“Gone down the drain.”

Belgo Centraal
Ranked #886 of 22,367 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Belgian, Bar, Seafood, European, Central European
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: Set in a former warehouse in Covent Garden, Belgo Centraal's staircase descends into a Beer Hall with long refectory tables waited on by staff in Trappist monk outfits and head sets. But this is no silent order; it's bustling and noisy with many customers tucking into steaming bowls of mussels in a variety of broths and platters. There are also two main dining rooms and a selection of more intimate dining booths. Seeking something substantial? The stews include Moules Blanches cooked in Bruges beer with smoked bacon, all served with frites. From the Rotisserie, choose from beer basted spit roast Belgian chicken or duck, or peruse the extensive main menu which includes the veggie-friendly Artichoke stuffed with Wild Mushrooms, Asparagus and Pine Nuts. Of course, there are over 50 Belgian beers to taste, including Fruit Beers in varieties such as cherry or banana!
“Gone down the drain.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

I have been here several times. It was a genuinely exciting buzzing place when it opened. It served excellent beers and very decent moules and frites.

Last time I went the moules were tired, far from fresh and the frites tasted suspiciously mass-produced. Worse followed. I went for one last chance two weeks ago and the two epople controlling the door had no communication between them. We were about to be ushered in (we had no reservation and didn't claim ) when the other person stopped us and said "hopefully you won't have to wait more than half an hour". Err...not prepared to wait five minutes thank you! My last visit for sure.

Visited April 2013

• Thai first
  • Turkish first
“Never lets you down”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

This place is like your old Belgian friend that you get to see 2-3 times a year, but you always pick things up right where you left them, in the most natural manner: consistently friendly, unpretentious, warm and accommodating.

Our last visit was 3 weeks ago for a pre-theatre quick bite, and as usual Belgo Centraal has lived up to the expectations. No wait at all for a table of 4 around 6:00pm, fast and friendly service. I really enjoyed my lobster, crab and king prawn burger that comes with chunky fries, and my husband’s roast chicken with tomato and herbs sauce was delicious too.

One other thing that is really great is their selection of beers, we were able to find some fantastic Lambics for the girls (coconut and passion fruit), some non-alcoholic and some gluten free and a great variety of ales and lagers. They brand themselves as “the paradise for the curious beer drinker” and this is not far from the truth.

If there is one thing that needs improving, I would say it is the ventilation downstairs, every now and then the smell of food gets into your clothes. In regards to the menu, I would have liked to see some traditional Belgian soup on there, maybe one or two options.

The service was also really good, our waitress Kaje had a positive attitude and a very friendly manner. Notice the servers’ outfits in there– we thought they looked charming and full of character.

I would strongly recommend this place for the following: 1. if you love mussels; 2. their selection of beers; 3. fantastic location in Covent Garden and authentic atmosphere.

• Visited March 2013
Cheshire
“Slipped a bit since my last visit.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

I nipped in here for a quick dinner and a couple of special beers. Despite having visited a number of times previously, it's the first time I have left a little underwhelmed.

I was seated quickly and service was OK. Worryingly, my food arrived no more than 60 seconds after I ordered it, which must mean the half roast chicken I ordered had been sitting under a heat lamp awaiting the next order. Whilst the chicken may not have suffered unduly from the time under the heat lamp as it was moist and tasty, the fries that accompanied it certainly did.

The atmosphere in Belgos is normally superb. Seating is often alongside strangers akin to Wagamamma if you're familiar with that restaurant? However, on this occasion a coach load of noisy young school kids made it more like a trip to the school canteen than a more adult environment.

Service charge is automatically added to the bill, which is something I think the UK is not yet accustomed to? I'll return, but will specify fresh food next time I think.

It's worth a visit just to sample some of their large selection of Belgian beer.

• Visited April 2013
York, United Kingdom
“Moules frites a must”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is one of the restaurants which I visit every time I come to London. The food is good and reasonably priced. If you like beer there's a good selection. The staff is friendly and helpful.

Visited April 2013
“Yummy Mussels”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

We love this place. Super fresh delicious mussels and lovely fruit beer at reasonable price considering its locaion.

• Visited March 2013