“A feast of outstanding food!”

Hakkasan Hanway Place Restaurant
Ranked #343 of 23,023 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Fitzrovia
Description: Hakkasan Hanway Place is the original Hakkasan restaurant. This Michelin-starred Chinese restaurant designed by Christian Liaigre has recreated the luxurious glamour of the past by combining Chinese history, tradition and architecture. Wooden lattice screens carved out of dark English oak invite discerning guests for a unique dining experience with contemporary cuisine from Chef Tong Chee Hwee. The menu has a strong Chinese ethnic identity with an ethos of Cantonese cooking that will be informed by a progressive approach, underpinned by authenticity rather than traditionalism. Hakkasan Hanway Place has launched Dim Sum Sundays, a weekly lunch event hosted by resident lounge DJs, available every Sunday from 12:00 until 17:45.
Rossendale, United Kingdom
“A feast of outstanding food!”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

My first time to Hakkersan and totally impressed greeted at the door then again by name at reception and showed straight to our table. Really organised for 8pm on Saturday evening, the whole experience was amazing. Superb food, wine and ambience. Looking forward to my next visit to London to experience this again!

Visited March 2013

• Turkish first
UK
“Mixed feelings...”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Had been looking forward to our visit but on arrival were put in the bar for 30 minutes as our table wasn't ready. When we did get our table we felt rushed and towards the end of our meal (after 90 minutes) we were positively pushed out to make way for the next seating (despite the lengthy delay getting the table in the first place). We asked for coffee and were told that there wasn't time - the table was needed for someone else! As we left we saw the front desk promising to clear more tables for customers just arriving. This place seemed all about diner turnover and generating money...

On a positive note, the food was some of the best Chinese food I have ever had.

Unfortunately however the prices were correspondingly high (occasional dishes on the menu over £100!).

Left feeling unwelcome and slightly ripped off… I can think of far better ways to spend my money.

• Visited December 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Good quality in a smart ambience”
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Place is central but tuck in a corner that may be hard to find for some. Place is expensively furnished in dark posh ambience. We had a simple dim sum for two. Quality of food is overall good: the sling of the Cheong Fun and Har Kau n Siew Mai is just right: right thickness to feel body in our mouths but not too thick that taste hard. What is missing I think is a lack of oil which always give Chinese food that extra flavour n texture. Will have to revisit the place again to try the main dishes.

Moscow, Russia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice food”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I love the dimsum there but the main dishes for are just average compared to the expensive price we pay. The atmosphere is nice, crowded with very friendly staffs. However, I'm not sure about the venue which is dark, gloomy and the narrow distances between each table.

• Visited March 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Jaded, tired and far from its former hip self”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Wow, what a disappointment this was. I had two friends from Paris unexpectedly come to town and I needed a restaurant which they'd enjoy at short notice. I managed to get us a table on Saturday evening (this in itself should have been warning enough). I'd not been to Hakkasan for a couple of years, but had always enjoyed it in the past. Well, the restaurant has gone completely Essex, full of fat old men, middle aged "bachelors" celebrating a Birth Day and tarty girls, but what is worse is the jaded staff, they all look exhausted, bored and ready to go home and that is exactly how they handled customers, as if they were on automatic pilot and simply going through the motions.
My friends main courses arrived ten minutes before my own, I pointed this out to the waiter and he looked at me blankly as if I was speaking a foreign tongue. I received not an apology, or acknowledgement. My friends are far too polite to begin their meal before mine arrived, so it was an awkward situation for all.
I am a regular at Yauatcha, Hakkasan's sister restaurant and they always inform you that the food does not come out in a specific order, Hakkasan does not follow this practise, and in numerous past visits have not practised this form of serving, and none of the tables around us received courses ad hoc.
I ordered a Sticky Toffee Pudding for dessert and it arrived lukewarm, lukewarm for this dessert does not work, I ended up sending it back. Again, not an apology or acknowledgement, in fact, the manager put the hot version down in front of me and walked away without saying a word...
Needless to say I won't be returning.
And one final note, any restaurant which has blaring MOR music is well and truly past it; I wasn't sure if I was there for food or a Northern wedding...

• Visited March 2013