“Very British. Very, very good.”
Review of Rules Restaurant

Rules Restaurant
Ranked #343 of 23,211 Restaurants in London
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: Established by Thomas Rule in 1798, Rules is a Covent Garden institution and the oldest restaurant in London. Tuxedoed waiters glide around the formal interior, decorated with antique sketches, where plush banquettes offer a discreet retreat from the main dining room. The whole-hearted menu of traditional British food specialises in classic game cookery, oysters, pies and puddings, featuring game birds, roe deer and Belted Galloway beef fresh from the establishment's own High Pennines estate. The wine list is a French-led affair, or there are native draught beers served in silver tankards.
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Went here with a friend in mid-December for a celebratory dinner. The atmosphere in the restaurant was wonderful - full of genuine history and tastefully decorated for the festive season. The service was superb - very discreet and attentive enough.

My friend opted for a pie which, I have to say, looked like possibly the best pie I've ever seen - apparently it lived up to its looks in taste. I had Dorset crab to start, which was superb, and pheasant for main. I went with the waiter's cooking recommendation and clarified that it would come nicely pink - it came a bit nearer to well done for my liking which was a shame as everything else was fantastic. The prices of some of the dishes are quite expensive (in the £20s) so I do expect things to be right. The wine list was good and we paid something like £65 for a very nice bottle of Volnay 1er Cru which I thought was reasonable. The bar upstairs did very nice cocktails.

My friend, who'd been before, rates it as his favourite in London and said he'd eat there all the time if he could afford to. It was a very nice experience and I'd definitely go back again one day.

There are newer reviews for Rules Restaurant

Reviewed December 21, 2012

For a business diner I went to the Rules in London. The oldest restaurant in town. Marvellous decoraton for Xmas, very welcoming staff and a phenomenal menu with special british food. Eventhoug I'm not english I loved the specialties I tried, particularly the steak and kidney pudding (a marvel). Eveything was almost perfect in the english tradition. Well educated and friendly waiters, overall warm ambiance with good accoustics. Really a place to go when you go next time to London.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Visited in November for a business function. We were a large party and had a separate function room on the second floor with a set menu. The restaurant itself and the service was very good. I was however, a little disappointed with the food. The crab starter was very good and I would readily order it again (which is saying something given that I am not a big fan of crab). The main was a roast rib of beef and in my view was fairly average given that Rules is such a reputable restaurant. I can honestly say that my wife does a better job of a roast rib of beef dinner, particularly the roast potatoes. The desert was a lemon meringue. It may be that I was full from the starter, main and a glass or two of wine, but I was not particularly impressed with it. Overall the meal was good but not as great as I was expecting it to be.

I will try to return again and this time give the normal menu a go as it looks fantastic. I expect it was the fact that we were a large group on a set menu that resulted in the experence being less impressive than I thought it would be

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Wonderful food, superb wine list, first class service, and an atmosphere gained over nearly 300 years of serving discerning Londoners. Reasonably priced, although you can spend seriously if you choose, and a dress code that means you could see jeans next to tiara,
Superb!!

Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

Been here 5 times now and love it,I have to agree the service was not as good as it has and should have been

But this place has something very magical about it this time of year

I will certainly be there for a sixth visit