“Wonderful ambiance and food ”
Review of Rules Restaurant

Rules Restaurant
Ranked #866 of 24,772 Restaurants in London
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: Established by Thomas Rule in 1798, Rules is a Covent Garden institution and the oldest restaurant in London. Tuxedoed waiters glide around the formal interior, decorated with antique sketches, where plush banquettes offer a discreet retreat from the main dining room. The whole-hearted menu of traditional British food specialises in classic game cookery, oysters, pies and puddings, featuring game birds, roe deer and Belted Galloway beef fresh from the establishment's own High Pennines estate. The wine list is a French-led affair, or there are native draught beers served in silver tankards.
Reviewed May 28, 2019 via mobile

The decor is amazing and warm and really makes you feel like you’re experiencing a London from years before.

Service was all friendly and efficient and the food was great. Their strawberry/custard dessert and chicken meat pie were the standouts.

2  Thank KaMa718
Write a reviewReviews (4,738)

Reviewed May 27, 2019

Everything at Rules was very posh, except for our meal. We were disappointed that items like Pheasant, Quail were not on the evenings menu. We were told they were out of season(Whatever that means). We both made a big mistake and ordered the Suckling Pig. We were both served an "O" bone in 1" thick slab of dried out Pork, that had nothing suckling about it. Meal came with a tablespoon of Apple sauce, and a gravy ladle of Apple water like juice. Neither added any moisture to this dried out over cook slab of meat. Our side dishes of fresh Pea soup and Scalloped Potato was fine, but needless to say, our 200 pound meal did not live up to our expectations.

2  Thank RPVWilly
Reviewed May 26, 2019

We've been to Rules several times through the years,usually with chums from abroad-it is so unique--still Edwardian. Ambiance,service perfect. Food was flawed by the absence of kidneys in the Steak & Kidney Pudding---I detected only a quarter of one !! I did not complain as I was a guest.

1  Thank Saqqajja
Reviewed May 24, 2019

What a hidden gem this is in the midst of the hustle and bustle of Covent Garden.

The cocktail bar is upstairs in a quiet location with chaise longue type sofas and a breath taking Winter Garden.

You can not fault the service in here, knowledgeable waiters approach discreetly and are happy to make recommendations and answer questions, just ask about the Screaming Viking which by the way I would thoroughly recommend. They even ask you how you’re getting on with your crossword and what exhibition you’ve been to see. It’s a classy joint.

I know you’re paying top prices but I think it’s worth it for a high class snifter.

Oh and while I was in there two gentlemen were rebuked for talking loudly into their mobile phones. Which I was delighted to see, phoned can be used but only in silent mode.

Pay a visit and revel in the high class surroundings and well heeled clients.

1  Thank Fiona P
Reviewed May 23, 2019

Met some friends for lunch. I made this booking because I was looking for somewhere "authentic" and close to my Hotel. Did not disappoint. Impeccable service and fine dining in elegant and historic surroundings. It is a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for.

2  Thank Indstrl