nice.
Please bare in mind your comments are read by many people and if they are correct they can be both useful to the a business and to potential customers. But if they are not, you could potentially harm not only a business but putting at risk the employees who are working and relying their salary and livelyhood from such businesses.

Reviewed September 22, 2017

Very good for meat eaters, not so for vegetarians saw the chef put my bread onto a hotplate that had just had meat on... Umm however, if you like your meat kebabs you will enjoy. I found on my last visit the smoke from cooking the meat was overwhelming and being a vegetarian was not nice.However, this does not detract from the fact that if you want kebabs you will enjoy. Not for me though.

Date of visit: May 2017
2  Thank Netteflondon
ali f, Owner at Shishlique, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2017

Many thanks for your comments. I am not sure what you mean about the bread and meat both being on the hot plate as the bread is warmed on metal plate on the charcoal that is only for bread and is not designed for meat to go onto it, but will be happy to talk to you if you would like to call in. We always respect our vegetarian customers and make every effort to keep the meat and vegetable from being in contact with each other.
We do have a selection of variety of vegetarian dishes, the falafel wrap and halloumi skewer being the most popular ones.
All our mezzes are also vegetarian with the exception or the Tarama. We also have great salads that are prepared daily.
In regards to the smell it maybe the fan speed for the extractor was not high enough but I will ask the staff to ensure that it is turned up in particular during busy times when the grill is full.

Reviewed June 25, 2017 via mobile

I cannot believe the review before me. These guy are the most cleanliness people I have ever seen. The staff are Amazing. From Aziz who is the most approachable person you could ever meet. He cooks the food with a smile even through the heat we have had. The food is to die for. I have eaten everything here. I.e. The donor chicken wings Shish. I love the fish. The other staff are all amazing. Yes it is busy. Why. Because the food is to die for. Forget a one and only negative review. I love it here

Date of visit: June 2017
7  Thank lynnelin
Reviewed June 7, 2017 via mobile

Coming from Australia, our kebab shops are pretty bad. Edible only at 3am after a lot of alcohol.

Shish Mangal is my local Turkish restaurant, so I frequent often.
They have kebab meat cooked on the rotisserie, however the star is the marinated meat cooked over the hot coals.
I've never had a kebab so full of flavour and so fresh.
The homemade hummus which comes with warmed pitta bread is also full of flavour.
Very good value for money!

Date of visit: June 2017